Show me your Wood(en pickguards)!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TrevorOfDoom, Sep 5, 2017.

1. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I've got a couple basses that I'm planning on modding, and none of the mods are common, so I have to get custom guards made, or i could make them myself.
    I'm considering the second option, and wondering if other have done it.
    So let's see some pics!!

2. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Geez, don't everybody start posting at once! Form a nice and orderly line, please.

3. Pandastylebass

Pandastylebass The Moon Machine

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    GniflJ5.jpg bVhzk6T.jpg

Duckophile and dabbler like this.
  4. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Sexy! Especially the Jazz!!
    Where'd those come from? If you made them, may i ask your process?
    I'm still debating how I want to do it.
    Also, how thick are those guards?

5. Pandastylebass

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Both came from ebay, I have a yellowheart wood jazz pickguard I'm looking to get rid of. I has never been used. If someone is interested
    YC3B58s.jpg

6. Big Z Bass

Big Z Bass

Apr 4, 2018
    Connecticut
    Just finished a p-bass with rough stone paint and a hand-made rosewood pickguard cut out of a guitar top blank with the old guard as a template. Fine tuned the pickup holes with a dremel.

Attached Files:

eJake likes this.
  7. I made this one out of 1/8" birch plywood from the craft store. I used minwax ebony stain. I got the idea from the "Build your dream bass for under $150" video on youtube. I'm happy with how it turned out.

My bass.jpg

CTv likes this.
  8. Big Z Bass

Big Z Bass

Apr 4, 2018
    Connecticut
    Nice! Can't believe how good the wood grain pops with Birch! Messing with some powdered dies I bought online for a new project. Going to take an old Memphis Bass and dye the body blue with a teal stained pickguard. Got two different Lowe's plywood specials and a chunk of cedar. The one on the left had some weird voids that I thought would look cool but you never know until you stain it. One on the right is the cedar, think it's too dark with not enough pop. Good before and after experiment, though.

Attached Files:

9. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Ash pickguard on my refinished Geddy Lee Jazz.

I'd like to darken up the pickguard with perhaps a stain of somesort one day...

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

10. Pandastylebass

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    GKkLCHy.jpg
    Yellow Heart Wood

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021