Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Show me your M.O.A.B.A

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Funkster, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Mother Of All Bass Amps!
    SVT's

[​IMG]
    I have had the cab for a while and I been searching for the right head and it finally came along.
    A perfect match! This amp absolutely rocks and I think some one in another thread said worth it's weight in gold.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    No pics, but the MOABA is the rig use dy Dustin Williams of Hotboxed: SWR Goliath Sr. and a Big Ben, powered by a Ampeg SVT-4PRO.

THUNDER!

3. As the sun sets

As the sun sets Guest

Dec 10, 2002
    N. Easton, MA
    that's awesome, funkster!

where abouts are you in MA? I live in North Easton... about 20 minutes south of Boston.

anyways, here is my (loud-ass) rig..

[​IMG]

although, looking to get rid of the 400+ for an SVT! (as you know :)) - oh, and the SVT-II isn't mine.. it belongs to a friend of mine.

4. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Worcester, Or wista the way we pronounce it:D Bout 40 min west of Boston, We are going to have a NE get together real soon and you are invited.

5. As the sun sets

As the sun sets Guest

Dec 10, 2002
    N. Easton, MA
    ah yes, good ol' woostah. i've been there a number of times. when is this get-together, and where is it? i may be able to attend, except i'm not quite sure yet.

6. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Sweeeeeeeeet :)

How do you like that Aggie 4x12?

7. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    Funkster - that's beautiful. When I was taking g**tar lessons in the late 60's ( I was twelve) the shop I was going to had an SVT for sale. I remember having to look up to see the head on top of the cab. I thought it was the coolest looking amp I had ever seen and saw myself playing INAGODADAVIDA with it. Good memories. Good luck with it. It is worth it's weight in gold.

8. As the sun sets

As the sun sets Guest

Dec 10, 2002
    N. Easton, MA
    Lockout - the Aggy GS412 is an awesome cab. Best money I've spent so far (along with my Rick). It can handle lows like any 15", and it is still nice and punchy like it has 10's. It's great! I picked it up last Friday and I can stop going downstairs just to even look at it! :)

9. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    man am i glad i don't have to carry that Frankenfurniture. heavy sounding and looking =)

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    either rack...
    [​IMG]

(not shown, bgw perf series 3 amp)

or trace head (ah600smx, i don't have a pic of it, unfortunately :( )

along with cabs...

[​IMG]

11. As the sun sets

As the sun sets Guest

Dec 10, 2002
    N. Easton, MA
    it's not THAT heavy... the cab is only 116 lbs. the SVT 8x10 cabs weigh around 160 lbs or so, so this is a lightweight compared to that! :D

12. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Argh, you've got me GASing over Aguilar cabs again :p

How would you rate it in comparison to Ampeg's bigger cabs (SVT610HLF, 810HLF, etc)? I just can't make a decision :)

13. As the sun sets

As the sun sets Guest

Dec 10, 2002
    N. Easton, MA
    much better!

it's lighter than the 8x10, but it's loud as hell (1200 watts), and it can handle lows like a mothah, and it's nice and tight, too! go for it, man! i got mine for $979 + tax (came out to $1037 total)

14. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Hmmmm... Interesting :)

Do you know how well it works with a 5-string?

15. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    [​IMG]

this heah's mah boomstick!

needs a bigger amp, but this is defenilty the nicest setup ive ever played through. sounds like an uber-410. punchy, but louder and with a bigger lowend impact.

FWIW that aggie 412 cabinet is georgeous, i love its understated simplicity.

16. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is all that stuff for?? I can tell the unit on top is a tuner, and I can ID the Aggie amp, but what do the rest of the units do??

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    1. korg dtr1 tuner
    2. patch bay to plug in basses
    3. axon ax100sb synth unit - takes 13 pin input from instrument and converts to midi, as well as being a sound source
    4.a. roland jv1010 - synth sound source
    4.b. boss se70 - effects unit
    5. marshall jmp-1 midi guitar preamp - for distortion
    6. aguilar db680 :bassist:
    7. sound sculpture switchblade gl - 16x16 midi controllable router. this enables me to route signals in any order i want - through one or the other of the preamps, through both, through effects units, and mix in the synth sounds too.

8. kawai k5000m - sound unit.
    9. digitech studio vocalist - for vocal harmonies. will probably be replaced with a tc electronic helicon when i get some dough.

18. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Holy Crap!:eek: John you got a license do drive all that stuff:D
    Looks confusing for a meet and potato's kinda guy like me:)

19. :D

<------ There it is!
    The inside of it, anyway....

20. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, it certainly is confusing, that's why i've been focusing on the "3 plugs and we're a go" trace elliot ah600smx at our recent gigs. i don't use the big monty unless something special is going on.