Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Show me your Crazy Mods!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paniak17, Apr 9, 2004.

1. anyone have some crazy mods the wanna share?

2. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    This one is pretty crazy...
    [​IMG]

3. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
  4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I wouldn't call it crazy, but it's a bit substantial...

5. How does it sound with the EB-O pickup?

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Amazing. I've got the thing wired... EB-O Vol/Precision Vol/Precision Tone and the tone knob is a Push/Pull to route both signals to one output while pulled out. In the in position, they have seperate outputs. Combined or seperate, the thing sounds absolutely divine with my Dimarzio Model P's. The mod was a pain, but definately worth the results.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you put an ashtray pickup cover over the P pickups, that bass would look so sweet.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    How do you stick a pic on these forums anyway? I don't understand the pathway part. On ebay you just locate it on your computer and it sucks it up. This way takes some smarts.

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    After finding the file, hit Open. The popup goes away. Now click on the Upload button. If the file is too big, there will be an error message displayed above the paths.

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Ottawa eh? Is that Hari Krishna restaraunt with the Monks still there where you pay what ever you can afford? Was passing through town and met some chic that was a tour guide at the dikes/canals (whatever) and she showed me around town. Pretty cool.

Okay, if I've got a pic on my a: drive, how do I get it into this little box?

11. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    While not musical, it's very functional. I've been toying with the idea of mounting a plastic ashtray on the top of my horn. I mean, it's a bitch to try to juggle a beer, a smoke, sing and play.

Next project of course would be a cupholder...... :D

12. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Never heard of the Hari Krishna restaurant, but we do have a very nice canel.

Here are some simple directions on how to upload. Describing GUI interfaces actually makes them seem harder than they are.
    1. Click on "Post Reply" or "Quote"
    2. Type in your message as normal
    3. Click on "Manage Attachments"
    4. An attachments popup box will be created.
    5. In the popup box, click "Browse..."
    6. An "Open File" popup will be created. Use this to find the file
    then click "Open".
    7. In the attachments popup, click "Upload"
    8. It will either work (yeahh), or an error message will be displayed
    in the attchment popup. For registered members, it looks like you
    are limited to 600x600 with a maximum of 150K.
    9. Click "Submit Reply" as usual.

13. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    This is not Lab Rat I but took some pics of it today and apparently not enough sunlight so maybe tomorrow. But this is the way I've done several of my basses and Lab Rat was the test bass. Those are Todds X Bart MMC and MME currently installed. The strap is off a flat bed binder strap. Schaller roller bridge. I thought maybe we needed a little balance in here after Jaye's post.

Have a thudder, a bright bass, and one I'll set up for flat picking that's more mid acoustically, also a fretless down the road. Can swap out any pup configuration in the time it takes to change a string. Schallers allow for string variations in pups if necessary. No longer limited by the basses I own or really have much need for purchase of another (barring something like an acoustic) - and have sold nearly half my stock already. Now instead of a bunch of basses, I have a bunch of pups - lot more sound in a lot less space and a lot more flexibility. And I can set the pups anywhere I want (see my findings to date on MM's at Dr DIMENTO'S ONGOING MM EXPERIMENT thread). And the basses only weigh 6 - 7 lbs. Seperate direct out jacks for true stereo and have onboards I've converted to outboards if I want active. I can actually isolate where most of my tones coming from now.

I think this falls within the realm of crazy mod, no?

Oh yeh, that white sqaure at the bottom of the pic is a Bart NTMB conversion (too much light, not enough - it's always somethin)

Thanks, Seanm - the Parliament was cool too.

14. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I wonder if routing out that much material affects the tone. Did you try recording the bass before the route and then putting the pickup back in the same place after to see how it affected the tone?

15. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

See my thread THE AFFECT OF ROUTING ON TONE in luthiers forum. But no, not that I can tell.

16. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    This is Lab Rat I - all ready for the dance bay way. Born Again Ibe GSR 190 - Hal Ah Loo Yaw Son!

Pickgaurd is made from unfinished wood veneer - which I've left for the buyer to oil, stain, paint, or throw away. MM pup out of a new MTD Kingston. vol/vol/tone but one volumes obviously a dummy but if whoever throws another pup in or uses it like I did, it's there if they want it. Tone and output is almost scary relative to a top end pup. Cheap pups are definitely worthy of exploration. Pretty rough bass to beat for $150. Wish it'd been my first bass at that price. Aside from better sound, it would have saved me a chunk of money and wasted time (would have sped the learning curve dramatically), and generally been a lot more fun and entertainment.