1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Should've seen this coming: G-K 1000RB heat problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, May 10, 2006.

1. So my Gallien-Krueger 1000RB sounds amazing and puts out a ton of power, but it's got a problem: it goes into thermal shutdown. I knew that heat issues were legion with this model when I bought mine off eBay, but the seller swore that the mod he'd had done on it--rewiring the fan so it was always on--took care of the heat problem. For a month or so after I bought it, it was fine, although I wasn't practicing a whole lot in April because of schoolwork.

Now that I've racked it and am using it an hour a day or more, the heat problem has become a serious annoyance. It shuts down after 30 minutes or less, and won't function again for at least another hour. I've thought about having a ventilation grille cut into the back or the top, since the only ventilation holes on it are on the faceplate, but this would destroy what little resale value it might have. I don't think a rack fan would help because the chassis isn't getting hot.

Is there anything I can do to address this?

2. Perhaps you could mount a fan on the back of your rack to circulate air through it better, or get a larger rack so there's more space in between the amp and the items around it.:confused:
    C7

3. Well, there's no circulation of air through the amp right now because it only has vents on the front grille. It's a really poor design and G-K should've known better, but it's my fault for buying one knowing about the heat issues.

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Have you got the vent on the top of the amp blocked? If so, make a single space open in your rack if you can and give it some breathing room.

5. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Don't cover the exaust fan. You need room to move the air. I've had 2 1001's and never had a problem with heat (and i live in vegas)

6. There's no vent on the top of the amp. The only vents are on the front grille.

I know, I know, I was stupid for buying it. Yes, I'm aware.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Send it to me, I'll dispose of it for you.

Actually, if you wanted someone to make it run cooler, I could help you out. I have worked on my GK 1001 a lot.

8. What kind of mods have you done on your 1001, Trev? I'm thinking of cutting cooling grates on the top and in the back.

Also, is there such a thing as a single-space rack fan?

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, there are single space rack fans. I was thinking the best mod you could do is putting a high CFM fan onto the front grille, and maybe using a 120 volt one so you don't overtax the fan power supply (which most likely won't be a problem. Fans usually draw a hundred or so milliamps). You probably could add another 12volt fan like the one that would be on the heatsink. I would only do one fan to get some sort of flow path going. This wouldn't involve cutting of the case at all.

Also, mouser would have the single space rack fans, but you could also check a place like mcmaster carr.

10. I assume that the front grille fan would be displaced off to one side or another, so that air could be drawn in the opposite side of the grille. The lack of any other ventilation whatsoever is obviously limiting as far as constructing airflow goes, which is why I've been thinking about cutting top and/or rear grilles.

This is reminding me of when I had a first-edition DDR GeForce video card in the computer I built in 2000, and I had to have a ridiculous number of fans in the case (a bog-standard Enlight, I believe) because it didn't have proper airflow around the card. Compare that to the Shuttle XPC I have now, which is whisper-quiet because of proper airflow.

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, definitely offset the fan. You may even add some sort of guide tunnel on the end of the fan to blow across the power transistor heatsink.

12. OK, the guy who sold me the amp is a TBer (bucephylus). Evidently when he had the amp modded to keep the fan always on, they may not have pulled the thermal overload switch out of the circuit like he said they did. I'll be calling that amp shop (M-Tronics, for those of you from greater PHX) tomorrow to see what's up.

As I mentioned in my PM to bucephylus, one thing that leads me to believe that actual overheating is occurring is that prior to all-out shutdown, the output becomes farty and hissy, which is what made me think yesterday that I might have blown a speaker. We'll see what's up.

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You may want to check that speaker thing out. I think the GK has monitor circuitry for improper loading and short circuit protection. That could be part of the problem. I would restore the GK to it's prior condition, and maybe add a fan. That seems like the safest thing to do.

14. I definitely didn't blow a speaker; 20 minutes spent heavily riding the B and E strings on my FBB demonstrated that quite clearly.

The mod that bucephylus had done was coordinated with GK's engineering staff. The problems with the 1000RB were, evidently, a bit of a PR nightmare for the company.

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Ahh, I see. Maybe some creative cooling would help it. Maybe some heatpipe stuff, and maybe a bit of thermo-conductive paste on the heatsink if it doesn't have it already...

There has got to be a good way to increase the cooling capacity of this thing. An extra high-cfm case fan would be the best bet probably.

16. One thing that befuddles me is that the 1000RB's chassis isn't even getting hot. bucephylus mentioned that it never got hot on him, and he lives in Arizona.

Contrastingly, my old WT-300 ran blazingly hot, but that was by design: the chassis was an integral part of the cooling system, just like with SWR amps.

17. I was going to say that GK would've been incredibly negligent to release a product that had a huge fundamental heating problem. The least they could do is do a product recall.

18. Well, I bought it used on eBay, so caveat emptor applies.

19. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The Gk's don't use the case for cooling. They have fat heatsinks on the power section. I would have to see this thing and fiddle with it to diagnose it, but I am sure I could come up with something.

20. I was referring to a GK design fault, not a faulty product that you bought second-hand.

If it is a design fault (for eg. GK not designing more grills or installing a fan to help cool the amp that they KNOW is going to overheat) then the least they could do is do a recall.