1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shouldn't I keep the Cruise?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zapp, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    Recently finally added a Sterling, maple fretboard, to the stable and love the feel. i had an old Foundation with maple that I loved and wanted that familiar touch again. The Sterling is fantastic, but.....
    My American made, one of the last, Cruise Bass 2Tek Active EMG axe has more headroom on the bottom, though not as controllable as the Sterling. Since they're not makin' 'em anymore, I should keep the Cruise, right??? Don't really need the cash just now and I have 2 acoustic guitars I need to sell.

Question for any of you that have the Cruisebass... One annoyance about it [part of the control issue] is a hot first string. I had to really ease up on my claw on those high snaps etc, had to cut all the treble out of amp/pre/eq whatever, and that was after adjusting the pickups as far away as possible. I dunno what else to do unless i kludge some sort of pad on the bridge for that string

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Hmm, I really liked the 2teks with the EMG-JVs and 2-band EQ. When you play fingerstyle is the G string too-loud, too-bright, or both? Are they the EMG-JVs (with the exposed polepieces)? If so, those are actually pretty dark sounding pickups, so a classic single would add high end rather than taming it. If they're EMG-Js ... then yea thats a massively bright pickup.

They're great basses, and I think the 2tek is amazing in a rock mix, really gives the bass some zing. I'd work with it a bit to see if you an make it work better for you. What about some different strings and a pro setup?

3. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    If you don't need the cash (or the space), keep it.
    Unless you don't play it ever. Then kick it to the curb.

4. I had a Cruisebass 5 w/2-Tek, passive setup, and while it sounded good, it was just too heavy.

5. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Well, I have four USA Cruise's w/2-tek's and they are very consistant instruments. I don't have the problem you are describing - while the 2-tek bridge does add a certain zingeyness to the sound, I find it very musical and that it adds a very lively character that cuts through the mix.

So, I would highly suspect that it's those active EMG's. One of my Cruises I got used had EMG's in it and I promptly yanked them. Don't get me wrong, I like EMG's and have them in a bunch of my guitars, and have liked them in Spectors and such... just not in the Crusie bass.

I was also never a fan of the stock SJB-1's that came in the 4-strings... not enough oomph and a little bright sounding....

Here's the deal - that huge 2-tek naturally accentuates the lower and upper registers, so I think it's inportant to have pickups that have a prominant midrange. ENTER the SD SJB-2 Hot Jazz - they have a great bump in the mids, smooth top end, and big bottom without being boomy. I think its a match made in heaven in those basses - turns em into a growl monsters.

All that said, what color is yours? Maybe my quad sisters would like another to keep them company :)

JR

6. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Gold Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Pacific NW
    I had 5 of the cruise basses with 2-tek's at one point. If I was to ever get another one though, it would sport the Gotoh for more of a traditional sound (and without the added weight).

7. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    BTW, I see that you are playing with the SWR WM 12 - I used to have that amp as well, and it is a very bright combination with the Cruise. The Hot Jazz pickups really helped tame that and it was a nice combination in the end, though still bright. Turn the tweeter down or off!

JR

8. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    black with pearloid pickguard and rosewood fingerboard BUUUUUTTTTTT..... I appreciate your response as you seem to have finger on pulse.
    However, in your response I note an issue.... since the stacked eq knob is only 'bass' and 'treble'.... the mids seem to remain irrespective of anything I do to curb. my only hope had been to drive up the bottom, which is big, but the mid goes up with it so I still end up with the nasally thing.
    I don't think I want to swap pickups for something even MORE trombone-like......

and, as reminder, I have run the screws on the treble side to the max, so the pickups are dipped down as far as they can go, and still I get that hotness on the first string. I could live with that OK, but the un-tameness in the mids is daunting

9. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas

yep..... good reading JGR!
    I cannot remember when I turned that horn off, but I think it was about 2000 ..........
    never to return

which is why i posted another topic/thread about which EQ's give good results!
    z

10. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    ah, already got a black one so i guess i'll try to help rather than convince you to sell it ;)

in my mind i was thinking that you would use a passive eq with the passive duncans... you can certainly use an active eq though i don't have any experience with how that would sound.

all of mine are set up with the standard passive vol, vol, tone configuration...

if you are an active pickup kind of guy, some others may be able to recommend something smoother for you... i don't have a lot of experience in that area.

i will say that i always find instruments with active eq to have a much more extended high end and overall clarity (at the expense of warmth) compared to their passive counterparts, which can be a good thing depending on the bass...

however, the whole premise behind the 2-tek was to bring extreme clarity, sustain, and note definition - which it does - but i can see how combining this with an active pickup and/or eq would take it too far with the zing factor.

i think the Cruise 2-teks REALLY need passive pickups to add the warmth needed to tonally balance the instrument and get the best of both worlds. i guess thats why i like them so much - passive warmth with active-like clarity! just my 2 cents! hope you find something that works for you.

JR

11. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    thx again jg. i think you're right.... the max'd out p/u & active eq has a lotta gain. I've been dwelling on those issues.... when its time to put on the bottom, that axe has a LOT of headroom.... I just bias toward the neck p/u a little and wind up the bass control and it thunders.
    When I originally bought it, it was THAT, played side by side with a Stingray, that convinced me to take the Hamer. I don't think I ever play it past about 2pm on the bass control..... Can't wait to hear it with the new Agi cab

12. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    cool, switching amps/cabs will most certainly help as well as the SWR is really on the brighter end of things. i just hesitated to suggest that as it is usually a bit more $$ than swapping PU's. good luck!

JR

13. jamesblue

jamesblue

Mar 27, 2005
    Maryland
    I've owned 3 Hamer USA Crusie bass', all GREAT!
    I agree these are best with passive electronics.
    I now have one with the Gotoh bridge for the weight reasons and less "snappy" tone with DA Chromes.
    My other two Cruise bass' had the wonderful 2-Tek. They do sound better than the Gotoh IMO, but on stage and long band rehersals it's heavy. I'm in my 30s now and find my back doesn't like the weight anymore.
    My last 2-tek had Dimarzo Ultra Jazz, they were good, I couldn't decide which I liked better, the stock SDs sound good too.:bassist:

14. jamesblue

jamesblue

Mar 27, 2005
    Maryland
    I think the Bartolini Jazz electronics could work well on the Cruise, vice the EMG tronics. Just a thought.

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Lots of wisdom here. Generally, I'm not a big fan of EMG-style active pickups (though I like them on my Brice). Specifically on a Jazz Bass, I think EMGs are a very poor choice. If it were my Cruise I'd replace those post haste. Probably with vintage style Fender brand pickups.

16. Mine is a passive 4 with a 2-TEK so I don't have much to contribute but I'd think twice before selling it.

17. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    Interesting! can you explain? what would the result be?

I'm playing the Sterling more than the Hamer now for several reasons, one is just sheer feel... i like the tactile feedback I feel in the maple fretboard of the Sterling... But a BIG deal is that the high notes can be hit firmly on the Sterling without a nasty annoying sting like I have on the EMG's. I get a real round, toney high with the sterling... interesting and non-offensive

For someone that just likes big bottom however, the EMG/Cruise would light them up.... huge big fat bottom if you increment the bass knob, and if the player just primarily sits on the fundamentals and doesn't run the neck he'd be really happy [but that's not me.... easily bored so I go find a lotta notes]
    z