1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Show the clip of the moment you became aware of bass playing.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Blazer, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    I was eight years old when the song "dance hall days" by Wang Chung was a hit and being the kid I was, I was totally enthralled by that song and its "Wizard of Oz" music video.

Now 1984 also was the year that the annual Pinkpop festival decided to have a look at the singles charts and booked bands who were big but very interesting in those days.
    [​IMG]

So when watching the thing on TV, I was delighted to see Wang Chung there, now as they started playing their big hit "Dance hall days" I noticed two things.
    1. No saxophone
    2. The left handed player switched instruments and all of a sudden had a very different sound.

That's when my cousin told me "He's playing a bass guitar." which was the first time I heard of such a thing.

Ellery, BrentSimons and Schmo_bass like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I've posted it before and I'll post it again. This is what woke me up:

Very soon followed by:

I woke up to a double shot of Jack'n'Jack! :D

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  3. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    Retired
    No clip, but Gene Simmons...KISS Alive II. Got that album on my 10th birthday. Detroit Rock City rocked my ten year old world.

[​IMG]

Rugmaster, japhy4529, BobKos and 5 others like this.
  4. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    To my kid brain, this song was so ominous and spooky sounding. And I thought 2 things.
    1. His dad was a member of The Rolling Stones. And
    2. When he died, all he left them was "A LOAN"

volker, egarcia, getrhythm and 8 others like this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Somewhere between here.....

....and here.....

When asked "Who taught you how to play bass?" I always answer "James Jamerson and John Paul Jones".

6. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

I can't remember the very first one, but this stood out for sure:

7. BossOnBass

BossOnBass

Aug 11, 2012
    Houston, TX
    It happened at a very young age for me. Moreover, I was pleasantly surprised as an adult to find out that this is an actual jazz song and is in the real book.

volker, Morrighan, japhy4529 and 7 others like this.
  8. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    No clip but it was Wait On Time, by The Fabulous Thunderbirds, featuring the late great Keith Ferguson.
    ECDC175E-0B3E-454C-B783-A9E7167DA7CF.jpeg

getrhythm, rollie 55 and DirtDog like this.
  9. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016

... and no, I am not Selma Hayek.

10. This one :D

jackn1202 and The13thFret like this.
  11. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    Did anyone else notice how Dio sticks out like a sore thumb in that lineup?

I honestly can't remember when I became aware of the bass, as I've always seemed to remember being aware of it.

12. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland

Jamming out this tune, on college break back in LA, long solos, most imitating Carlos and Rollie. I had ample opportunity to carry the groove during solos, began to play with the rhythm following soloist, went off a bit, felt so good. I was hooked, right then and there.

13. I remember buying the Live After Death VHS tape from a Sam Goody I'd later work at one day. I had been to the doctor and had stopped by the mall for some reason with my stepfather and I ended up snagging it because I had bought Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son on cassette and wanted to know more about them and figured that a live video would be just that.

Wow. Steve Harris has a robotic right hand. He must. No, really. He's a freakin' android.

bassrique, Jokei, osv and 1 other person like this.
  14. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia

bassrique and jackn1202 like this.
  15. Hover-Rich

Hover-Rich Commercial User

Jan 21, 2018
    Craig, Colorado
    Hover Harness, LLC
    There is certainly no "clip" of it, but there was a rock band playing in the basement of my church, of all places. I was probably 13 or so. Hearing it live rather than through radio speakers, I could feel the bass thump me in the chest. That was the first chapter of a long story of loving how bass is a "whole body" experience, not just an ear thing.

trailer likes this.
  16. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY

bassrique and rollie 55 like this.
  17. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Probably something like this. It was a long time ago.

18. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    Another "no clip" moment for me. First time I noticed was when the bass player at my church showed up with a brand new Steinberger headless bass (mid 90s here). I was already a low-end fanatic from playing tuba and that bass had me interested. The family was pretty strapped then so no chance to play at that time. I was a youngest child so not much chance to listen to "my" music on the radio/tape player so not really any exposure to bass playing other than in church.

Fast forward a few years and the bass player in the university pep band had the place grooving and I loved bass even more. It took another decade until I had enough money to get started but not the time. Got a bass and it sat in the corner. Another 7-8 years later and I was asked to play bass with a local folk band and the rest is history. Maybe in another 20 years I'll actually be good...:p

19. I gigged for years as a guitarist. But when I heard this, I wanted to play bass for the first time:

I was driving home from my Dad’s summer place in the Poconos with my wife and infant daughter in the car, and I heard it “on the skip” from CKLW in Windsor, Ontario. Anthony Jackson’s bass line knocked me flat.

44 years later, here I am.

getrhythm and pbass74 like this.