Show some courtesy

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Paulabass, May 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I went to a small Art Fair on Sunday. My good friend's duo was playing the middle of a bill of all afternoon entertainment. Pretty low key, so no stage manager, etc. Just a FOH guy who was bored for the most part.
    The acts (with the exception of my friend, who has multiple platinum and gold records) had absolutely no respect for those coming on, or leaving the stage.
    The duo before my friend, left all their gear on stage, and went to sell merch. My friend got a little annoyed because there was a scheduled 10 minute changeover. Another act's drummer packed his kit from the riser. Acts left their gear all over the place, walked across the stage during other acts.
    A lot of us have played, or are playing, shows without stagehands. If you need to clear your own gear, assume you have ten minutes to get your gear off, the next acts gear on, and somebody to move all the drum mics.
    Surprisingly, that does not allow enough time to have a beer before tearing down, nor chatting with the fans.
    Move gear first- Pick up girls afterward.
    Etiquette- After the last drum beat, say thankyou/goodnight . All of you, leave the stage for 15 seconds. This lets the audience know it's over. Come back, and get the drums off the stage(all of you). If the FOH person had not gotten the mics off yet, unclip them and put them in a logical place near where they will go on the next drum kit. Get your own gear off stage, and THEN pack it.
    On our way up the musical ladder (and sometimes on the way back down) there will be times there is no one to tell you what to do, or giving directions. These are the times the pros will shine thru. A lot of it is common sense. Think about your set up and teardown, and MORE IMPORTANTLY, how you are leaving the stage for the next act.
    P.S.- Last thing before you go- pick up your beer/water bottles!!!!!!!

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  2. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    Being the singer, I usually pickup the setlists, my vocal fx stompbox and run for the merch table (cold beer in hand).

If necessary, I'll help bandmates with their stuff, but we agreed some time ago that selling merch and greeting fans just after the show puts my habilities into better use.

3. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    ^^ That's great, you have a system. It's clueless folks who have never even thought about a system that are the problem.

4. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I would think details such as these could be included and discussed, pre-gig... a pre-brief, if you will...

... no different than any other choreographed event, if you want it to go smoothly.

Duder, jamro217, Inky13 and 3 others like this.
  5. Chango Malo

Chango Malo

Apr 8, 2017
    have some sympathy, have some taste.

Every situation is a little different. But if someone is coming on right after you, get the hell off the stage. Don't pack your stuff up on stage and leave all your cases on stage while you do. There is nothing more annoying than a band who has no idea how to clear a stage. "thanks, goodnight, come see us again" blah blah blah. No mention that there are more bands coming up soon, just stand around at the front of the stage hoping cute chicks will come up and chat you up while the other half of the band wanders off to the bar and the table full of crappy merch and garage recorded CD's. Get your crap off stage, son! I can see casing guitars/bass on stage and moving them right off, but MOVE THE GEAR OFF THE STAGE. A ten minute changeover is ridiculous, but it sure ain't gonna happen with someone standing around with their thumb up their butt.

6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

noobs = clueless
    wannabes = clueless
    posers = clueless

(also: many drummers, guitarists :D )

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Agreed - common sense, and what you would want the prior band to do for you. Get [email protected]&($ off the stage asap, then do what you want. Once you are off the stage, stay off.

It's sad when you have to spell out common courtesy.

8. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    I might add, incoming acts can create havoc by starting to stack gear on stage before the outgoing act is gone. It's kind of like when an elevator stops at a floor - you let people get out before you start cramming people in!

Bands hurt themselves as well by stacking cases, etc. right where some equipment needs to be placed.

9. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    I would never dare walk on stage during someone else's set unless it was to prevent an imminent disaster. Also during a tear down or transition, my ass kicks it into high gear to pack up my stuff. I am literally wrapping up chords after the audience finishes their applause, usually the only one in the band to do so.

Spectrum, JimiLL, gungrog and 4 others like this.
  10. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    That's a damned shame...

The majority of bands I've been in over the years have been punk, skate punk, metal, thrash, etc.. and every single one of those bands has always followed a few simple rules for gigs.

1. Show up on time.
    2. Be nice to everyone no matter what the band sounds like
    3. Pack your gear up immediately when finished, or at least get it out of the other bands way

It bothers me so much that adults need to be reminded of common sense rules like this, which can and should apply to every band of every music genre.

gungrog, mikewalker and Jimmy4string like this.
  11. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I'm not so courteous. With my band - we pack and git. If someone had left their gear on the stage and bailed, I'd tend to go to the mic - "Please remove your gear from the stage or it will be pushed off the back".

cerrem, covermego, Spidey2112 and 5 others like this.
  12. Glad someone mentioned this, every group needs to adhere to this.

jamro217 and GBBSbassist like this.
  13. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    I've played with a drummer who had his drums set up just off the side of the stage during the last few minutes of a band's performance, and he thought that would be a good time to start practicing his own drum parts. It was confusing for the band playing and it was extremely rude. He was very difficult to get along with in general, so this was a good reason to part ways with him.

