Show me them MTD Kingstons

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Aug 11, 2003.

1. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Since it seems to be very hard to find lots of pics of these babies I thought i'd ask.

I'd like to see the neck upclose so I can see what sort of difference that zero fret makes.

Are these basses readily available do most good music shops have them in like they all seem to have a fender jazz and a ibanez soundgear or are they quite hard to find in texas.

Final question does any body use an external pre amp with this if so what and why.

Thanks a lot guys all I ever need to know right at the end of my finger tips.
  2. Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    bump because i also wanna see
  3. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I have a picture and I'll get it to you as soon as I can find the floppy disk it's on.

MTDs are fantastic basses for the price. Great tone, perfect width fingerboard(for me) and tuners that stay in tune forever. I highly recommend them.

Unfortunately they've already stopped being made. Something to do with Tobias selling out to Gibson, I believe. I don't know the full story, but there's always Ebay or pawn shops.
  4. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
  5. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City

Michael Tobias sold his original Tobias company to Gibson a few years back, then started MTD on his own . . .
  6. egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    The guy selling that bass is a talkbass member he tried to sell it on the classified forum here first. Do a search maybe? If I was looking for another bass I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him. Oh and it looks like he has already upgraded the bridge which costs like 75-100 bux. Thanks
  7. DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    MTD Kingstons are still being made! Mike Tobias sold his name to Gibson, but MTD is his new company (

I bet if you emailed him, he would send you photos of the zero nut.
    I don't have a photo of my Kingston (a lefty)sorry
  8. there are a couple kingstons here:

i'm going to get pics of mine soon, since i just realized i don't have any yet! i'll post em for you.

i love my 5 string. no preamp used for me. i'm completely happy with the tones i can dial up with the bass. :)
  9. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    It may be coming in a nice gig bag as well. At least he got it in a Kaces III gig bag. He's also changed out the tuners to chrome to match the Leo Quan bridge, knobs are chrome too.
  10. K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I sometimes use my MXR M-80 with mine to get more lows. I think I will using it more often.

11. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Really? The music store I was in yesterday said that there was no such thing as MTD basses any more. Sorry about the wrong information:oops:
  12. the guy in the music store needs beaten! ;)
  13. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I have a black/rosewood K-5 I just obtained. I have a black pearl guard, and a John East BTB-01 preamp (the "P Retro"), on the way for it. I'll be glad to post pics when the mods are complete.
  14. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Zounds and all the bass specialty stores carry Kingstons.

Playability is excellent for a cheapo with a 35" and a wide fretboard.

I don't bother with a separate preamp. I keep both the vol and tone controls dimed on the instrument and adjust the preamp section of my amp.
  15. Adrian has two of them on the in stock now page at - a fretted and fretless. I got a chance to play one a while back and they are great basses for the price.
  16. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I saw that wide 'board comment. It made me wonder, how wide? I never could find a fiver that I could get around on, both fingerstyle and slap. The first one that I could really play was a Lakland 55-94. How does the Kingston/Heir 5-string neck compare to a 55-02? I always have a fretted four and a fretless four, so when I get a five I will soon have to have a second to do the same. I was considering the 55-02 for the fretted, and either an Heir or a Josh Paul for the fretless.

Advise me, please.
  17. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    I've played a few Heirs and Kingstons that a local store was blowing out for around $400. I really don't think the zero nut does that much, it kinda changes the sound that open notes make, but not to the point where it remotely matters. MTD Kingstons and Heirs would make great beginner instruments, but I'd look for something better if they weren't on blowout.

- Dave
  18. I just got a super deal on a black Kingston 5. Man, this bass is WAY too good for how inexpensive it was! I have an American MTD 535, which rules, but it cost a whole lot more than $249 used. This bass is a grand slam in the inexpensive, quality bass world.