Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Shoulder surgery, can't play

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Funk, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    I'm sitting here looking at my Jaco bass, my 60's classic jazz and my Thumb NT and I can't even pick them up let alone play them. I had some pretty serious work done on my left shoulder yesterday and it could be several weeks before I can play again. Anybody else going through a deal like this?
    How do you keep your spirits up? Thank goodness for Talk Bass.!

Kevin :crying:

2. I've had a couple of nasty back injuries. I had enough of a time rolling over to even think of picking up an instrument. I had to play a few shows sitting down as well...

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    kevin, that's what the vicoden they gave you is for - :p

but seriously, how about working on your head knowledge of music theory? my guitar teacher told me a story about two jazz muscicans he played with that worked together in a factory. they would spend time by naming chords to each other and the other one had to respond with all the notes in the chord. he suggested making flash cards with 3x5 cards with chord names on one side and the chord tones on the other, mixing them up, and quizzing yourself on them a few times a day. same with scales, modes, etc

4. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    Hey DF, I went through the same thing a year ago. Separated shoulder with torn ligaments and dislocation that had to be surgically repaired. I was talking to the surgeon the next day complaining that I wouldn't be able to play for quite some time. His answer was to learn to sing. I could already sing but it did plant something in my head. I was at the time working on getting my ear better and transcribing tunes I was hearing. I decided that he wasn't really too far off with the suggestion so in those hours around the house I would grab my little yamaha kids keyboard and throw on some music and transcribe basslines by ear. I kept the keyboard there as reference only. I would listen to the melody or the bassline and double check the key with the keyboard but then I would work on writing down the music.

It took a while but the payoff was huge. After a little time i was able to write out complete lines without picking up the bass or the keyboard.
    Maybe not your bag or what you were looking for but for me it sure beat sitting there and eating everything that passed in front of me or wasting away in front of the tv.

Kind of falls in line with what IvanMike suggested.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    bummer

i hope everything works out for the better

:)

6. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the great advice. I pulled out my torn up copy of Music Theory Made Easy and I'm gonna study it. Also, maybe I'll finally open up the bass chord book I bought but never read. I feel better already! :hyper:

7. Time to work on some right hand technique ;)

Uh, take that any way you want!

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Some times it's good to have a break. Enjoy it and come back with fresh ideas :)

9. That's a great idea in terms of technique
    Also can you move your fingers?
    If you can just get say a plastic drinking bottle rest it on a table so you don't have to take the weight ( your thumb should be on one side of the bottle and the rest of your fingers should be on the opposite side of the bottle till where your thumb is ) and do some scales
    ie
    Imagine the fretboard in your head
    Play scales by using your fretting hand but your picturing the scale in your head so your then moving your fingers as how you would play the scale
    This is just for LH technique I do this when I'm just walking just make sure noone see's you :D
    But yeah I also agree with the theory side theres sites here that can help your ears
    http://www.good-ear.com
    Anyway I wish you Luck and a speedy recovery