1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Show off you're EL Cheapo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DougD, Jul 18, 2007.

1. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Any one out there ever find a cheap bass that just knocks your socks off? Let's see em!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here's mine, it’s a Vintage Modified Jazz bass. Just got it yesterday:hyper: Cost me $250.00 brand spankin new:bassist: It looks good, plays good and best of all it sounds GREAT!! She aint' no boutique beauty, but she’ll get the job done :smug: Seems like the perfect fit for the hole in the wall bar gig :)
    View attachment 63813
    So.. come on let's see some good ole cheap basses:D

2. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    You'll probably get a lot of these SX basses.About $200,also a great hole in the wall bar bass.

My SX Geddy 5 clone.

Basses005.

3. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    I've gotten great deals on all of my basses... the most I've ever spent on one is $400 for my MIM Jazz which I bought new in GC. :D I spent $215 on my P, $400 on my Jazz and $315 on my new RD505.

4. This one makes several of the American made P basses I've had sound rather........ puny :meh: The neck and frets are PURE purrrfection as well. An amazing bass for a total of about 350 bucks :bassist:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. This one is a sonic friggin MONSTER. The '80's 18V preamp provides some intersting options along with the dual P pups :D This one is in the process of being refinished. No more ugly turd brown and black pickguard :cool: The neck on this one is also fantastic. I love the '80s Electras!! :hyper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    2Ibanezes02a.

$250 for the ATK 300, $200 for the SR 800.

7. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Dude....your basses are backwards!:D
    I know I'm not the first one to say that, but I couldn't resist.;)

8. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    i'll have to get pics of my two alvarez basses up here, a '92 dana offset bass (200 bucks) and a villain 5 string (about 250 bucks)...i got the villain new about 15 years ago, and i got the dana used on ebay...they're both pretty playable and don't sound bad at all :D

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    IMG_1121.

Okay, it wasn't "cheap" but, it was an absolute steal for what I paid for it. Hands down the most awesome jazz style bass I have played! Its also the cheapest bass in my possession at the moment (because its the only one in my possession ;) )

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    [​IMG]

My Squier VM fretless...I absolutely love it!

11. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida

That's the problem with you righties; no freaking self-control.

:D

12. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Man, i'd love to get my hands on a sr800 or older atk:) I have a sr400 that was converted to fretless the neck on that ax is to die for:hyper:

13. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    Bring on some more cheapoes :) Expensive basses are great and all, but there is just something about a good old cheap beater bass that has mojo. Makes you wonder huh? My other cheapoes are 1997 Ibanez SR400 $400 new (now fretless) w/black nylon strings. 2003 Ibanez SR406 (tuned EADGCF) $400 bucks new, it now has a Agular preamp and hipshot bridge for wider spaceing:) The 406 has a great slap tone :):)

14. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    great lookin ax there: How does it sound/play?

15. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    that squier you got up there looks pretty hot, too...

16. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I'll play

'80 T-40 with darkstars. The bass was quite cheap, before the Darkstars... The definition of tone monster!

DSCF0008b.

'84 Peavey Fury. Great P-bass tone from a really neat pickup. Cost: 50 bucks and and some TLC. Great "from the ashes" story.

DSCF0004.

'79 t-40 Was mint in case (had pickgard labels on it still) when I got it in '03 for $250, unfortunately it now has a few minor dings. Man I love this bass.

DSCF0007-1.

My only picture containing my late 60's crown violabass. Quite beat-up, fairly fragile, and not worth much, but great tone, and what a look!
    DSCF0012-1.
    The MIJ squier bullet in the pic was a great cheapo bass, that now resides with another TBer. I had to pay for the darkstars somehow...

17. My cheapy Aria with DiMarzios and upped electronics:
    DSC00441.

My ATK400 was a steal aswell (the guy was selling it as an ATK100, which was a much cheaper model )
    atk.

18. The T-40 is the ultimate cheapo bass, IMHO. Consider what it would it would cost to get the same sound and playability from a modern bass:smug:

I treated mine to a new pickguard. The pickguard represents one third of the cost of the bass :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    :hyper: :D :hyper: :D

20. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Late '80's Fender MIM P Bass. $225 on eBay. Sounds almost as good as my 1974 P. It was perfectly mint until I forgot that wearing a studded belt on a gig was a bad idea.:mad:
    pbass.
    pbass2.