Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

show me your musciman stingray copies!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dumbdan162, Jun 3, 2005.

1. dumbdan162

dumbdan162

May 20, 2005
    include pictures!!!!, the only copies i know of are jay turner and olp!! and crappy ones like westfield

2. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    this will be my MM copy. right now its still in the works.

Attached Files:

3. dumbdan162

dumbdan162

May 20, 2005
    lol kewl...........thts pretty strange wood! i guess it was once painted

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im doubting it was. He probably selected the wood himself and had it made into a body./

5. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Yeah, the look is gonna be all natural. The back is mohagany, the top is rainforest wood. Forgot the names.

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Picked this one up a few weeks ago on ebay for $170.00 and it is the best Stingray copy I've ever played or heard. It came with an active preamp and I replaced the pickup with a Basslines - it plays and sounds great! It has a matched maple tiger stripe top (not photo finish), and the construction is surprisingly good.

I sanded the "RJP Technologies" logo off of the headstock, refinished the headstock and left it blank. It even has a battery cover on the back that is reminiscient of the pre-EB models. The headstock is an exact dimensional/shape copy of the Stingray's as well. I would be shocked if these guys did not get sued for it.

7. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    I can't think I've seen a finish that nice on any real EB.
    Thats a great find.

8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Thanks man! It is more versatile, tonally, than my Stingray, too. You can dial in a sweet Stingray tone, but with a little more growl, believe it or not. I actually REALLY like the tone of it and I almost opted to gig with it instead of my Stingray the other night!

9. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I have a Stagg SR4 copy, all black, that I paid £150 for last year (compared to £1100 for the real thing). Sorry, no pic, but I'm sure you can imagine what it looks like... pretty much like a black SR4! The only way it's less than authentic as a copy is it has a 4-a-side headstock instead of the famous 3+1.

It's actually a really nice bass and holds up fairly well when compared to my other basses - definitely the best value for money! I usually say it's like 80% of the quality for 10% of the price. It's got great bottom end thump, and I do use it a fair amount. I tend to take it out when I need to leave a bass locked in the car all day whilst at work before going to a gig or rehearsal.