show me your satin finish!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Taustin Powers, Jan 19, 2003.

1. I'm trying to decide on a finish for my custom bass (swamp ash body, buckeye burl top). Don't think I want a high gloss, and the natural oil might look a little dull, so I'm thinking satin. Anyone got some pics of their satin finished basses they can post?

Also, how does a satin finish neck feel, compared to a natural oil finish? I have a Warwick Streamer Stage I right now, and really like the way that neck feels. How much different would a satin finish neck feel?

Thanks, T
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Hehe... here's my recent thread suitably named Overwater arrives! - Warning, no burl inside... :). There's pictures in the beginning and also halfway down the first page.

It has a swamp ash body with a satin finish, it feels absolutely fantastic to the touch, smooth as baby skin...

The neck is a bit glossier, my Fender is actually smoother, and I think I prefer a satin finish to the neck as well.

I think however that natural oil or an oil/wax finish can be slightly glossier than a satin finish which is totally matt.
  3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here's my Curbow 8 string with a Satin finish over Burled Elm.

The neck is satin finished Rockwood lite, and it feels great, too. I think satin finishes on necks have a lot less grab than gloss finishes, and even oil finishes. Granted, with oil finishes, the type of neck wood comes into play as to how the ultimate feel will be.

I'm a big fan of Satin finishes. I'm actually about to have my Curbow 5 string refinished from the gloss wineburst it currently has to a satin blueburst. I have a feeling that the satin burst over lacewood top will look like alien skin. :D

Anders--I hadn't seen your Overwater fretless. Very nice! I dig the satin finish on the Jazz. Understated, yet deadly with the JRetro preamp, I'm sure. I agree that the satin finish feels super smooth, too.
  4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Not mine, but a great satin finish over a greenburst.

I would love to have a bass made out of lizard, too. ;)