Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Show off your Frankenbass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jontom, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I have just recently done some mods to a bass I bought for $150. Its a Mitey Mite P-bass I bought used. It has a maple body and maple neck. I painted the pickguard in black and the dots are black, sleek! The bass came with a split-P Dimarzio and for Stingray-like tones, I added a Bartolini MusicMan pickup by the bridge. The pickup has a preamp w/bass,treble,mid, and mid Q. So I added a few more chrome knobs. I'll be darned if it doesn't pull off Stingray,Sabre,and P-bass tones. I am tickled it was so easy! So all you amateur luthiers out there lets see your "Frankenbasses"! (I'd love to show mine, but no camera). Tisk.

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I guess I'd consider my MIM P-Bass a "Frankenbass." I'll post pics as soon as I get my throw-away camera developed (I know, I owe pics to a lot of threads).

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Ooooo-whee! Good thread! I love futzin' with "cheap" Yamahas :)

RBX260F with T/I Flats
    (finally learned how to add text to a photo :D )...

[​IMG]

Here's the "old" BBN4F (with J pups) I got stoopid cheap.
    I'da preferred a natural finish, but cheapskates can't be choosers.

[​IMG]

Soon's I get shore leave from Planet Estros :rolleyes: (vacation), it's getting
    a pair of DiMarzio Ultra-Jazz' (painted hot pink of course). The pots will
    be replaced by two, stacked controls (vol/tone for each pup). The third
    "hole" gets a Les Paul type toggle switch. I'm torn between T/I Jazz
    Rounds or Pyramid solid nickel rounds "funk" gauge (35-95). A fretboard
    coating will be a must.

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    It's almost as ugly as the original Frankie:

[​IMG]

Arbor PJ 4-string. EMG Select pickups and BTC preamp. Impatient home defret job.

5. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Geshel...looks like you have all the early 80's English New Wavers covered on that one!(Where's Bauhaus and the Cure?) Nice color scheme(and I don't mean that in a 5th grade kind of way). Notduane...Do you own a heat gun? Cuz that bass can be natural finish in 2 shakes! I did the color removal trick on a Ric 4001(it was fireglo...does anyone really like FIREGLO?). Anyway, just keep the gun at a safe distance as to not burn the wood. I actually burned a spot UNDER the paint(weird), you'd think the paint would burn first. So I sanded the spot out. No Worries Mate. The wood was very hard, so it didn't take stain well. But I found a gel stain that you rub in that worked great! You may want to try it...

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Cool idea! Derr...why didn't I think of that? It's got a
    matching black headstock and knowin' my luck, while
    strippin' that I'd probably melt the plastic nut :p.

I guess I approached it from the "lower the river" angle instead
    of "raisin' the bridge". To add some color, I figger to paint the
    pickups hot pink :rolleyes:.

Here's a crude renderin' courtesy Photosuite...

[​IMG]

7. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz

Mar 9, 2002
    Mass.
    Heres my FrankenBass: MIM P body in CAR, came with Bart 8s pickup. Added Squier Bullet tele style maple neck, gold guard and thumbrest. Trying tgo get that MIJ Duck Dunn bass look.

[​IMG]

8. I'm digging the darwin fish. :D