Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Show off your vinyl LP collections!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by frederic b. hodshon, Oct 3, 2003.

1. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
  2. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I probably have around 200+ LP's from the mid-late 70's and early 80's. All only played one time to make a cassette copy. Everything from Zepplin to Pink Floyd to Frank Zappa to Billy Joel to Bob Seger to Molly Hatchet to Cheap Trick to Eric Clapton to Fleetwood Mac to Eagles to The Who to Pat Benatar to Yes to Rush and others I can't even remember. They are all stored with my Technics direct drive turntable with it's Shure V15 Type-IV cartridge up in a closet. I keep thinking I should do something with it all but I guess some kids will find it one day after I pass away and say "Wow look at all this stuff Grandpa had! All of these artists are dead now!" :D

3. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    yeah, i wonder what to do with these things.

i thought about archiving 'em all to CD and selling them, but jeez, at over 2,000 lps, that's quite a task.

most of my stuff is weird/avant/jazz/prog/import.

f

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I have a bunch of stuff but the killer in terms of value is an original copy of Jimi Hendrix's "Bold As Love" on vinyl.

Beacoup bux.

5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I have about 300. Most of them are pretty beat as I used to play certain ones A LOT! A lot of them are out of print.

My son grooves over the covers and cover art.
    That is one thing you just don't get on CD.

Some of the art was superb.

I remember the inside of James Gang Rides Again as
    having great art, for example.

Thor

6. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    wasn't that the Dali cover?

f

7. Thor

I don't believe so ...

Though I may have confused it with the first James Gang inside. The early 70's are still
    bit of a purple haze ...

8. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    :eek:

Wow! Until I saw this thread, I almost forgot about my vinyl collection!! It's been in long term storage for years.

I've got all kinds of "old" stuff: Floyd, Zeppelin, Moby Grape, Alice Cooper, Hendrix, bootlegs and huge assortment of obscure albums.

Maybe I'll drag some of it out this weekend for old times sake!!

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I easily have 2000+ LPs...
    Still have my 1st 3 'real' albums(given to me, I think, it was on my 12th birthday)-
    Santana-Abraxas
    Led Zep-III
    Jackson 5-ABC

Some goodies got away, too.
    Like the original pressing of Captain Beyond's debut; the cover had one of those '70s 3-D nylon thingees. Very cool, IMO.
    I still have School's Out with the pair of pink panties(only worn once).

A friend recently dumped their vinyl on me...kinda cool having The Beatles("White Album") pressed on white vinyl.
    Wish I had one of those Beatles' "Butcher cover" records...
    ;)

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Beautiful bass fhodshon.

All my LP's are wrapped and stored because of the recent move and re-modeling I am involved in.

11. Thor

Hmmm, I had a few great ones. 2 Hendrix. 2 Dead.
    Live recordings. Bought them outside concerts. You never knew what you got, but mine were excellent!

[ Of course, I don't have them any more... ]

What did you have in that category?

12. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    The only vinyl I own myself is Rmantic Warrior by Stanley clarke.

My dad has a laod of oldschool punk and metal ones, many featuring banned sleeves due to explicit imagary etc.

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    2 crates, mostly hip hop, drum n bass, and old 70s funk.

probably about 60 records

plus we got about 7 boxes in the garage of old stuff. A LOT of beatles, I think we have every beatle LP ever put out.

14. dumnut

dumnut

Oct 6, 2002
    Victoria, BC
    I tried cataloguing mine last summer. Its a shared hobby of my fathers and I, so I do believe we're pushing around 4,500+ at the moment. They take up a lot of space, but not only do they sound great, they have this great odour as well.

15. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Erk, every lp I ever smelt had a distinctive pesnioner odour to it (and I'm not talking about the dog-food aroma).

16. dumnut

dumnut

Oct 6, 2002
    Victoria, BC
    I rank the smell up there with old books. Its good once you get used to it.

17. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I only have about 40 LPs but one that I am proud to say is still intact is Led Zeppelin's "In through the Out Door" complete with the brown paper wrapper.