Show us your home made bass!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by teacherguy, Sep 11, 2004.

1. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    I just started my first (and hopefully not last) project!! While I wait for my progess pics to be developed (no digital camera yet), I'd LOVE to see some of your home made basses! :hyper:

I'll post some shots of my own ASAP!

Thanks so much,

2. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Here is one I just finished
  3. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Cool! I saw this earlier in the "luthier's corner" forum! Thanks!!
    Do you have photos of your first bass #001?
  4. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Here are some I've done (all these have been seen in other threads):
  5. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Hey Timmy!

Thanks for the photos!
    I was wondering, do you consider those last two basses on the right to be your "signature" design?
    I followed the progress thread on the hollow body! Sweet indeed!

6. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Thanks :) Yes, that is the design I am concentrating on now (currently building #4 in that style) although I have a singlecut prototype in the works too.
  7. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Here is a photo of my first project. I cannibalized a Cort Curbow 4 for parts (neck, bridge, pick-up) and decided to give it a go. I've devoured tons of info from books and web sites (including TB's Luthier's Corner). After recieving my DP Custom and thinking "I can do at least THIS good of a job" I slowly tooled up.
    Here are the specs.:
    *2 piece swamp ash body (from Larry at Gallery Hardwoods!!!)
    *Curbow neck, tuners, bridge
    *Bart. mk-1 pick-up (off of Cort)
    *NO CONTROLS - p.u. straight to jack
    *20mm string spacing
    *Still undecided on the finish

I love the fact that the Curbow neck extends far towards the bridge. It offered me a lot of freedom to create a design that didn't depend on using Fender neck measurements for the pocket. I could create an upper horn that extended from the neck around the 14th -15th fret!

The body is a hybrid between a Mollerup Orca for the upper horn half and a WorkerBee for the lower horn half. I hope I didn't offend any builder by not asking permission to use a part of their design! I don't want a repeat of the controversy one TBer went through when he used JP's Pume bass body for his design!
    There are a couple of other photos in the Luthier's Corner forum if you're interested!
    Comments and advice welcome!! :bassist:
  8. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I completed my first bass project-it was a straight from scratch bass. I think it turned out pretty good for a first from scratch...All of the projects on that site beyond the first one are on indefinate hold. I messed up on just enough things that-i want to concentrate on others aspects for a bit. I'm throwing around the idea of using prefab bodies [warmoth/all parts/maybe even mighty mite] while building my own necks. The catch to this is-i can't do much until i get a fret press/fretting tools. Oh well-right now i'm concentrating on getting all the gear i want/can before college [got major gas for a Jazz 5 + some cabs].

For pics of my bass-see my site, i don't thiink i have any up of it since it's been 100% done.

That's all
  9. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    My first and second projects...

1) The blue one. Jazz
    * White Korina with a AAA Quilted Maple Top
    * Wenge neck w/Ebony board
    * Homemade Ramp
    * BadAss II bridge
    * EMG-J's
    * Schaller tuners

2) The yellow one. P-J
    * Old Schecter body I found in my attic probably Swamp Ash
    * Stripped (from black) and repainted John Deere Yellow
    * MightyMite Maple Neck
    * Basslines Pickups
    * Standard bridge

I love the Jazz.... plays 'like butta'. The P-J isn't bad either. Better than wasting away in the attic. A fun refinishing project for me (never again).

10. Basextravaganza

Sep 19, 2004

I started out by building a Rainbow bass look alike and I got a bit over-enthousiastic and ended up building more basses than fit in my house.
  11. ^ *** are those man? Oh, i mean that in agood way :)
  12. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    You have some way cool designs! 2 strings!? FUZZY!? Your rainbow look-alike is very nice! Thanks for sharing!

This is mine... Plays really, really nicely surprisingly. Feels like a P-Bass, having compared it to one. Unfortunately, I'm not a huge fan of P-Bass's, so there we go. It's currently in my "not playing" state because it's got the signatures of all my friends from my year 11 class on it (when I was 16, it was the last year of compulsory education, so I lost a few friends who left school - I stayed on). I haven't had a chance to laquer over it, so through playing it I've rubbed quite a few of the signatures to a near un-readable state, which is a shame.

The whale-sized acoustic bass in the middle is good only for maybe firewood, and it'd probably suck at that.

Left is a Yamaha bass that, according to Yamaha, doesn't exist. It's got a neck they only used on a few models, so there we go.

The see-through pickguard was my original choice, but then I kept breaking all the 'coffee glass', and then kept breaking all my acryllic ones, cut a long story short, I was doing a Technology project when I was 15, and I needed to get it finished quickly so I rushed the pick-guard. Equally, because I didn't think I'd be having a clear one after I exhausted my supply of coffee glass, the cavity's rough. However, it all looks nicely rustic, I guess.