Show me your kit bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassTapp, Apr 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Well, after a month of work I've just completed my first kit bass and loved every minute of the build. Features an ash body grain filled with walnut Timbermate, all stock except for the loaded Fender pickguard/ EMG GZR pickup of course. Started with a fretless to make things as easy as possible as I've never built anything before and didn't have one in the collection anyway.
    20180409_091058.jpg
    20180416_203408.jpg

Now that its all over, I think I've discovered a new hobby so I'm keen to see any kit builds that may be lurking around the forum for future inspiration! (need to make the most of all the tools I picked up, after all, they cost me more than the bass.)

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

nice work. congrats on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

i've never put a kit bass together so i have nothing to share, sorry.

but my question: where did you find a fretless kit? thanks.

3. Thanks! This one is from Pitbull Guitars, they have heaps to choose from ranging from traditional styles like mine through to more out there and modern options. They're based in Australia but I think they ship worldwide.

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

thank you. :thumbsup: i've looked at their selections before (moons ago!) but didn't notice --- or it didn't register --- fretlesses! i'll check them out!

5. Jazzmatazz

Jazzmatazz

Mar 23, 2018
    Nice job. that turned out great.

6. wizerd

wizerd

Jan 5, 2012
    Prone to ranting, episodes of moral outrage.
    Nice work. Now I have to browse the kit sites and try this myself

7. I just finished my dream bass build. Started with a walnut body BK40 from Kiesel and added the spalt. Kiesel has top notch woods and construction and you do get what you pay for with their kits.

Front_Angle.jpg
    Rear.jpg

More pics here which also has a link to the build thread if you are interested.

Hues and Brain Mayhem like this.
  8. fritzhartman

fritzhartman

Nov 7, 2019
    parabolaBass.jpg
    This is my first kit build, a short-scale from the Fretwire. I added the string retainer, leveled the frets and strung it with some flat-wounds and it plays and sounds great.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021