1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shouldn't there be a wire here?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KJMO, Nov 23, 2018.

1. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    This is my new roadworn jazz bass. I just want to make sure, I looked at the wiring diagrams I could find and all had a wire going from the empty spot on the jack to the place that the bridge ground is soldered. I was poking around because I've never played a bass that made so much noise. If I rub the pickguard, strings, even the back of the body (!) it makes static noise, so I'm wondering if this is why? Thanks!

jazz bass wiring.JPG

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Nah. That’s the tone control, not the volume control. Apparently all of the grounds are done through the plate.

Rub dryer sheets all over your bass.

petrus61 likes this.
  3. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    I shouldn't have said it was new, in that I've had it a couple weeks. 3 gigs, etc. and it always does this. It's REALLY bad and I've never had it with any other bass. I don't believe dryer sheets would help. There has to be something going on. There is absolutely zero shielding (not even foil on the back of the pickguard), so perhaps that's it?

4. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    Plus, I know it's the tone pot, but the bridge is grounded on it?

5. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Does it buzz (not hum) when you aren’t rubbing it? Does that buzz vary when you and the bass turn right or left? If so, you could benefit from some shielding. The plate itself offers some shielding, but you could add more in the cavities if you want.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Do you have a multimeter? Something needs to be grounded to the plate itself. Can we see the volume controls please?

7. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    Yes, sorry. It's actually noisy in every way I can imagine.

jazz wiring whole.JPG

I do have a multimeter.

8. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I would definitely add a groud wire for the jack - if the jack ever starts to get loose, and you’re depending on the plate to ground it, you’ll regret not having a ground wire. connect the other end of that wire to the back of a pot.

somebrains, dcbassist5, Engle and 7 others like this.
  9. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Good advice to add the ground wire. I would also resolder the joint on top of the pot in your first photo (where the cap is attached). That is a gnarly joint.

bolophonic, MCF and KJMO like this.
  10. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    It's Fenders way of being cheap. I normally add a ground wire from the pots to the jack for insurance, never hurts to add a little extra.

And you would be suprised how effective the dryer sheets are, especially if you are getting an odd crackling out of the pickups. I'd start with that. Seriously.

Clark Dark and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  11. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

That’s the “old school” working scheme, which is the same as any other way except there is zero internal shielding on the Classic series basses. Add to that fact that it’s a jazz bass, and you’ve got a real humdinger.

vvvmmm, el_Bajo_Verde and mikewalker like this.
  12. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    Alright, rubbed it down real good and thorough, and it made no difference at all (well, it smells better). When my fingers slide across the strings, it crackles and pops. when I rub the body, it crackles. It's just bizarre.

I probably need to make a video of it. I'm getting super frustrated, as I'm sure it's loud enough to hear live.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    vvvmmm likes this.
  13. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Isn't that the bridge ground wired to the tone pot? Test for continuity between the bridge and control plate. As others have said, wire the jack to ground. Shield the cavities and wire them to ground.

jamro217 and MCF like this.
  14. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    Yes, it is. To test for continuity, do I use the multimeter? I'll wire the ground and do some shielding at some point.

15. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    I worked on a MIJ Strat for a friend. It would go "CRACK" whenever he strummed a chord or touched the pickguard. I bought a roll of copper foil and completely covered the back of the pickguard and lined all the cavities in the body, making sure that some of the cavity foil would touch the foil on the back of the pickguard.

The guitar became nearly silent and the crackle went away. Usually the drier sheet trick will work for a little while, but the foil shielding will work forever. Search around on the internet for the foil. I paid less than a quarter of what the big music parts people wanted. I think it cost me about $14 to shield his 2 Strats and my MIM P Bass.

16. onamission

onamission Supporting Member

Add a ground across the Vol pots like this:

jwiring.

AJ78bass, vvvmmm, Clark Dark and 9 others like this.
  17. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I vote for trying this before shileding. The issue sounds like grounding, not shielding.

somebrains, dcbassist5 and whitelines like this.
  18. I would certainly add a ground wire from cable jack to the mounting plate.

Engle likes this.
  19. This is good info. I’m going to make the mods ASAP. My MIM J is not as noisy as the OPs but it does buzz a little bit.

20. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    I gotta fire up the soldering iron and see what I can do. Thanks for the guidance, so far. I'm tempted just to put my audere pre in there and screw it, but I like the way it sounds now and I think the active pre would kill it.