Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Show Ur Rack!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Coleman, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Coleman

Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    i have little knowledge for rack effect(include tuner, power amp.....)
    please post pic and tell me what function for rack?

2. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I use a 4 space SKB Rack, it holds everyting in place while transporting, It has front & rear covers that latch on, and there is plenty of room inside for cables.I have a Furman power module
    on top that eveything plugs into, so I only have
    one power connection, It also has lights in it that pull out & dim in case the stage is dark and I wanna Tweak the pre-amp, or set the output level.The next row down is Nady
    Wireless 101 & 201 recievers.
    I have two units so I can switch Basses. And always have a back-up in place.
    The next 2 spaces are taken up by my Processer
    ART Nightbass unit, all my Pre-set patches are in there,plus a tuner. My signal to the snake comes from here also. The whole purpose of the "Rack"
    is ease of use and portability, the faster I set up & tear down, the more time I have to chase skirt, or get stalked....whatever works.:)
    [​IMG]

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Do a search.

4. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    [​IMG]

4 space SKB roto rack

Gemini pl 100 power conditioner

Peavey Rockmaster tube preamp (used for distortion)

Tech21 RBI

Soundtech PL200 poweramp

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Tuner helps me tune, preamp has tone knobs and boosts signal, compressor evens out my signal, power amp makes it go loud.

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Power conditioner supplies juice to all units, BBE adds lows and shimmer, crossover divides signal at 150 hz, DI box sends signal to the board.

7. this is just asking for a dirty joke...
    for example...

i know someone out there has a nice rack and a big muff.

sorry.

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What, you wanna see my hairy man-boobs?

9. No.. No we don't... :eek:

10. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Hey Tecx, how does your Peavey Rockmaster tube preamp sound?

11. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Okay, here's mine. It's not the current version, but the only differences from this pic from January and my current rig is the Ashly SC-40 preamp has been replaced with a Roland SIP preamp, the DOD 31 band EQ in the low end has been taken out, and I'm currently replacing the Roland GP-16 with a Bass POD Pro I just bought, and I'm replacing the Alesis RA 100 with a QSC MX1000a power amp for more headroom.

[​IMG]

Okay, I run my basses in stereo (which really should be called "dual mono").. ie: each of the two pickups has it's own output, which I run through seperate rigs. That way I can run some effects like overdrive, chorus, synth, etc., on the bridge pickup while the neck pickup stays un-effected for a solid fundamental regardless of what I do on the bridge pickup.

High end signal processing (bridge pickup)
    - ACM Audio RT-1PC digital chromatic tuner & power distribution
    - Roland SPH-323 Phase Shifter. Why? This old analog phase shifter sounds SO GOOD!
    - Roland GP-16 Preamp / multi effects processor with Roland FC100 midi foot control panel. Easy to program, great effects, nice footboard. However, it is a guitar processor and I've not been happy with the mid-lows and lows response, hence I'm trying out a Bass POD Pro in it's place.
    - BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer - for presence, and smooth low end
    - Ashley 3630 stereo compressor / gate - using for compression
    - Alesis RA-100 power amp
    - 2 Custom built (by me) speaker cabinets, one 4x10 and one 1x15

Low end signal processing (neck pickup)
    - Art SP4x4 metered power distribution
    - Ashly SC-40 preamp - replaced with Roland SIP, basic sound and EQ settings
    - BBE 862 Sonic Maximizer - again, smooth low end and extra low end WHUMP
    - DOD R-831B 31 band graphic EQ - removed, no longer in Rack, was EQ overkill
    - DOD R-825 compressor / limiter - smooth out the response, protect my 18"s
    - AB Precedent Series 900A power amp - 350 a side a 8 ohms, each side drives a single 18" cabinet.
    - 1 - SWR Big Ben 18" cabinet, & 1 duplicate cabinet I built and loaded with a JBL 2240 18" speaker

I am a die hard gear groupie!

:^)~

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    ART SP 4X4 Metered Power Distribution - Basically an expensive rackmount power strip with lights.

Korg Toneworks DTR-2 Digital Tuner - Can tune A anywhere from 438-445!

Gallien-Krueger 400RB-III - What good is the rack without the amp?

13. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I just love posting pics of my rack!

[​IMG]

Top to bottom:
    Furman PL-8
    Trace Elliot GP12SMX preamp
    Roland RSP-550 multi effects
    ADA MP-1 preamp
    P****y MidiPro
    QSC PLX3002 Power amp.

The Roland is for chorus, flange, phaser and verb.
    The MP-1 is for overdrive and distortion. Although it is a guitar preamp, it works great for bass. By tweaking the EQ I can get chest thumpin' bottom end out of it.
    The MidiPro uses relays to switch the MP-1 in and out of the series effects loop on the Trace. When its bypassed there is nothing in the signal path but bass, pre, power, cabs. The Roland has hardwire bypass and is returned in stereo in the parallel effects loop of the Trace.

Of course, the beauty is that its all MIDI controlled. No chain of pedals mucking up my tone!

14. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Here's the foot controller.

[​IMG]