1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Show us your diy/custom amplificaters...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stromrider, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Stromrider

Stromrider

Feb 16, 2008
    CT, USA
    I apologize in advance if their already is a thread like this, but i did search and didn't find any. I also apologize in advance for my shoddy looking cabinets...

I just finished this thing today. The head is out of the Ampeg G-100 guitar amp ( :rollno: ), and the drivers came from some Fisher speakers ( :rollno: ). I have been playing a 1x10 version of this since i started playing bass about a year ago, and i thought since i had two of the 10"s i might as well build a new cab to hold me over until i built up a real rig. I just used heavy and cheap 3/4" MDF because its just a junker amp that i don't plan on taking anywhere. The combo has more low end than most cheap 2x10 combos, but the high mids and treble are uhh... smooth.

Picture005.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    If Wishbass made an amp...

DIY preamp (BBBB, documented at my site).

DIY speaker

DIY power amp, based on "Amp1" kit from 41 Hz Audio, capable of putting out around 120 W.

Covers open to show the innards. Note the power amp is just for fun and experimentation, not for gigs. It contains none of the protections required for a commercial quality power amp.

Attached Files:

3. Stromrider

Stromrider

Feb 16, 2008
    CT, USA
    Very cool fdeck. Just looking at your BBBB preamp schematic, and wondering: what does the phase inverter in the preamp do to the sound?

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Just a couple of many examples of my DIY stuff:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DIY Rack Head
    thread.

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I actually designed the BBBB to experiment with mixing multiple upright bass pickups. Phase switching helps combat feedback on the upright bass.

For electric bass, the relative phase between two pickups on the same bass will affect the tone of the mixed signal. This would require not two, but only one phase switch. For pure mixing of more than one electric bass, or single channel use, one could omit the phase switches altogether.

6. Stromrider

Stromrider

Feb 16, 2008
    CT, USA
    Very cool Passinwind.

I'm planning on using that preamp circuit for my new rig. I was planning on just building it on perfboard, but the professinal look of yours is making me consider ordering the pcbs. Rod at ESP should get payment for publishing such good articles and designs anyway.

Good to know that preamp is a proven design for bass. That clip you recorded sounds good; did you ever get around to making another?

7. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    lol, if Wishbass made an amp...

8. ZolkoW

ZolkoW

May 8, 2006
    Hungary, EU