Show me your Sonic Blue Mustang PJ Cosmetic Mods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NorthTexasBass, Sep 6, 2019.

1. NorthTexasBass

NorthTexasBass Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Dallas / Fort Worth
    Love my Mustang PJ, but starting to really dislike the sonic 'barely' blue with the stock mint green pick guard . It looks way too washed out and I think going to a white, pearloid or even a reddish tort PG would help. Maybe even changing the pickup covers to white or cream would help it actually look more blue as well.

Please show me any improvements you have made to help me decide.

Thanks!

MCF and cratz2 like this.
  2. cratz2

cratz2

Jul 8, 2019
    Indy, IN
    I just got one. Sonic Blue + Mint. Mine does have a pretty dark fretboard. Darker than most current pics seem to show.

I like it. Of course, I like all the surfy Fender custom colors.

Both my P Bass and my Jazz Bass currently have tort guards or else I'd probably put a tort on the Mustang.

3. NorthTexasBass

Jan 14, 2011
    Dallas / Fort Worth
    I have the Rosewood board from before the switch to Pau Ferro fretboards.

I normally like the Fender colors as well. A buddy got a Strat with sonic blue and the mint pg around the same time and it doesn't look near as washed out, but it does have white pickups. It actually looks like sonic blue. It has been discussed here on TB that there is something different about the sonic blue on these Mustangs. Don't know if it's because of the factory in Mexico, or what the deal is.

cratz2 and MCF like this.
  4. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    DownWithTheDown likes this.
  5. HD007

HD007

Jul 12, 2018
    Nothing dramatic here, but I put on a tort guard and Hipshot ultralite lollipop tuners. Mine is also rosewood board.

The blue on these is definitely odd. I wanted Oly white, but this was used and weight was a key factor (pinched nerve in neck flares up sometimes). With Hipshots it weighs 7 pounds.

I like to think of it as white, but in some lights that blue tinge is unmistakable. I don’t understand it, but hey, it’s a bass and it works.

95C33F81-AE2B-45DF-8D7A-47406D646C7A.jpeg

cratz2, MCF and DownWithTheDown like this.
  6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I did all my mods on my computer keyboard, right before I actually ordered the bass.

It came out looking like this. And I love it :):

[​IMG]

screefer, DownWithTheDown and MCF like this.
  7. NorthTexasBass

Jan 14, 2011
    Dallas / Fort Worth
    Haha. Unfortunately I ordered mine when they first came out, hadn't heard any complaints about the faded blue, and didn't have the option of these Sweetwater and CME special colors. I still prefer it over the Oly white and red that were originally offered

I love mine, just as time goes on, the color bugs me more and more for some reason. It's my #1, and I'm starting to gig, so I just want to make it perfect.

MCF and Joe Nerve like this.
  8. Bix

Bix

Sep 6, 2019
    Went pearloid on mine, with a white switch, and changed out the stock bridge for a vintage style. It's always looked like a good faded blue to me, but then it does sit on a stand next to my white p bass. 20190907_183713.jpg

wraub, bobba66, Tad and 3 others like this.
  9. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Same thing with mine, early one with a dark rosewood FB. Usually looks like a light blue baby blanket, although it always looks white in pics.

10. NorthTexasBass

Jan 14, 2011
    Dallas / Fort Worth
    That looks really good with the pearloid.

MCF likes this.
  11. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    You know, the more I look at your pic the more I’m lusting for that pickguard. May I ask where you got it? I’m happy with the stock bridge. It’s the tuners that I’m replacing when I get to it. A new
    PG will certainly give me the incentive to finish it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  12. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Well, get another one and string it with flats (or rounds if you’re running flats on yours now). Boom, you’ve got two different sounding Mustangs. Easily justifiable. Or get a Nordy J pickup for one of them. Then you’re really golden.

13. That’s exactly what mine looks like. I’m not crazy about mint PGs but in this case it looks ok. Joe, let’s start the pearl green with mint PG and maple FB Mustang Club!

14. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    My old one which I sold after my white Mustang got the bigger share of the attention:

White pearloid pickguard, cream switch baton with 1/3 of the height shaved off, additional switch washer behind the pickguard to make the switch sit lower, black thumb rest, Fender 'Badass' bridge.

Judging by the fretboard the Pau Farro neck from my white Mustang bass was enjoying a holiday on the sonic blue body here. Oddly the necks never worked on the opposite basses.

[​IMG]

15. NorthTexasBass

Jan 14, 2011
    Dallas / Fort Worth
    That's a thought. I'm considering a Dano Longhorn or an Allen Woody to get something a little different, but I like this thing so much, I may just go that route.

16. NorthTexasBass

Jan 14, 2011
    Dallas / Fort Worth
    Looks sharp! I have a zero mod thumbrest, but I like the look of the black one.

Axstar likes this.
  17. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I goofed with the pic :). Mine has the pau ferro fingerboard.

18. Bix

Bix

Sep 6, 2019
    Pickguard was from WD Pickguards (UK) though I had to call them since it didn't appear on their website. Fits perfect. The stock bridge was absolutely fine ... I still have the exact same one on my p bass ... I just switched it because I had a vintage one spare ☺

19. Funny you say that. When I ordered mine I thought I was getting Paul ferro, but either I messed up or the shop messed up the order and it came through with maple. When I saw it I decided I really liked it and I kept it!

Joe Nerve likes this.
  20. NorthTexasBass

Jan 14, 2011
    Dallas / Fort Worth
    Where did you guys order the surf pearl Mustang from?