Show off your Sunn gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by protoz, Jul 16, 2005.

1. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Now I know a lot of you guys are running Sunn gear so lets show it off!

From top to bottom:
    1968 Sunn Sorado with original Sunn tubes - This one will never leave my side. Ever.
    1982-86 Sunn Coliseum 300 - great amp with a ton of punch but I blew it out at a gig because of poor wiring at the venue.
    1999-2002 Sunn 1200S - Picked this up from SMASH on the board here. Great amp I finally got it all EQ's just how I like it.
    19?? Sunn 215 2x15 bass cab - This fridge came from Ty McNeely on the board here and it just thumps. Best purchase I have made for my sound.
    (not pictured)
    John Entwistle Sunn ad from 1978

Now how bout you guys lets see if you can top my hoarding of Sunn gear.
  2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I envy you so much. :bawl:
  3. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Don't be shy Ox show off what you have then update us when you get that 200S ;)
  4. I'm in awe, dudes! Sunn is teh oldschool :eek: :bassist: :D .....
  5. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    I want something Sunn so bad. :(

Ok just to clarify, all of you that have Sunn gear know the history right?
  6. until.tomorrow

until.tomorrow Guest

May 5, 2003
    US - Milwaukee
    There is a Sunn 3x12 cabinet along with a Sceptre head forsale at my local music store. I was really interested in it cause they told me it was a 215 cabinet...Then I checked it out and CLEARLY saw three silver speaker domes.
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Ever heard of the band Sunn(0)))? I think that was the only amplicification that they would use.
  8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD

Soon to get:

And hopefully one of these:
  9. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Definately, I had a bassist ask about my sunn gear last night after my gig and went through the history and what he can buy now new thatis the same as Sunn gear (rebadged fender gear) because he loved my tone

Very nice gear Ibanks, how do you like the Coliseum?

abark000: That's the only gear I'll use now too :) Yea they are a very interesting band to say the least. Lots of droning and low end. I'd love to see them live.
  10. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    No pics yet, but a 300T and and SPL 8028 18+12. Makes me happy.
  11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You finally got the 300T? How do you like it? It's not as heavy as people make it out to be, probably due to the excellent placement of the handles.
  12. steers b-c

steers b-c

Aug 23, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Yup, I have it now. I've used it for one practice and one show...and I've pretty much just left everything flat, which i've never done with any other amp. I really love the thing. I do have to disagree with you about the handles though. The location is good, but because they are rubber they pin your hands against the side. Swinging metal ones would be a massive improvement. It's plenty heavy, but I'm young and dumb enough not to care about it.

I'll be redoing all my bass on the record with it soon, so that will be the real test.
  13. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Very sweet and clean. Was my gigging amp, until I gotta paranoid about theft. Didn't want to lose it on some BS. So the Sunn and the Trace came home and the Dual Bmaxs and the RMX-850 went out.:)
  14. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Ah, Sunn amps...
    Remnds me of my early bass years...
    I had a Sunn Concert Bass head (second generation, made circa 1976), and a 215 cab (same as pictured above).
    As far as I remember I sold the head to get a Marshall Lead 100 head (sounded huge with my 4001). I can't even remember when, why and to whom I sold the cab.
    All I remember is that on my "late Sunn years" I also had an Ampeg B-15N (yeah, a genuine Portaflex).
    Don't have pics anymore. All my photos until 1993 were destroyed in a fire.
    I just remember having good times and lots of fun with my Sunn rig.
  15. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Good call on the theft thing. I used my old Sunn Sorado at one gig and promptly took it back to my trunk and bundled it up with a bed comforter and two pillows. No one is taking that one!
  16. I had a 1970 Sonaro (same as the Sorado and 200S, but came with a really low tech single 15" cab), which I foolishly traded in on some other stuff in 1990. Didn't like the tone and output all that much, but it had this charm to it, plus it was my second ever bass amp, purchased new.
  17. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place

Not a fan of those handles myself, but I really like my new-to-me 300T. I'm old and dumb enough to have bought and sold truckloads of tube amps, and the 300T is a lightweight compared to just about any full size tube head, not counbting rack mount designs.
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Question for the Sunn users... what makes Sunn sound like Sunn? Is it more in the amp or more in the cab. I've very amature when it comes to knowledge of amps... but I played through a Sunn setup and I sounded like the earth being destroyed by comets of awesome.
  19. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm not sure...I've only run my sunn amps on sunn gear except once on a Carvin 8x10 and it still sounded like I was tearing the earth apart so I am guessing it's a lot to do with the amp.

Which is probably why Sunn0)) (the band) only runs Sunn heads and get WAY down low.