1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Show me your Music Man mods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ach, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Anyone have modded their Music man bass?

2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I'll be surprised if there is much response here. MusicMan basses seem to satisfy players as-is. Don't see lots of mods beyond pickguard changes. MM Pickups and electronics tend to not get swapped out. Especially not compared to P & J style basses.

3. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    I just added a Hipshot drop D tuner, not much to show there really.

4. pbass62

pbass62 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Concord NC
    Why put a mustache on the Mona Lisa?

Rays dont need hacked on

5. I put flats on mine instead of rounds.:D

6. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    Ha

+1

I would love a Ray.

Fire Engine Red, Black Pickguard, Maple Neck.

I would tap that.

7. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Stingrays are perfect as is IMO. :)

I have never been happier with a bass, but as a friend told me the other day, I am a Music Man nut...

8. rad87gn

rad87gn

Sep 17, 2007
    rad87gn
    They are perfect from the factory. I just put a Hip Shot D-Tuner and strap locks on all 3 of mine along with 105 stings.

9. I'll be the pickups!

:eek: ;)

My Sterling is getting shipped out today...i will have to come back and post the 'mod' i'm doing. in addition to that, i also ordered a d-tuner, so that'll go on when it gets here.

sterling_tc.

10. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    Just a thumbrest and straplocks on mine..... I wouldn't have put the thumbrest on it but mine was made during the sharp pole piece years and resting my thumb on the pickup had a sort of cheese grater effect on my fingers when I would play.

I love my Ray.

11. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Straplocks....not too exciting.

12. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    I removed the scratchplate... put it back on though... I reckon they're not meant for modding.

13. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    i'm in the process of relicing mine the easy way. it just takes a while but eventually i'll get there.

14. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I agree that they are just great the way they are, but I think another reason they are not modded much is that there are very few aftermarket products that are direct replacement parts for MM basses that really change the character of the bass. So there isn't much need for the change. You can completely change the sound of a J or a P with PUPs, PREs, and other parts, but a MM still sounds like a MM.

15. rumblinbass

rumblinbass

Aug 22, 2003
    Wimberley, TX
    I almost started a thread like this a couple months back when I bought mine.

If not for the color of mine I would have liked to get all black hardware. I would really like a trans red with maple fretboard but I found a great deal on a used trans orange w/rosewood fb. I would like to find something other than the white pickguard though.

I did put strop locks on it.

Have thought about drilling out the holes on the neck to install inserts for the neck screws.

16. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I too have a trans Orange w/ rosewood fb. Mine is a Ray 5. I too have considered a different pg but with me being a die hard Tennessee Vols fan and playing out around the area, the orange and white gets me a lot of compliments. :cool:

17. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I'm probably throwing some Hipshot ultralight tuners on my SR5 in the near future.

I'm also seriously contemplating going back to a 4 string, 2 band eq 'Ray, and throwing the East vintage MM pre replica. I think it would kill!

18. I put some straps lock on mine too :hyper:

well ok, not so exciting...:bag:

19. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    For starters, I bought my '94 Sterling new with an all maple neck. After a couple of years I decided to go with rosewood and was able to get a replacement from EB (had to send the other one back of course). Much better than the one I had.

I'm afraid I did the pickup swap years ago. Tried a Bart but it wasn't doing it for me. Then I got a Lane Poor (dealt with him directly to give you an idea of how long ago that was) and recently dropped in an OBP-3 to replace the Bart I had in it. I am very happy with it!

Two years ago I added the thumb rest that lets me comfortably play anywhere between the pickup and the neck. I must say it really opened up the tone palette. Now I have the anchor I prefer with the option of any playing position.

A few tweaks and now it is one of the best playing and sounding basses I've ever had.:D

20. i recently played a Stingray H with a piezo pickup. if i ever bought one, i'd like to have a passive tone control for the piezo. maybe have a stacked volume knob for the piezo which would incorporate the tone control and lose the blend control.

seriously cool bass, tho. it really opened my eyes...