Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Show Tips

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Garfunkle, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Garfunkle

Garfunkle

Apr 7, 2002
    Can anyone tell me how many amp watts I should use to play a show with about 50-200 people?

2. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well im pretty sure it depends on the size of the venue, indoors or outdoors and roughly how big the place is.
    later
    Lukas

3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Uh, let's try amps.........

Chris A.:rolleyes:

4. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

all you should need is a amp to cover the drums, and the rest should be the sound system,even with out a good sound system the drums set the level that you should play,

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Right, try to get your own monitor wedge too.

6. It does depend on a few things:

- whether stage sound is the whole FOH, or if there is a PA (and whether the PA is vocals-only)
    - how many people in the band, and their monitoring requirements
    - size of the venue (regardless of the number of people)

IME, playing with 4 others in a loud rock setting, with full PA support (ie using my rig as a monitor), I need 300-400w. I've gotten away with 100w tube before (only just). Without PA support, the more watts the better.

At any rate, i'd suggest at least 200w.

7. leper

leper

Jun 21, 2001
    it also depends on how the pa is...alot of places have just enough pa to handle guitars/ vocals/ drums and prefer to have you push all of your bass out of your rig. If this is the case then youre gonna need a beast of an amp.