Show us how your bass sounds

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JWS, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Some of you sent recently some soundexamples of his Bass. So I got the idear to ask you, to show us how your bass sounds.

Record it with your computer or in studio.

Upload it to a free webspace or maybe your own aol-webspace, for example.

Show us a pic of your Bass and tell come facts about it.

If you used some preamp, tell us which you used and about the settings.

and manny manny more things ..........if you like..

I know that´s a lot more work as upload a pic, but i think manny of you will be very interested in some soundexamples of basses and preamps.......
  2. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX

my conklin gt-4 equpped with bartolini m4's and an ntmb pre amp hooked up very badly to my computer haha
  3. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Hanewinckel 6-string with Bartolini soapbars and Shadow/ABM piezo bridge, NTMB preamp. Plugged straight into the soundcard.

First: C-major scale (edit: uh, ignore those F#s on the E string. . . :) ) from low B to F on the C-string. Five pickup selections: bridge, neck, both full humbucking, "P" + "neck-wards J", "reverse-P" + "bridge-wards J". Tone controls flat.

Next: Slap (at which I'm not so good, bear with). This demonstrates the difference between the last two pickup settings (P+J, rev-P+other-J) better. The former sounds like a classic "PJ" sound (kinda Wooten-ish), the latter much more like a J-bass with both pickups on. Also, at the end of this one, is full-on piezo pickup. Watch out. Tone controls flat.

Next, a little riff w/ the P+J pickup setting, the treble boosted a bit. Moving my right hand around a bit and digging in harder/softer to get a variety of tones.

Finally, a little wanky tapping thing. If I remember, this is the bridge pickup solo (?not sure about that) blended with the piezo pickup. With the mids (at 250Hz) boosted a bit.
  4. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    geshel, damn your bass has great tone.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I'd like to upload some clips, but don't know where to put them. They're just little samples so yyou can hear my tone, so I don't think they belong at the Talkbass Station at Where can I find this "free web space"?

Emphasis on "free". :D
  6. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Thanks. Doesn't it though? :)

Now if only I could play it. . .
  7. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

Clip 1
    Clip 2
    Clip 3

the only control differences are me mucking with setting on my interstellar overdrive. clip 1 is how i normally like it (50/50 blend, drive up till right before clipping, aural enhancer at 50%), clip 2 is the direct channel totally flat and clip 3 is the tube channel totally flat.

8. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Prague77 - I really like what your playing in that clip your, tone sounds good too. I let it repeat in my winamp for 5 minutes or so.

Geshel - Your B sounds SOOOOO good! That really stuck out, not stuck out in the over all mix, but just the fantastic tone it got.

WHY LUIS, WHY?!?! It pains me to hear the sweet sounds of a 55-02 and not be able to afford one. Damn you my friend, damn you...

Same goes for you W5S...I love the sounds of Warwicks. Ive wanted one since the first time I played one!
  9. Here are some recording I made of my Roscoe 6 string after seeing this thread. It has a Spanish cedar body, exibition quilt top, and bart pickups and NTMB preamp. I added an active/passive volume pot as well. It was recorded directly into my PC. The levels were low during and after boosing the volume the background noise of the sound card was amplified quite a bit too. Anyway, here are the clips.

My best P-bass imitation

This is the neck pickup with the bass in passive mode

Slap sample

In this clip the bass is active with the EQ set flat and the pickups blended equally.

My best Jaco impersonation

This is the bridge pickup with the bass in passive mode.

These are hosted off my DSL at home so the connection may be a little slow, though the clips are pretty small.

10. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Yeah, not bad, though the tone needs more bass, but otherwise great. Is that Maiden Prague?
  11. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    J-Bass (Right click, save as)

This is a clip of my MIM Fretless Jazz w/Bartolini's. I ran the bass through my Zoom BFX-708 straight to my sound card with no eq or effects. The only reason I used the Zoom was to raise the level going into the sound card. (Passive Barts with no preamp=very little output.) All the controls were dimed. If anyone cares, I'll throw up a sample with the bridge pickup soloed, which is a pretty cool sound.

Edit: Oh yeah, I apologize in advance for my intonation. :D
  12. Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    MontyP: No thats me hehe :p
    yeah the bass was down a bit..
  13. frankosaurus

Feb 27, 2002
    San Jose
    Go to, create a yahoo login, make a group with public access and upload your files to the file section.

you won't be able to direct link though-- people will have to log in with a yahoo id and join the club to get your files.

14. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Really? Cause I can right click it and it works just fine. (I figured out the Yahoo! thing shortly after posting- go download my clip!)

Let me know if it works, guys.
  15. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    This is a bit from a live recording from a few months ago of a tune I wrote for my solo shows. Harmonically, it's pretty open for soloing, but the opening figure is really cool. You hear that and part of my solo.

The bass is one of my two MIM Fretless Jazzes run through a Sadowsky Preamp into an SWR Workingman's 12. The audio you hear was from a mic into my four track. The only difference between this recording and my sound now is that I now use a touch of chorusing as part of my tone from a Boss Digital Dimension pedal.

Bryan White - "Kid Colombia"
  16. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Damn, EVERYBODY'S bass sounds good so far. (Is there such a thing as a bad bass tone?)

Geshel, yours is my favorite though. Sweeeet.
  17. No offense...but i find most people's tones a little too sterile for my liking...except for Chris' tone (wow...crazy) and Superduck's fretless (yum)....

i will soon post my bass's sound