I've also played with a bass player who immediately after finishing the set, would just set his instrument down on its back directly in the middle of the stage, and then go and grab a beer at the bar, and not just bring it back. He just wouldn't come back unless someone bitched at him. That also didn't last long.

The way I see it is that people get removed from bands for two reasons. They either can't play, or they're someone you don't want to be around. I can only control the playing to a degree, I'm certainly not one of the greats, and I never will be. I can most definitely make sure I'm polite and easygoing.

14. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I'm in a different boat that most of you. Church gigs = 1 "act", so courtesy to other musicians is literally not an issue. But I do get my stuff off stage quick - I used to do production, and was amazed at guitarists that'd leave a nice expensive axe on stage, without any clue that there was a lot of stage gear scenery, staging, etc. that was going to be moved, and although we were careful, you just don't know what might happen, who might trip and land on your guitar, etc.....

mikewalker, dan1952 and Cheez like this.
  15. Enjoy my sad, and somewhat funny (and totally TRUE Band War Story)-

Many years ago, the band I was in was playing an "outdoor festival" where there were 6 bands (the "outdoor" part was just a big field of a farm owned by the guy putting on the show) . We were the 5th to get up on stage that evening. We had talked with the 6th band (at the time, the most popular, soon to be signed) about how we would turn over things (our "clear out" for them). They were all good about it- so much so that when that part of the night arrived, they helped us tear down and we helped them set up.

Unfortunately, the other 4 bands didn't "get the memo" on set up and tear down (from us, band 6 or the venue owner), leaving crap and gear all over the stage. By the time we got ready to load in and set up, there was 4 bands worth of crap on the stage.

My drummer (all 6'5" and 240lbs of him), seeing the accumulation of crap/gear on stage had enough of this by the time band 4's set was supposed to be ending. He vanished for what seemed like a lifetime, cursing up a storm about the previous bands' lack of professionalism and downright rudeness- He was gone long enough for band 4 to actually end their set and walk off the stage- with NONE of their gear and crap moved (some 15 minutes later). The show had already gotten way off schedule (first 4 bands didn't even bother to adhere to the 45-50 minute rule and 15-20 minute load in/out requests of the venue owner). Things were about an hour or so already off schedule.

Drummer shows back up 5 minutes later, just before we were ready to get our amps onto the stage. He had an enormous metal snow shovel (the blade was at least 2 feet wide) and began just plowing through the crap and lighter gear like he was clearing a driveway! THAT made every band before us take notice that their stuff was about to become electronic slush at the hands of our drummer/Zamboni!

Needless to say, many words were exchanged between our drummer and 4 other bands before we went on. We (and band 6) both had great laughs as well as great sets that evening!

We got to open for them later on (and they for us) playing in each bands' respective towns.

16. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Sad this even has to be stated. But those who need to heed it, won't.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  17. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    We don't even wait 15 seconds. "Thank you!" and then turn around and start taking care of business. Our actions make it clear we're not doing any encores. FWIW, our BL has been known to talk event organizers into having two stages: One playing, one in transition from the previous act to the one following us. Works well at outdoor gigs. Otherwise, we get ourselves and our stuff offstage as quickly as possible.

18. Bassngtr

Bassngtr

Jul 21, 2007
    Methuen, MA
    Who are these "girls" you refer too? Do they like bass players? :D

I kept a low-end drum kit at our bass player's house for rehearsals (I play drums in that band), and said it could be used by others anytime. His daughter's band did a show at a big graduation cookout (at his house) and their drummer used my kit - no problemo. What ticked me off was that the drummer adjusted every possible thing on the kit, never said a word to me (even though I introduced myself and said I hope the kit's OK) and made absolutely no effort to re-adjust or set up anything when the kit was put away. Not a huge deal, but geez...it ticked me off. I didn't go to Berklee like he did but I have the decency to thank someone and try my best to put things back the way they were. Maybe I am just getting crabby in my old age...

19. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Just finished 3 in a row gigs a Taste of Cincy with many acts on multiple stages. After each show we tipped the sound man because he did a great job and was always available. He also made sure to tell us when he was temporarily leaving to make sure we were good with it.

Well damned if i didn't leave behind a brand new wheeled cart that I customized to fit my requirements specifically for these shows. I called the sound company and they said the sound man knew it was mine and placed in his car so it could be returned to me. Dinner will be on me when I pick it up. A small investment can pay big dividends.

We treat our fellow musicians with the same respect. When our time slot is done you can still hear the last notes from our performance wafting thru the rafters as our tail lights disappear down the road.

20. Chango Malo

Chango Malo

Apr 8, 2017
    Maybe you're getting crabby in your old age, but I wouldn't have used the gear without making personal contact beforehand and hearing from your own mouth that it's cool to use the kit. Along with a followup convo to the effect of "thanks for letting me use your gear, I put things back where I though you had 'em best as I could. Hope it's close. Thanks again".
    Guess I'm getting old and crabby too, I'd be a bit cheesed in your shoes.

basted and Bassngtr like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021