Show me your MIA Deluxe J Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist 4 life, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Hey!

Show me your MIA Deluxe J Basses, both 4 and 5 strings. Tell me how it sounds and plays too.
  2. zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    yeah i asked something similar about deluxe jazzes and the custom shop jazzes the other day but nobody owns or plays them seemingly.
  3. marcopalla

Aug 31, 2005
    when I went to my guitar center to buy my actual bass I wanted to buy it. Then I try the MIA deluxe and the MIM deluxe, some models, for hours, now I've the MIM deluxe. IMO the difference don't justify the price, quite same sound, no buzz, non noise both; the MIA has a little more sustain (I mean if you play a note it play for more time) that's the only difference I heard. Honestly I'm not a guru I do some medium gigs with my band and I record sometimes in studio for others...

my 0.1$$,
  4. I've got an aged cherry burst. It was a gift from wife for our 15th anniversary, and before I got that bass I didn't consider myself a "Fender" guy - silly me :)

That bass quickly became my main bass and I absolutely love it. The variety of tones, the playability, it's amazing. In addition to my band, I play in a church ensemble and I was using my Modulus Genesis 5 string for the extra range. For our Christmas programs, nothing required it, so I used my Fender. The music director came to me after one practice and said "New bass?" and I said no, but that it was my primary bass for other things. He said "why don't you just use that one then? We can work on the range issues."

I record with it and gig with it and it's been solid as a rock. I'll post some pics later if you want.
  5. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    My baby: 2002, 18volt, maple board.

Attached Files:

• Jazz.jpg
      File size:
      53.1 KB
  6. Sweet! Thanks for the pic! How does it play?
  7. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    It plays fantastic. Many tones are possible, from meek to agressive, from cutting to fat. The fit, finish, and fretwork are really good. There are no dead spots on this neck that I can tell. The back of the neck has a terrific finish on it- it just feels great to the touch. It is pretty light, although I am unsure of the exact weight. It is currently my favorite bass, and I have some pretty nice ones, though not high end. The American Deluxe Fenders are often bashed for not sounding like the classic versions. I don't think that sounding like the passive jazzes was the design criteria. It is true that they don't duplicate the passive tone exactly but they offer other advantages that, for me, outweigh this. If mine were stolen I would replace it right away!
  8. sandmann

Dec 27, 2005
    hello guys,

i have a 2002 fender jazz mia deluxe in chrome red with maple fretboard. it already has the 18v-electronics. i got it used (but actually it was like new) for 700,00 euro which is a joke for this bass. it is fantastic. it plays very easy and sounds like mr. millers jazz. it definitly sounds modern and is perfect for slapping, for oldschool i would choose a passive jazz since it sounds quite hi-fi even with all eq setting flat. i also thhink it was not the intention to make it sound like the old jazzes do. i think it is fenders approach to a modern sound.

it is the only 4-string i own. this bass inspires me more than any other of my axes(2 laklands, stingray 5, rosoce beck V, human basex fretless) and i can play things on this one that i cannot play on the others. perfect balance. i have not yet found a downside on this bass. unfortunatly i cannot play it in my coverbands because i need a b-string there. sometimes i use it for soloing.

i am quite sure that i will never sell this bass again.

9. i think that the MIA deluxe jazzes look strange the body shpe jus dont look right they should have kept the reg. jazz shape!
  10. skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    This was my main bass for awhile, but it belonged to my dad, so one day he bought me an MIM Deluxe Jazz and took his MIA back. After the installation of a BadAss II bridge and a set up, I honestly prefer the tone and playability of my MIM. The BAII is much better than the stock Fender bridge (in my opinion), which always caused intonation/action problems for me. However my (dad's) MIA is a '98, and Fender has since changed from the vintage style, multi-grooved saddles (or so I believe). As for the pickups and preamp, my 2000 MIM has the same pickups as the '98 MIA, and I absolutely love the tonal versatility I achieve(d) from both basses.
  11. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have a 2005 am dlx jazz V. Its sunburst with maple neck
    and mint (off white) pickguard. The neck has a 70's feel to
    it, as does the sound. Checked it out next to a Skyline
    DJ5 and JO5. Easily got the DJ sound and just about got
    the JO/j retro sound too, with a little tweeking. The eq
    is VERY flexible. (more than I thought)
    The body is not as small as the DJ5 but just a hair under
    the JO5. It took me about 5 minutes to get used to the
    body. I really like the size and shape of the bass. I wouldn't
    mind if they had gone for a more 60s vibe in sound and
    neck shape, but it felt like a more substantial solid bass
    than the Laklands, but I still really like the Laklands too.
    No dead spots and lots o sustain. No neck dive even with
    the substantial neck. It weighs about 9lbs tops. Best factory
    frettwork I've seen. I was shocked at how well it stood up
    next to A Sadowsky Metro 5, Lakland JO5, DJ5, and 55-02.
  12. I had a 99 Am. Dlx. V, sold it to pickup a 2003 Am. Dlx. FMT 4. I love this bass- the preamp kicks ass, goes from huge to old-school jazzy. I much prefer the Am. Dlx body shape to the normal jazz shape, it's much easier to get around.
  13. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    How's this?

2004 MIA Deluxe Jazz QMT
  14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    here's one i should have NEVER sold!
    and another cool one i sold.
    I am a big fan of these basses, they absolutely smoke ! the white one especially! man, i could have put that bass up against a lot of triple priced Fender styles and it would have shown them a lesson. The am dlx's are the only newer Fenders that do it for me, I had a Custom Shop Classic 5 that didn't feel as good as that white one- that thing was a slap monster.
    If it weren't for F basses, I'd probably have one of those.
  15. I love the way my FENDER 5 plays and, sounds.I bought it brand new and played sevral other basses in that price range and I opted for the FENDER 5.I will say there was another FENDER am. dlx. on the wall next to it and it had a thiner more hi-fi sound that I wasnt looking for in a FENDER.This one just had the sound and the feel so,I pulled the trigger!I slapped some flatwounds on her and all I could think was ol'school!There are some pics of her here:
  16. That blondie is seriously hot!

I'm going to have to buy a MIA Jazz deluxe to go with my P deluxe.
  17. Dough

Dec 7, 2005
    How about some pics of the MIA\MIM Deluxe P basses?
  18. steve21

steve21 Banned

I'd also like to see some MIA Deluxe Jazz's, but with the Cherryburst finish... so beautiful.
  19. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL

There, that is mine, though it haz cream DiMarzios in it now.