1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Show me your jazz basses with maple necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by terribilino, Sep 14, 2010.

1. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    (Sorry, maple fingerboards. My bad.)

I'd love to get one down the road - I've just got to find the right colour combination. A good old black and maple is tempting, but I'm looking for inspiration, and I'm in no hurry (i.e. I don't have the cash right now).

Any suggestions? Pics would be great.

(Not necessarily Fender, of course. I'm eyeing a Sandberg JM 4. They're pretty flexible about colour combos if you give them enough time...)

http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/basscat-overview/calj-series/caljm

2. Don't 99.99% of Jazz basses have Maple necks?:confused:

3. I'd say its half and half. Maybe I'm backwards. I got a maple neck on my p and a rosewood on my jazz.

4. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    I seriously doubt it.

5. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder

Nov 1, 2009
    he means fingerboards
    and vintage is one piece.

6. I think line6man meant the actual neck wood, whereas the OP was talking about the fretboard.

7. I've only seen a handful of basses out there with Rosewood necks.
    Almost all Fender style basses have Maple necks except for Warmoths and custom jobs.

8. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    Oops. You're right. Should have said fingerboard.

9. Alright, nevermind then.

As 5strings5fingers said, it's about half and half between Rosewood and Maple for fretted necks. Fretless necks are typically Rosewood, Ebony or Ebonol, with the occasional Pau Ferro.

10. if you wanna go down the sandberg road terribilino, think about what tone you want.

if you want the more modern 'active' sound get the stock pickeups (sandberg made, similar to delano).
    if you are after a more vintage tone pay the extra for the haussell pickups (they are hand wound custom jobs, and are reportedly tastier than a box of glazed dohnuts)

i went for the sandbergs on my PM5 as i want the more gutsy tone :) but some guys in the sandberg club have the haussell's and love them.

oh yeah back to topic, i dont have a jazz but i do prefer maple boards.

11. [​IMG]

12. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    Cool tip - did not know that.

Cheers, bud!

13. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    1- Geddy clone
    2- Warmoth

14. ransombass

ransombass

Dec 16, 2008
    Tulsa, Ok
    [​IMG]

This one is on order.
    [​IMG]

15. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    I love the blocks on the Geddy fretboard. Sandberg fretboards tend to be blank unless you ask for something to be put on them, so blocks might be on my wishlist. Ash body, matte finish, with blocks on a maple neck. That's number one on my list.

Number two would be the same with dots on the fretboard.

Keep them coming.

16. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    YES! That's my number one choice, but JM with 4 strings.

I was all set to get that as a p-bass until I found a used Highway One in a local shop.

17. Mine --

blue.jpg

sig.jpg

brown.jpg

BnB

DougieB likes this.
  18. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    I like the sunburst, but I'd need a black pickguard on it.

19. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Jan 13, 2007
    New York
    My American Standard Five string and my Geddy Signature:

Fender01.jpg

DSCF0035.jpg

Lousy pic quality but both of them together:

Fender06.jpg

20. Terribilino--

It's got one on it now. I had taken the PG off when it had a rosewood neck on it cuz I was going for the "Jaco" look. Now I'm going for the "sunburst Geddy Lee" look!

BnB

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021