Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Show me yer Elricks!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nad, Feb 22, 2006.

1. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Do all the 5+ stringers have an asymmetrical neck? That is what is really selling me so far. Well, the looks too. So if anyone can tell me where to play one in Southern California I'd much appreciate it. :hyper:

Oh and I searched, but the old "show yer Elricks" threads don't have many pictures left.

Cheers,
    Adrian

2. Maybe something's changed in the last few years, but neither the Elrick 5 nor 6 (both Deluxe bolt-ons, equivalent to the Gold series) I used to own had assymmetrical necks.

Mike

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Huh, I guess that cures my GAS then. I was told they do have asymmetrical necks, but I've never played one.

4. Though other builders do use them, Michael Tobias' instruments are really the ones that are known for assymmetric necks. You should definately check out MTD (which is in your GAS list, I see...).

Mike

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Yep, MTD is definitely on my list. I love my Gibson Tobias, so would imagine MTD would be even better.

6. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I used to own a Tobias. A great bass, but the bridge string spacing was a bit too tight for me. Elrick necks feel great to me. Maybe even more comfortable than a Tobias, but that could be from the spacing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
  8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    The four-strings have asymmetrical necks as well.

Here are my current three- all are e-volutions (I prefer it big-time to the Classic shape):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here are the two Elricks that I've owned and since sold. Both were great basses, but I sold them to get other Elricks more to my liking (sold the six-string to pay for the four-string singlecut pictured above, and I sold the five-string fretless to pay for a four-string e-volution singlecut fretless with a 33" scale and four Hipshot Xtenders that's currently being built).

Both were Classic singlecuts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]