Show some courtesy

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Paulabass, May 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    This kind of stuff burns my cork. And it's not just on stage. The world seems to filled with people who are so totally self-absorbed they never spend a second thinking about others.

Bassngtr, JimiLL and mikewalker like this.
  2. Any festival type dealio 'should' have a stageboss to run everything stage. I do not feel the fronts slidermunky has any responsibility to clear a stage, not his jop, mang... Floors slidermunky can start moving mics and say 'we have x minutes, strike and clear your gear from the stage now, please...but that's about it.... Not his job neefer...

Hard to imagine a festival without a stageboss and stagemunkys...
    A somewhat local region fest had one band stupidly dick up the entire schedule to the extreme. Started PAST their block end. I guess stageboss didn't understand his job... Contract evidently wasn't spelled out with what happens if you deviate from the schedule. They would not have played and would not have been paid a dime nor ever be considered in the future, were it me wearing the Hat....

mikewalker likes this.
  3. Jolagh

Jolagh

Nov 29, 2012
    Weve been complimented by basically everyone weve played with as my band has always assumed 15 minute or less changeover before and after a set. So we load in and load out as quickly as possible. No one is ever waiting on us. We always help the band before and after us load in and out as well if they want us to. As soon as the house music comes on we switch from musicians to moving men. It can be really frustrating when other bands dont take it as seriously.

mikewalker and edro like this.
  4. Things MUST be spelled out in the contracts. One can never 'assume' anything.
    The Stupid is an amazing thing when it rears its head. Murphy is a lightweight compared to The Stupid.

mikewalker likes this.
  5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    in multi band situations, i’m ready with whatever. If it’s backlined my bass is tuned, cord coiled on top loop of stand, etc. if amp swap is required i’m as close as possible with stack built wired and ready to move into position as soon as shingle is cleared. Move out is the same, case bass, pull all cables, covers on cases and clear shingle as soon as a lane opens. All my cables live in the cases with the amps/cabs they connect to so it’s no more than a few minutes from stacked to making noise or power off to ready to load out. I like to let things cool if i can but if i can’t i roll with it.
    I’ve always been one to want to get on and get off quickly. I can BS after the work is done, but i hate lounging when there is work pending, just get it done.

JimiLL and mikewalker like this.
  6. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

Wow, unusual behavior to say the least.

At all the multi-band stages and billings in my neighborhood, you wouldn't get away with that for a second. You'd have the next band up, sound engineer, stage crew, and venue management barking at you hard.

7. Yeah in that scene everyone is so used to playing bills with lots of bands, its no surprise that they have it together.

Lots of other bands think they are the rolling stones playing a three hour show and have all the time in the world.

Being quick on and off stage, on the ball for a quick soundcheck and courteous all the way makes a great impression.

mikewalker likes this.
  8. Being prompt and quick can go a long way in you being back too...

Dick up the works and you can pretty well bet you won't be back....and probably not ever play for any of those folks that are always in an audience that will one day hire a band for some event...which you just dicked up having a shot... EVERY gig is usually an audition that will be filed away for future reference by someone out there that ain't your usual popcorm muncher.......

mikewalker likes this.
  9. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    Actually, a bored sound guy is what you want. When everything is set well, balanced, and running well, he gets bored. When he gets hopping and busy, something is definitely wrong.

But, I agree with you concerning a little class.

mikewalker likes this.
  10. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Yes mum....Sorry....:sorry:

11. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Use all your well earned politesse...
    Or I'll lay your soul to waste.....

12. Kun2112

Kun2112

Nov 2, 2013
    Played with a few groups where the guitarist brings 4+ guitars to a 40 minute set, and the drummer brings an eight or nine-piece kit. When I have my bass, head, cabs, pedal board, and everything else off ctage before the guitarist even has all the cases onstage, I get would get cranky.

JRA likes this.
  13. Went to a fest once and in one of the earlier clock eater bands, the guitarist changed guitars every single song....and did not use any on more than one tune...
    I was kinda dumbfounded... I guess he really impressed uhhhh himself... Nobody else was impressed...

14. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    Because we all love music we want to think the people who make music are all awesome humans but it just ain't so. No genre, gender, age, level of talent or success, or the type of instrument played gets an exemption from the occasional, or group of, true jackasses. People so oblivious of others that they give no thought to the rights of others or common courtesy.

So, what do us good guys do? Continue being a good guy, live right, do right, play bass and, when exposed to the behavior that's the subject of this thread , take no carp regardless of the perpetrators. Sadly decorum and the laws of our society don't allow what these types need, a public paddling and off to bed with no beer.

redwingxix, JRA and mikewalker like this.
  15. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    wait - there are "Others"?? :)

JRA, BurtMacklinFBI and gln1955 like this.
  16. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Gear left on stage means it's being left as tribute for the following band, I thought?

17. Sounds like amateur hour to me.
    One of the reasons my band gets so many shows opening for nationals is because we have a good reputation of not only staying on schedule and getting our gear off fast but also even helping other bands change over. The type of laziness you witnessed is one of the things that causes even some really good original bands to never get on any good shows. I bet if they were too lazy to get their gear off in a timely manner they were too lazy to promote the show also. I’ve seen bands get super jealous of my band even to the point of publicly hating on my band because of quality of the shows we get. They think it’s venues or promoters playing favorites and don’t realize that it’s really little things like this. Showing up on time and turning over the stage quickly so the show can stay on schedule. As for running up onstage during someone else’s set, ive done that a couple times over the years, but it’s always been to help the band that’s currently playing by picking up a microphone that got bumped out of position or knocked over in front of a Guitar amp or something. Never to get our gear. That lack of professionalism will cause even great musicians to not be able to book shows at all at good venues or with bigger bands. The only exception where you can leave gear on the stage is if you’re playing last and even then you need to be decent about it. The sound guy is not gonna want to stay there all night while you drink beer, talk to fans or whatever you may be doing. They want to get their cables and mics put up so they can go home.

18. bass71

bass71

Nov 18, 2007
    ct
    Haven't read the whole thread but...who's the "friend" with the gold discs.....would love to know..

19. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

images2b2.png
    valuable reminder/info for those pursuing status in the competitive/difficult originals game. i appreciate your perspective as you are obviously doing something right (besides your great music!). :thumbsup:

Nephilymbass likes this.
  20. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I don't get it. I play in a 4 piece band with a PA that handles three vocals and sax primarily, but for some gigs were nice drums, DI some bass, and mics a little guitar amp. We can have everything packed and ready to haul out to the car in under 30 minutes. If all you have to do is remove instruments and amps off the back/side of the stage, that should be done in 2-3 minutes, tops.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021