1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Show Off Your Roscoe Beck Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dwc3690, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Let's see them, I am getting one in the near future and I want to see the community I will be joining.

Thanks,
    Dan C.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Here are my Roscoe Beck basses (the 2 on the right, of course). Love 'em!

[​IMG]

3. Nice Basses!!!

Are those Bad Ass Bridges? I was thinking about the bridge situation. I heard when they re-release the RBV they are going to put hipshot bridges on the V and the IV. Should I wait or buy an upgrade?

4. Bo_H

Bo_H

Jul 2, 2004
    Diggin' all them basses, Fuzz, but I love the RB's the most. I have to have one.

Bo

5. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    Roscoe V

Attached Files:

6. I am thinking of getting the crimson transparent with rosewood, it will look very similar to that. Nice bass.

7. Fuzzbass

Thank you. :)

The bridge on the original RB5 is a Gotoh, I believe. IMO it's the only negative about the bass. String height changes when you lock the saddles down, so you have to unlock, adjust and intonate, re-lock... repeat as often as necessary. That can be a pain. So, if the new RB5 is the same as the old RB5 but with a nicer bridge, then I would recommend waiting for the new RB5.

One of the great features of the original RB5 is the asymmetrical neck profile. If I had my way, *all* basses would have asymmetrical neck profiles... I like them that much! I hope the new RB5 has that feature too.

8. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    [/QUOTE]
    One of the great features of the original RB5 is the asymmetrical neck profile. If I had my way, *all* basses would have asymmetrical neck profiles... I like them that much! I hope the new RB5 has that feature too.[/QUOTE]

I bought My Roscoe V in 2001, it does not have an asymmetrical neck profile. & I don't recall that feature on earlier models.

9. I am a 4 string player so I will definetly be getting that one. I will have to see how it plays with the bridge stock, it is different than normal fender bridges... but we will see.

10. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I have a Sunburst RB V but no pictures of it at the moment. However, here's my Honeyburst & rosewood RB IV...

RBIV0020012.

11. so that is honeyburst... i might have to change from crimson to that.

12. fresnorich

fresnorich

Sep 17, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Here's mine:

IMG_7152-1.

th_IMG_7155.
    th_IMG_7157.
    th_IMG_7161.
    th_IMG_7162.
    th_IMG_7165.
    th_IMG_7166.
    th_IMG_7167.
    th_IMG_7168.

13. Fuzzbass

You're talking about the Fender Roscoe Beck and not a Keith Roscoe, correct? The '97 RB5's I own have a slight asymmetric contour. It fooled me too at first, because it's subtle. I prefer the MTD 535 because it's a bit more asymmetric, but I still dig the RB5.

As someone here explained, the way to tell is to bend a piece of solder around the back of the neck.

14. Fuzzbass

15. JmJ

JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    NYC
    Dadgum you're right. I guess you can't argue with Fuzzbass!

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    FenderRBVBody01W.

17. fresnorich or main_sale,

What do you guys think of the stock bridge on the RBIV? Should I upgrade?

fresnorich,

What is that plastic piece between the pickups? I want to guess thumb rest?

By the way, we have some nice photography going on here.

18. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I like my RB's just the way they came from the factory and think they are the best sounding Fender's I've ever heard. Lots of tonal control as well. The bridge is already upgraded at the factory and works great. The plastic between the pickups could be used as a thumb rest but it keeps your fingers from going too deep between the strings. That sunburst RB V with the tort guard is just killer. I'm going to have to get one of those guards for mine some day sooner than later.......

19. mantelclock

mantelclock

Jul 19, 2005
    I have no pictures yet, but I have a '97 RB V in Shoreline Gold and a brand new IV in 3TS. I'm keeping the IV, but I can't get used to the relatively large neck on the V after a year and a half playing a Cirrus V. For a passive bass, the Roscoe Beck is about the most versatile tone-wise that I have ever played. I will be selling the V in a month or so.

20. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    I have an RBV in the same blue as everyone else!;) I'm thinking of having it refinished to match my four-stringer though.