Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Show me your pre-gibson Tobias (or just show it off)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by IvanMike, Oct 14, 2003.

1. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Ok i admit, the thread title is pretty cheesey, but i'm enamored by every pre gibson tobias i play (no comment on gibiason basses)
    i really think the guy has a hell of a bass in the new MTD line as well
    So if you're inclined tack on a picture of your pre gibson tobias, and if you would it would be neat to see the serial #'s and the woods/electronics used
    the only reason i am interested in serial numbers is to see how the tobias had evolved over time

Mine's # 474 its a 4 stringer with alder/walnut for a body, bird's eye maple and bubinga for a neck, and an ebony boardthe electronics are odd - there are 3 stacked knobs, the top are volume volume passive tone, the bottom are treble mid bass with no center detents, turning all fully counterclockwise = no output. The passive tone is the bomb, and its got a passive active switch.

allright i forgot how to get my image to appear here when editing - man..........
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    This one was mine for a while. Verrrry nice. Decided someone else would get more out of it than me, however.

[​IMG]

3. Damn. Just damn!!!!

Both of those basses look good enough to eat.

4. Here's my Signature: purported to be the last Tobias made by the regular crew in LA (s/n 2044). I believe that it's goncalo alves with wenge, purpleheart, walnut and a ziricote fingerboard.

[​IMG]

5. Wow! Geshel, that's beautiful. What top is on that?

6. I've got to post this one of the back as well...

[​IMG]

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yeah, backs are good:

[​IMG].

:D

Bernie: it's zebrawood, with a wenge tone plate. Wenge and bubinga (er - or was that purpleheart? looks like it) neck.

8. Great stuff man! I love the finish as well. Looks like it darkened the zebra some. Again, very nice bass.

9. Darren R

Darren R

Sep 25, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Wow, that is one mighty fine six string. So sweet!:cool:

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
  11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    [​IMG]

1978 and 1984. Original owner :D

12. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    brad i presume the darker bass all the way on the right is the 78?
    ripping off the alembic omega cutaway i see....
    j/k
    thanks for all the replies so far, keep em coming
    btw, i've seen 3 others for sale that i can remember lately - why do people sell these things?
    oh what i meant to say is, they're no good, sell em to me cheep

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

14. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    no kidding
    i remember bp saying fair price on these was 1700-2700 but that was a few years ago
    i got mine for 1500 (cost of a new preamp bumped it up to 1700) about 5 years ago
    when i called mike to ask some questions he laughed and said that thats what he sold it for wholesale in 1986

15. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Man I wish that Mike was still able to make these basses because not only were they good looking instruments they were by far proably the most focus sounding instrument that I've ever owned along with outstanding feel, and playability

16. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    true that, true that
    i'd love to see some more 4 strings

17. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    You know Guys I gotta tellya,I hear all this talk about how the Gibson Tobias doesnt measure up to the PreGibson and some of it is proably valid but I owned both and to me the Gibson product was no slouch I will admit that the Gibson Tobias lack a little in craftsmanship(not that much,at least not my Basic 5)but I assure when I got ready to sell it I had no problem what so ever selling it for a real good price.I tellya this when any of the music stores around my area gets a Tobias in it doesnt stay on the rack very long I dont care what other bass is there,Warwick,Ernieball,Modulus the Tobias is GONE ! PreGibson or not

18. I hear you, Hands5. I recently parted with a Classic 4-string (sn 31xx) that was really quite an amazing bass. In some ways I miss it... it was very light, had a great neck and sang beautifully. Unfortunately I just didn't need another great 4-string any longer.

The good news is that these can be had for much less that the pre-Gnashville (as Mike likes to call it) basses.

19. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The hit to miss ratio of the Gibsons just seemed a lot lower. There were some decent basses made in Nashville and a lot of sub(Tobias)standard ones IMO IME.

I always get a chuckle when people say that a 35" scale is required for a great B. My 1984 5 rivals just about anything I've heard since:D

20. IvanMike

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    the hit to miss ratio is a lot higher in the gibsons, not that there aren't players in there, but i've played a lot of em and left shaking my head - i've never done that with one of mike's basses