1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Show us your 35" scale Fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris 'Wighat' Jordan, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Yeah, I know....I'm asking for a unicorn sighting. What I'd really be interested to see is an authentic all-Fender Custom Shop 35" scale bass. I'd still be interested in seeing an aftermarket neck on a factory body with a repositioned bridge.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I really thought you were going to kick this off...

Does such a thing actually exist?

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    proof-of-bigfoot-thumb.

4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Honestly, I ended up with a nice 3tsb/rosewood Lakland Skyline 55-60 passive 5-string Jazz. They pop-up used on TB classified now and then. Well under $800. They used to be called the Joe Osborn signature model. Check here for 55-60 info: Welcome to Lakland

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  5. I think it might be an improvement. I'd estimate that it would only be custom shop, if they'd even do it.

6. We all know there is officially no such thing. I'm hoping there is a Custom Shop one out there.

I'm dedicated to 35" scale 5-strings with 19mm string spacing and would like to have a Fender just for kicks but probably not to the tune of $8,000.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  7. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

Mar 13, 2013
    Upstate NY
    Go get a Roscoe with the Aguilar pickups.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I have seen a baritone Strat before so it doesn't seem too far fetched. I don't know if it would really make that much of a difference but I really would be curious to try one.

Geri O likes this.
  9. I surely thought this thread would have at least received a pic or two of a modded bass. Really, no one has put a 35" scale neck (Moses, Warmoth, USACG) on a Fender body?

Again, a call as well for the Great White Buffalo: a Fender Custom Shop 35" scale 5-string bass.....

10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    It would be a Masterbuilt instrument. Honestly, Fender is one of the few luthiers building a 34" 5er with 17.5MM spacing........perfect IMHO.

11. Yes, Masterbuilt ... a distinction worth making.

I've been playing 19mm string spacing and 35" scale for so long anything else is uncomfortable for me. I'm sure I could eventually get used to something else, but I'm not switching now; I'm an old dog.

12. DevinWard369

DevinWard369

Apr 30, 2012
    Utah
    Ksd proto-j. 35" fender looking.

TonyP- likes this.
  13. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
  14. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Not a Fender BUT the answer is easy.

Mike Lull

Mike Lull offers 35" in fender-like designs (P J and what not)

15. DiabolusInMusic

16. LOL, it would have been cool to snag that 6 string. Something about owning the most non-Fender Fender would make folks angry.

Gougedeye likes this.
  17. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I agree! First time I saw that thing, I was like...What the hell? But, Tye sure played the crap out of that thing! I think I read Fender initially valued it at $25,000. Then I think I saw it on e-bay for $7999.00. Don't know if it ever sold. Maybe modeled after his Parr bass?

18. For the record, I am certainly aware of the various makers of 35" scale Fenderesque basses. Still haven't seen a proper Fender in 35" scale.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  19. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    DSCN0369.

TonyP- likes this.
  20. DiabolusInMusic

I actually remember Tye showing it off in the old Fender catalogs, I used to get a copy each year from my dealer. It always fascinated me as a new player. Not only was it a 6-string, far less common ten+ years ago than now, but it looked nothing like a Fender.

Fender was actually intending to move the Zamora into a Standard production line, that means MIM for all you non-fanboys. It would have have no scoop and a bolt-on neck, probably lower grade guts and parts too. As far as I know Tye kept his original, I hope he did at least, and sold the fretless version of the Standard prototypes... yes, Fender thought about an affordable 6-string fretless that looks nothing like a Fender. Doesn't that boggle the mind? I do not think the Standard fretted prototype ever went up for sale but I could be wrong. Those are the only three editions of the bass known to exist.