1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. The purpose of this forum is to solicit input on newsletter content.  Paul L. from Threadloom (threadloom_paul) is testing algorithms that will select threads to feature as "popular" in upcoming weekly emails.  He has access to this forum and will be posting here shortly.  Thanks! - Paul D.

Shouldn't this be called a Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Feb 15, 2002.

1. The Squier P-Bass Special 5.
    [​IMG]

Why do they call this a P-bass when it has no Precision pickups?

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Body shape & Pickguard. Also string spacing.

3. Ok, I was under the impression that the only requirment of a Jazz bass was Jazz style pickups. My Yamaha has Jazz p-ups, no pickguard, and it's not the Fender Jazz body style. So, is it still a jazz bass? :rolleyes: I would say yes.

The Squier doesn't give specs on neck width at the nut. If it were 1 11/16" at the nut, I would call it a jazz bass with a precision neck. If it is 1 1/2" at the nut, I would call it a jazz bass, regardless of the body/ pickguard style.

but thats just me.

4. Hmmm, the body of a precision but the brains of a jazz in a squire package.

They should call it "Job Opening in Reasearch and Design Dept."

:D

~Ad

5. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well, one of the things that's crucial to a J-bass, is the pickup placement. Compare this bass to a normal J, and you'll see that they're not the same.