Show me your right-hand wear on your basses !!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DeadPoet, Apr 19, 2005.

1. DeadPoet

Jun 4, 2003

Don't you guys sometimes feel a little proud if your fave bass has a 'thumb hole' right above a pickup, if the plastic cover of a pickup starts wearing off, if your pickguard grows thin of popping,... ???

Show us!

Smith 6 with approx 2mm 'thumb hole' above neck pickup. Smaller holes are growing between the two pickups and above the bridge pickup.
    MM5: plastic cover starts wearing of in 3 layers...

Interesting for the right hand technique :D

Attached Files:

2. Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
  3. Wow that thumb hole likes pretty much exactly like the one i've been wearing into my vette.
  4. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    My Status has some thumb wear near the neck pickup from its previous owner (apparently he exclusively used the neck pickup) and some slap wear where the neck and the body meet near the fretboard from me. I was thinking of redoing the paint job but I kind of like the look of the wear.
  5. i dont have any except a few fingernail scratches on the pickguard

however i used to have an instructor with a bass that had like half in grooves right under the strings in between the pickups, i think there was like 2 of them, he also had a bunch of other wear but that was the most promenent

his bass made jaco look like he took good care of his "bass of doom"
  6. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
  7. Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Yes, now it's #135... Don't know how that happened... Maybe the moderators have cut some forum entries or so... Sorry anyway, my bad :meh:
  8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
  9. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    My Cote Continuum's R. thumb wear.
  10. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    What the hell?
    Is that from slapping and popping, but on the bridge side?
  11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    though I have no pictures.... I've done that to 2 basses in my life so far. I'm a little heavy right handed too :bassist:
  12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have none to show.
  13. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    To save everyone some loading time: Post #135

As for me, my bass is too young, so it's immaculate outside of smears from my sometimes greasy fingers grabbing it.
  14. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I feel wholy inadequate. I have no wear to show you guys. I just have a little (polishing) of the pickup right above the B string where my thumb rests.

I need to play more.
  15. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I have not done that level of damage, but I always wonder how much you have to play to get that kind of wear. I know you have to not cut your thumbnail to get a nice abrasive action going.

135 is just nuts, though.
  16. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I don't have any noticeable wear. Not from playing anyways. I have disrespected my P-bass a bit from some punk stuff I used to play. After every set, I threw it, and dropped to the stage (usually face first). I gave it a few too many dents like that, and now i treat it like the princess that it is.
  17. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    My Thumb had some pre-made thumb wear (hahaha)

However I don't think I'll add much of my own because I tend to rest my thumb on the pickup or on the strings.

18. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I don't have any pics and it's at the practice spot right now so I can't snap one. But my fretless cirrus has a lot of string wear on the pickups, behind the B there is a 1 inch spot that is polished shiny and smooth. keep in mind this is oil finished wenge. Between the neck and pickup there is some splitting of the grain in several places above the G string from popping and digging in my fingernail. It was my only bass that I played in one band for about a year straight, slapping and all, so it wore quite a bit, and I don't usually wear my stuff.