Show me some Godins

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fredescu, Oct 28, 2005.

1. I've been shopping around for a 5 string for a while for around $1500 AUD and the one I keep coming back to is the Godin Freeway Active 5 (like the one pictured here). It feels beautiful and there is something I can't put my finger on about the sound that I just love. If christmas weren't coming up I would have walked out of the store today with one. So to sate my GAS a little, show me some Godins!
  2. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Godin don't get too much love on these boards. Nobody hates them, but it doesn't seem like very many people have them.

My shop carries Seagull (made by Godin) and those are some damned nice guitars!
  3. wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Me and my Godin SD4:

I really like the neck profile, and it sounds really good, but the SD body shape caused it to be a neck-diver, and it's quite a bit of a stretch to get to the end of the neck. I stopped playing for a while it in favour of my Jazz basses. However, I've started gigging with it again, although...

[Figjam, Ombudsman - it's probably best to stop reading now]

it's not quite the same as it used to be. I performed a complete body transplant, and put the neck and pickups onto a black precision bass body (plus black pickguard, plain chrome knobs and a Gotoh 201 bridge). It's a lot more comfortable to play now; a bit lighter, balances really well and sounds as good as it ever did.

It's probably heresy, and I'm sure people will ask "why not just buy a Fender P-J?", but I really love how that neck feels.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Jus ttraded my sd4 actually.. for a mtd kingston fretless....

Tonedeaf is now the proud new owner. Ill miss it, if he ever is selling it, ill buy it back from him. Sentimental value
  5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

OK. This is posted on another thread, but here's my new baby . . .

I haven't played any other Godins but this one and a fretted A5, but they were both outstanding instruments for the $$.

Attached Files:

6. [​IMG]

Killer neck, and the new Freeway body style seems to be better balanced than their old style.
  7. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA

I own two BG-IV's, one with EMG's and the other
    being modded right now for two Hammon Dark Star DS-3's.

Great basses, a steal at the price, have the P-bass neck
    and a solid ash body. Plus, when I leave em in my
    car they always are there when I come back.

Phil Anderson
    Tucson, AZ
  8. I've noticed that. Not many stores seem to carry them either. Perhaps it's a marketing thing. There is no seperate bass section on their website for example. It took me a bit of clicking around to find the basses.

Any more out there?
  9. Well, those pics pretty much covered the Godin product line (the SDs, BG, Freeways and A series). For some more pics of flamed SDs (which are actually for sale), go to .
  10. My BG-IV was a great bass. It just had a nice growly sound. I didn't much like the neck so I traded it in on a MM Sterling, which has a much smaller neck. The Godins probably make one of the best deals going! Its a pity that more people don't know about them.

- Andrew
  11. +1 +1 +1 +1. Us Godin-users really need to get the word out. Godins beat other production basses in their class (i.e. neck shape, body shape, style, electronics, etc.)
  12. CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    I'm don't have the ability to post a pic at the moment, but check my avatar as proof I'm the proud owner of an SD4. The warmth of tone it possesses is incredible. Godin is truly a good buy.
  13. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
  14. dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    This is a discussion that has popped up on other threads. I'd say Godin’s biggest product movers are hybrid, nitch axes. Stuff like Acoustic/electrics that are also MIDI controllers, electric guitars equipped with piezo pickups, acoustic bass guitars that play like an electric but can sound like an upright; this sort of thing. Their more conventional basses never seem to get much marketing. I think the now discontinued BG 4s and 5s were great and now that they are no longer made, keep yr eyes peeled, you might bag one for a song. But its baffling, no one talks about Godin basses. Could it be all that competition from Asia and Mexico? Godin’s one edge is that they’re built in North America with the quality to boot but for the price of an import. You’d think they’d be bigger sellers given this. Weird.

15. Robert Godin used to be one of the largest manufacturers in North America, and built guitars for BC Rich, Steinburger, Gibson, ect, and was a custom shop for some others I believe.

Well, when the market for one of those manufacturers started to fall apart and they switched to overseas manufacturing they almost sunk him.

These days he only builds Godins, and offers no custom building. It seems he's happier building what he wants, and selling just enough to keep himself well fed. Which is why I assume he has no aggressive marketing plan.
  16. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I just played a Godin today at L&M, and thought it was great. Couldn't find it on the site, though there were other basses listed. I didn't catch the model name, so does anyone know of a Godin bass with two soapbar BassLines pickups, quilted maple top (I think that's the wood type) and transparent red or blue finish, with a bolt-on neck? It was a great bass. Figures I get GAS right after buying a bass.

Graeme :bassist:
  17. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Sounds like the BG series which is discontinued. A worthy bass.
  18. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I own Godin BG5. It's good.