1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Show me your cheap rack cabs!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rocks, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    I'm looking for ideas on how to build a cheap lightweight rack cab so I can rack mount some gear. Does home depot or anywhere carry something suitable for the rack rails?

2. I use oak for my rails.
    th_rack-1.jpg
    th_emptyrack.jpg
    th_markrack.jpg
    racks.jpg

3. doctec

doctec

Mar 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    You can build quick/easy/cheap racks out of wood from Home Depot or your local lumber yard.

Depending on the weight of the equipment you want to mount, the plywood could be anything from 1/4" to 3/4".

Instead of metal rack rails, you can just use some fir strips. Fasten the equipment to the rack with wood screws/washers.

I've used this technique to build racks for everything from power amps (heavy) to effects (light).

Update -- I see StereoPlayer has the same idea and some nice looking diy racks!

4. Thanks. I've been building 1-2 space racks, easier on the back and great for switching different effects and configurations.

I used 1x4 pine, glue and an air nailer. Oak for the rails. If I need ventilation, I added 1/2 rack space. Lately, I've added vent/handles. Rubber feet come from Ace.
    The 1x4's came from wood spacers that were used for steel shipments where my day job is.
    After I build the rack, I use a router with a rounding bit on all sq. edges, sand, stain, clearcoat.

5. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    I've only built one, and I used 3/4 x 3/4 pine for the rails. However, if you want something stronger, Lowes sells 3/4 x 3/4 angle in either steel or aluminum.

6. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
  7. weekend, resurrection bump for some of my fav threads.