1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Show off your pick guard/scratch plate

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TST, Feb 24, 2018.

1. TST

TST

Dec 21, 2017
    Wombat Forest
    I think the scratch plate is a great non-destructive way to add your own personality to your instrument. It was one of the first things I thought about when I got my p-bass. Perhaps because it was secondhand I wanted to lay claim - kind of cleanse it - to make it my own.

If you have a custom plate you want to show off, here's your chance. Maybe caption your image with why you chose it, what is might mean to you and, perhaps, how you got it done.

Here's mine:
    bass1.
    The main artwork was done by the late Finnish painter Akseli Gallen-Kallela; yeah, I know, a mouthful. He was famous for his works on the Kalevala, the grand Finnish myth. As a student of mythology, I like the contemporary look and feel of this painting (oils, by the way). There are details I particularly like such as the four spears pointing up toward the bass strings, holding back the 'dark hag'. I like the flow of sailors' hats with the control nobs. That wing at the top. It took a while to get the best parts of the painting to sit within the p-bass' scratch plate dimensions, and I had to copy bits here and there to get it right. The Celtic looking symbol is a Finnish good luck charm. I had the plate made in the UK and shipped back to Australia. It's printed on clear perspex(?) and printed from underneath, so the image doesn't degrade. I'm very happy with it.

Crusher47, fttfbass and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  2. TST

TST

Dec 21, 2017
    Wombat Forest
    This might just turn into a personal blog. Here's the beauty in all its form.
    bass2.
    I love my bass.

fttfbass likes this.
  3. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Pilgrim, DenverontheOne, TST and 2 others like this.
  4. I’ve seen you post this other places along with your other beautiful guitars and amps. You stuff is so well done with style and colors. This one is spectacular to me (favorite color-red) and probably my favorite!

2saddleslab likes this.
  5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Makes me want to learn the art of pinstriping!

2saddleslab and DenverontheOne like this.