1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Show us your Double / Triple Strung Beauties (8, 10, 12, 15 - Octaves)!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by agreatheight, Apr 18, 2006.

1. Haven't seen too much on TB about double and triple string basses (8, 10, 12 & 15 strings, octave strung, not ERBs)... makes me a little sad. So; those of you who play these bad boys, show us what you got!

Here's my Hamer 8 string:

Web4.

Web2.

Web3.

Web1.

Also, who are your favorite players who use these basses? I'm a big fan of Doug Pinnick, Jeff Ament and Monty Colvin.

2. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    this forum is like ****ing girls gone wild, except with basses.

3. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    Quote of the year :D

4. what are these basses like? and what's your one worth? i saw a one on eBay a while ago, made somewhere in Asia, and it looked rad, although i wasn't sure about the build quality because it wasn't *very* expensive.

5. I remember playing a hammer (im sure) 12 string in a wee music shop a while back, was interesting to play anyways, not my thing tho, each to thier own tho :)

6. I'm not exactly sure what my bass is worth - I bought it for $2400 back in the early 90s so I'd guess probably close to $3000 (it's dead mint). It's got some special features, though, custom order (solid bookmatched flame maple, rather than a veneer over aother wood for the body for one thing) so it's a bit pricey. I think the newer US Hamer 12s go for about $1800 - $2000?, but I'm no expert, and I'm not sure who stocks them. Hamer had some 12s being made in Korea a while back, obvisously they were less expensive. I played on at GC and wasn't impressed, but the set up was awful, virtually unplayable, but I'm gonna say that GC was probably responsible for that, lol. I thought I saw a couple online a few months back for about $500 - they might be old stock or maybe Hamer brought back the import line, I'm not sure. I think I saw them at http://www.12stringbass.net/ on one of their dealer links. Just looked, Hamer brought them back apparently - Musiciansfriend has them as a new item, $630.00! 8 Strings though, to my knowledge are Hamer custom shop only, and I prefer them to a 12.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I had an Ibanez MC980 (doubled 8 string) for a while, but the strings were not spaced close-together enough for my taste, it was hard to play cleanly fingerstyle.

8. I am generally a fingerstyle player on my regular basses, but I play pick on my 8 for all but a couple songs.

9. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    I've posted this before...but what the hey.

Its a Turner 8 string fretless--strung with nylon core Thomastik's. Flamed myrtle with a 35" scale. Sounds completely crazy.

Rick Turner describes it as sounding like a bass oud. I take his word for it.

Attached Files:

10. I found this fretless 12 string online... Amazing...

fretless12_2.

BODY WOOD Mahogany
    NECK WOOD Quarter Sawn Maple
    FINGERGBOARD Birdseye Maple w/epoxy finish
    HEADSTOCK Angled Headstock- custom shape
    PICKUPS Custom humbucking soap bar pickups personally hand wound by Kent Armstrong. Alnico V's for the neck pickup and Ceramics for the bridge pickup.

ELECTRONICS Totally passive electronics
    This bass is equipped for FULL STEREO operation.
    Each pickup is directed to a separate output jack and has an independent volume control and 6 position varitone.
    Mono/stereo mini switch allows you to switch back to mono mode when using one amp.
    Each pickup can be tapped via a push-pull pot for single coil operation.
    3 way toggle switch.
    Fully shielded with copper for quiet operation both live and in the studio.
    All components treated with Caig DeOxit for ong trouble free operation.
    Varitone uses custom wound inductor, hand wound by Kent Armstrong, as well as Xicon polypropylene capacitors.

http://www.guitar-mod.com/15.html

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've been itching for a true 8 string for quite a while. Maybe I'll just pick up a MIM Jazz and throw a Warmoth 8 string neck on her.

That would be a true beauty.

The real question, is where do you put your fundamentals? On top? In the middle (for tripled strings) or on the bottom?

13. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    My Galveston 12ver..i need to get it out and play it more...

[​IMG]

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

I prefer having my Octave strings on top(facing downward toward the floor)with the fundamental on the bottom(facing upwards towards me).

15. steve21

steve21 Banned

I'd like an 8 string, or maybe a 12'er (a 4 3x'd, not a 6 2x'd) but asdly the only experience I've had with it is the 8&12 string model on the Line 6 Variax.

However, it was my favorite model on the entire bass.

16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I can't believe no one has mentioned Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick yet. He always gets honorable mention on these kinds of threads... :smug:

I personally think 8-string, 10-string, 12-string & 15-string basses are uber-cool. Limited in application mostly to power pop/rock and possibly some avant-garde electric jazz, but cool nonetheless...

MM

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Not at all,I play Funk and Fusion on mine,it's all about how you want to approach a given genre.

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    So that would be the ideal setup for playing with fingers right?

Fundamentals on the treble side would be better for picking right?

19. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    That's not a bad idea ..... would you need to do anything to the pick-ups? I know very little about these basses .....

I checked out a couple of 8's but I sounded so bad on it that I hurt my own feelings :rolleyes: Maybe it's just a question of getting used to the octaves, or maybe the basses were just so crappy that they will never sound good, or maybe (probably most likely) I just hacked it up due to a massive lack of talent .....

20. this isn't mine, but it is my friend justin's. he just bought it from the low end.
    IMG_9359.