Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Show us your home made bass!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by teacherguy, Sep 11, 2004.

1. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I just started my first (and hopefully not last) project!! While I wait for my progess pics to be developed (no digital camera yet), I'd LOVE to see some of your home made basses! :hyper:

I'll post some shots of my own ASAP!

Thanks so much,

Jon

2. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Here is one I just finished

3. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Cool! I saw this earlier in the "luthier's corner" forum! Thanks!!
    Do you have photos of your first bass #001?
    Jon

4. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Here are some I've done (all these have been seen in other threads):

5. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hey Timmy!

Thanks for the photos!
    I was wondering, do you consider those last two basses on the right to be your "signature" design?
    I followed the progress thread on the hollow body! Sweet indeed!

Jon

6. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Thanks :) Yes, that is the design I am concentrating on now (currently building #4 in that style) although I have a singlecut prototype in the works too.

7. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Here is a photo of my first project. I cannibalized a Cort Curbow 4 for parts (neck, bridge, pick-up) and decided to give it a go. I've devoured tons of info from books and web sites (including TB's Luthier's Corner). After recieving my DP Custom and thinking "I can do at least THIS good of a job" I slowly tooled up.
    Here are the specs.:
    *2 piece swamp ash body (from Larry at Gallery Hardwoods!!!)
    *Curbow neck, tuners, bridge
    *Bart. mk-1 pick-up (off of Cort)
    *NO CONTROLS - p.u. straight to jack
    *20mm string spacing
    *Still undecided on the finish

I love the fact that the Curbow neck extends far towards the bridge. It offered me a lot of freedom to create a design that didn't depend on using Fender neck measurements for the pocket. I could create an upper horn that extended from the neck around the 14th -15th fret!

The body is a hybrid between a Mollerup Orca for the upper horn half and a WorkerBee for the lower horn half. I hope I didn't offend any builder by not asking permission to use a part of their design! I don't want a repeat of the controversy one TBer went through when he used JP's Pume bass body for his design!
    There are a couple of other photos in the Luthier's Corner forum if you're interested!
    Comments and advice welcome!! :bassist:
    Thanks,
    Jon

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I completed my first bass project-it was a straight from scratch bass. I think it turned out pretty good for a first from scratch...All of the projects on that site beyond the first one are on indefinate hold. I messed up on just enough things that-i want to concentrate on others aspects for a bit. I'm throwing around the idea of using prefab bodies [warmoth/all parts/maybe even mighty mite] while building my own necks. The catch to this is-i can't do much until i get a fret press/fretting tools. Oh well-right now i'm concentrating on getting all the gear i want/can before college [got major gas for a Jazz 5 + some cabs].

For pics of my bass-see my site, i don't thiink i have any up of it since it's been 100% done.

That's all

9. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    My first and second projects...

[​IMG]

1) The blue one. Jazz
    * White Korina with a AAA Quilted Maple Top
    * Wenge neck w/Ebony board
    * Homemade Ramp
    * BadAss II bridge
    * EMG-J's
    * Schaller tuners

2) The yellow one. P-J
    * Old Schecter body I found in my attic probably Swamp Ash
    * Stripped (from black) and repainted John Deere Yellow
    * MightyMite Maple Neck
    * Basslines Pickups
    * Standard bridge

I love the Jazz.... plays 'like butta'. The P-J isn't bad either. Better than wasting away in the attic. A fun refinishing project for me (never again).

-AJ

10. Basextravaganza

Basextravaganza

Sep 19, 2004
    Hi,

I started out by building a Rainbow bass look alike and I got a bit over-enthousiastic and ended up building more basses than fit in my house.
    www.bas-extravaganza.nl

11. ^ *** are those man? Oh, i mean that in agood way :)

12. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    You have some way cool designs! 2 STRINGS!? FUZZY!? Your rainbow look-alike is very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Jon

13. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9595&stc=1

This is mine... Plays really, really nicely surprisingly. Feels like a P-Bass, having compared it to one. Unfortunately, I'm not a huge fan of P-Bass's, so there we go. It's currently in my "not playing" state because it's got the signatures of all my friends from my year 11 class on it (when I was 16, it was the last year of compulsory education, so I lost a few friends who left school - I stayed on). I haven't had a chance to laquer over it, so through playing it I've rubbed quite a few of the signatures to a near un-readable state, which is a shame.

The whale-sized acoustic bass in the middle is good only for maybe firewood, and it'd probably suck at that.

Left is a Yamaha bass that, according to Yamaha, doesn't exist. It's got a neck they only used on a few models, so there we go.

The see-through pickguard was my original choice, but then I kept breaking all the 'coffee glass', and then kept breaking all my acryllic ones, and...well...to cut a long story short, I was doing a Technology project when I was 15, and I needed to get it finished quickly so I rushed the pick-guard. Equally, because I didn't think I'd be having a clear one after I exhausted my supply of coffee glass, the cavity's rough. However, it all looks nicely rustic, I guess.