Show me the Warwicks!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by niftydog, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Someone commented recently that, despite seeing a plethora of Stingrays being used live, he'd never seen a Warwick being used live.

I find this impossible to believe, but it got me thinking.

Sure, the Stingray is tried and true and you see them positively everywhere. The Warwicks are relatively "new" and maybe not so popular. However, the inference was that because of this phenomenon that Warwicks were somehow tonally inferior.

So, to set the record straight I want you guys to name bands or artists that have been backed by a Warwick bass player! Here's my contributions - most of which have been witnessed at some music festival or another over the years; (nb; he happened to be a fellow Aussie, so I have included many Aussie bands that are reasonably big here but may be unheard of to most o' you guys!)

Pre-shrunk (cult Aussie band, both bassists use and endorse Warwicks)
    311 (who doesn't know P-nut!?!?)
    Regurgitator (sure I've even seen the distinctive top horn or a corvette in a film clip)
    Incubus (actually worked on the crew for that gig, man, what a setup!)
    Killing Heidi (supported these guys just as they were getting famous - had a great chat to the bassist about our Warwicks!)
    Tommy Emmanuel
    28 Days

...and these are just the gigs I remember seeing Warwicks being played - there's many others that have slipped into the dark recesses of my brain!

I must admit, however, that it's always a little surprising to see them, because so often these days it's a ubiquitous P-bass, jazz or a 'ray. But, to say that you've never seen one played live is no reflection on their quality.

Worth noting that I watched a LOT of the Live 8 concert and the only idiot using a Bongo that I saw was that singing-canary-loving-weirdo Randy Jackson! ;)
  2. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I've seen one SUB and one stingray, along with one rockbass corvette fiver, a Corvette FNA, and Ryan Martinie's thumb.

So Warwick wins by one.
  3. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Warwick's been around for 23 years. I wouldn't call it new.
  4. More aussie bands that use them are Grinspoon, Sick Puppies and Cog.
    I'm not into the first two but Cog are incredible, the bassist used to play Corvettes but he recently got signed with Warwick and he uses Thumbs now.
    Cog are so good, I hope they end up being big in America 'cos they could wipe the floor with most alternative acts.
  5. Whoops, u already said Grinspoon :meh:
    Anywho, Cog rock :bassist:
    The Butterfly Effect also rock, but the bass player doesn't use Warwicks ;)
  6. That's why "new" was inside inverted commas. I know they're not new, but perhaps that's an impression that people get about them.

Besides, the Stingray has been around for 29 years, and although the Warwick brand has been around almost as long, the Thumb bass (which might be considered their most known model) is surely not that old.

Does anyone know when the Thumb was introduced?
  7. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    1984 if I remember correctly.

When I started playing around 1988, they were an established brand and the Thumb bass was well known, certainly here in the UK.
  8. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I don't think Ben from gurge has ever used a Warwick? I've only EVER seen him use Fenders (and lots of them) and a couple other basses. Maybe he has used one, I don't see it fitting there sound though.

COuldn't we just cut n paste the players list off Warwick? :p Jarle (sp?) Olsen band's bassist uses a Thumb.. Theres a solo on their site.
  9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    TBE bassist uses modulus Q5.

I have seen many many many many warwicks used live in bands noone has ever heard about and some other famous, but you cant get anything like a warwick for the same price here so...
  10. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    The bassist from the band Trapt uses Streamer Stage IIs, and Corvette $$s. Also, Norwood Fischer from Fishbone, BLS's James Lomenzo, and Paul Gray from Slipknot. I saw Slipknot and BLS and Ozzfest 2 weeks ago, and their Wicks were thumpin pretty good...
  11. bout time Cog came up on talkbass...Luke Gower is the man, he's my fave bass player by a long way!! Love his use of delay and distortion...and his rig's just awesome...David Eden WT800 into 2 x 410XLT, such a raw sound. He's retired his Corvette FNA 4 string, and using a Thumb Bolt on 5 tuned CGCFBb and a Thumb Neck thru 4 tuned CGCF live, plus a Thumb Neck through 5 tuned CGCFBb as his recording bass.
  12. *Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    The bassist from the girl heavy metal band Kittie uses a Warwick corvette.
  13. Jonas Björler from The Haunted (swedish thrash metal) uses steamer stage 1 & 2..

when i think of it i have never seen a musicman used live.
  14. Ryan Martinie of Mudvayne!!!!!

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I believe the bassist for Toad the Wet Sproket played fretted and fretless Warwicks.

16. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The guy from Hootie and the Blowfish played a Corvette 4.
    Traa from P.O.D.
    Mike Kroeger from Nickleback came out playing Stage 2's, before switching to Spectors.
    Of course, Stu from Jamiroquai
    P Nut also plays a Corvette 5 from time to time.
    The guy from Dishwalla played a Fortress 4 & 5.
  17. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    here it's the other way 'round: you see many more Ws and less MM. The simple reason is that Ws are cheaper, as we're in the EU, however, because of those #&@$&# distributors EBMM basses cost 30-40% over list price. :mad: :rolleyes:
  18. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    The Bassist for mudvayne plays a Corvette 5. He does some crazy tapping stuff... sounds awesome. P-nut is awesome, btw...
  19. Corvette? Ryan from Mudvayne uses thumbs, many of them. Plus he has a new Vampyre ad out. Never seen him with a corvette though.
  20. Look harder, he's in there too! But to cut'n'paste would be cheating. I'm talking about physically witnessing one with one's own eyes - maybe on the TV is ok too!