Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Show me your 4 string fretless basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by szego, Apr 21, 2005.

1. szego

szego

Jul 26, 2004
    Anyone with a 4 string fretless post a pic of it here, write a little review of it if you wish, im looking to buy one and just shopping around, so start showing!

Also a good way to show off =D

2. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My 1984 Ibanez Musician. It has a sister 84' fretted, in pearl.

Mike

3. Nice, Mike.

I have a 1979 Musician, though it's fretted.

I do have a 2002 Ibanez EDA905F fretless, but it's a 5 string and I have no pictures right now. :(

Mike

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Old one:
    [​IMG]
    1998 Fender MIM Fretless Jazz w/ Badass II - Nice bass for the cash (bought it cheap, put some work into it and later sold it due to financial issues) it was a great bass but didn't quite have the 'mwah I was looking for, so it was on the block.

Then, I missed, it, so I bought one of these in black:
    [​IMG]
    Yamaha BB404F - Should have it on Tuesday or Wednesday to review.

5. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    [​IMG]

Mine is a 2001 Music Man Sterling fretless with piezo bridge and pao ferro unlined fretboard. It is strung with TI Jazz Flats, which are the perfect compliment for the bass. It is very smooth to play, and has the deepest lows I've heard on any 4 string bass. The Sterling is my only fretless---I'd recommend it to anybody. The build quality is superb, the hardware is as good as it gets, and the finish is beautiful.

Before I bought the Sterling, I had a Mexican Fender jazz fretless w/lined fretboard. It was my first fretless---I had it for a few months before puchasing the Sterling. The unlined is much easier to play, in my opinion---the lines, when they are not frets, tend to get a little confusing as to where you are sometimes. Even as a beginner on fretless, the unlined has been much easier to adjust to.

6. a custom jazz that's modeled after my Moon bass. This one have a Moses neck.
    [​IMG]

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    This is a one of a kind Squier Fretless P-bass. I kinda made it myself... :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

M-M-M-M-M-M-M-My Ristola. Click thumbs for bigger pix. Without
    doubt in the running for "best thing ever." That's as little a
    review as I can give.

9. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

shooter rolls 7, lucky 7 :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

10. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Is the fingerboard graphite too? how do you like moses (or any other graphite) necks on the fretless? I thought about getting one...

11. nismaniac

nismaniac

Feb 21, 2005
    OKC, OK

How do you like your Yamaha's, especially the BB?

12. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Changed this post: Figured out how to put in pics. Here are my fretless 1963 Fender Jazz and 2005 Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn. If you want to see them a bit larger, please click the link, then click on the fretless page:

http://homepage.mac.com/billeggert/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I love `em :D : low price - high quality, and they readily lend themselves
    to all kinds of futzin' (replace pickups, bridges, etc. :rollno: )

The "BB" is an older BBN4F model actually (not the newer BB404F).
    I snatched it up off the used rack at a local GC (right place right time
    I guess) for only $200. I think at the time, they were goin' for ~$400+
    new, so I felt a little Brad Johnson-ish :p . The only thing was some idjit
    jammed a big ol' woodscrew into the upper horn as a strap button.
    A quick swing over to the accessory counter for a set of Strap-Loks
    fixed that

I installed a set of DiMarzio Ultra-Jazz', Gotoh GB7's, and a Bad*** II...
    new CTS long bushing type pots, Switchcraft deep jack, and some nice
    chrome knob-age from Stew-Mac. Threw on a set of T/I EB344's and...
    ohhhh baby! :bassist: I gots me a nice grindy/growly "Jazz"

Despite essentially re-building the bass :rolleyes: , I've noticed that
    Yammers are pretty darn good right outta' the box

14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but...

I have one too.

15. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

My recently departed Acacia custom fretless 4. Fantastic instrument, absolutely lovely. Great sound, ergonomic shape, easy to play, looks beautiful. Was my main instrument for seven years (since early 1998) but I need more strings now, I feel; so the old Acacia had to go. Not to spam, but it's available through Brian at The Low End here, and Brian is also the one supplying me with a new Benavente fretless 6-string.... Real Soon Now.

16. Sargebaker:
    Yeah, the fingerboard is graphite, too. It's not much of a looker compared to what Status are making, but they are great for fretless. Even notes, no dead spots, and great swells. And with the blow outs at Musician's Friend, I think you can't go wrong with these.

17. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.

:eek: Beautiful basses! Can you give me a little more info on the 63' Jazz? Have you moved the bridge? How long have you had it? Etc!

Many thanks!

Mike

18. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Nice... :D

Bit pointless having a Kahler on a fretless though, isn't it? A fretless is like a big whammy bar in itself! :)

Russ :bassist:

19. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks for looking. I bought the '63 back in the mid '70s for $200 (talked the seller down from $250 telling him "I don't know - looks kind of old...) knowing it was pre-CBS by the looks of it! It's neck is stamped 7NOV62A, but it's serial number places it as a 1963.

It was my main bass for years until my guitar player knocked it over and it lost a hunk of fretboard at the 3rd fret - G string side. Took it in to get repaired and decided to make it fretless at the same time (had a '75 fretted jazz then). The hunk was replaced and the frets ground down. The fretlines are the original frets' tangs.

No the bridge has not been moved. What you see are the extra srews from where the individual string mutes used to be. They were gone when I bought the bass. I have done nothing to it - other than above. Still plays sweet - neck is straight. Electronics could be cleaned and tweaked. I don't take it out of the house much for fear of damage or theft - thus its new baby brother the JO4 fretless.

Eggman

20. Haha! yeah I know.. But when I was having the bass built, the luthier offered me the kahler for $50. Don't have any more bass to put it on, so I have it slapped it in there. i don't use it much.. it's more of a conversation piece, actually.