Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Show me your zeroth frets!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Dec 15, 2002.

1. I'm planning on getting a zero fret ( where there's a fret where the nut would be ) on my next bass. If anyone has some pictures that highlight their zero fret, please post them here.

Also, how do you like it? Any info would be appreciated.

- Dave

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Check out my DP Custom and Hohner pics (link is in my signature below). Works fine, but don't expect any huge difference.

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Dave,

Is this what you are looking after ?

;)

[​IMG]

4. that idea has appealed to me for a while - are there any cons to it?

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't really think there are many drawbacks. Sure, it's hard to replace and recrown a zero fret, but cutting a nut is also a pretty exact science. And, with a zero fret, switching gauge strings isn't an issue, because they all pass over the same height of the fret. So regauging strings would be easy, as would be a converstion to a EADGC 5er or a BEAD 4, or whatever.

It's just different, really.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Brendan, the nut is still cut for the general guage of string being used. The width of the slot can still be an issue, while the depth isn't.

My MTD 635 has a zero fret. I can't see any possible drawbacks to it. It's most likely better from a wear point of view vs. a non-metallic nut slot. The advantage is supposed to be that the open string will sound more like the fretted notes. My 635 is definitely uniform sounding. By the same token, I haven't had any issues with my non zero fret basses.

The funny thing is, zero frets used to be popular on really cheap basses way back when.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's sorta what I meant, with changing gauges, some nuts need to be filed a bit (if it's a nut cut precisley to the factory string gauge)..

8. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000