Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Show us your Korean Squiers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ulynch, Feb 23, 2012.

1. ulynch

ulynch Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Nor Cal
    I started this thread because there is a lot of love for certain of these instruments, and a lot of confusion about just what came out of the Cor-Tek, Samick, and Saehan factories in the nineties. They offer an enormous bang for the buck, and there are even some owners who'd put theirs up against even MIA Fenders.

I'd like to see if we can compile something of a morphology of what exists.

Post your Korean Squiers ... Squier II, or other, Jazz or Precision, but let us know the serial number range at least. I'd really like to know how many of these came with the well-regarded high gloss neck and maple fretboard, and which ones have a laminate body. But most of all, do you love it? Hate it? Meh?

Here's the first of my two. It's a well-mojo'ed Squier II Precision, with the high gloss neck, and maple fretboard. I picked it up off of Craigslist from a local TB'er before I knew there was a Talkbass. The S9 serial number makes it a 1989 Samick factory model. Here's the Wiki page for serial number reference:

Squier - Korean Squiers

Tuners are the "Licensed by Schaller" type, with an aftermarket Hipshot drop tuner. The body is not ply, but solid wood. I didn't need to, but I replaced the electronics with CTS pots, a Switchcraft jack, and SD Quarter Pounders with closed covers. I also shielded the cavity with copper foil. It's sporting a three-ply pickguardian w/b/w pickguard. I frikken love this bass :bassist:

Show us yours!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Has anyone heard of a Fenders series with a serial number starting with CN####. I saw a older jazz bass in rough shape at a pickers mart that has a Mexi like decal on the headstock with CN### numbers. The owner said it was a Made in China Fender which I told him there is no such thing. I did find later there was a Made in Korea Fender model is this right? Someone did scratch off somthing above the seral number which could of said squire. It could be a fake decal but it did not appear to be and the bass was only good for parts witha bad bowed neck selling at $95.00

3. Register_To_Disable

4. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    CN#s were Korean "Fender Squier Series" similar to the MIM "Fender Squier Series" with the solid black Fender logo and "Squier Series" in smaller font closer to end of the headstock. Those get scratched off frequently.

Never be left in the dark again about serial numbers.
    Guitar Nucleus - Fender Serial Numbers

5. Here's my Korean Squier Jazz. I found this in a pawn shop about 10 years ago, and once I got it and put in Dimarzio pickups, I never used my MIM Jazz again. According to the E9xxxxx serial number, it's a 1989 model. It does have the high-gloss neck, and it plays really good. I've just switched over to a Geddy Lee Jazz because I always wanted a maple fretboard, but this one plays way better than the $200 I paid for it would suggest.

[​IMG]

Chris

6. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    That's what I thought. Were they not know as "Black label" Fenders? There is so much on Fenders I cant keep us with but did educate the owner that here is no Fender logo bass made in China, only Squier's. BTW- Cool site thanks.

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I've owned a couple of MIK Squiers, and they were all pretty decent instruments... IIRC, the necks were pretty good, the electronics were so-so, but definitely a jewel in the rough... I made a fair amount of $$$ gigging with one of them that was only slightly modified: new pups, pots, jack, and cap - I had well under $250 total invested in it...

- georgestrings

8. themacinator

themacinator Always looking for the perfect gig

Oct 8, 2009
    8,600 feet in the Colorado Rockies
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Babicz FCH Hardware
    So here is mine. $175 I think about three years ago off the bay. With the 80's Fender HSC. I have since done some mods. Bartolini pups, Babicz bridge, '62 RI Stacked Knob control plate. I've not changed the tuners but may one day. For now they are just fine.

The curious think is this one has an "E1" serial number. Not sure what that means.

It's one that will never leave me. I play many of my basses and always love playing this one..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here it is "pre-mod" with my vintage V4-B and Squareback SVT.

[​IMG]

9. Here's my Korean Squier II Precision Bass. Bought it at a local pawn shop for $90. I gave it a good cleaning, new strings and a proper setup. I also upgraded the pots and jack. I'm gonna upgraded the pickup soon. It has the high gloss neck with maple fretboard with Licensed by Schaller tuners and a laminate body. I love the feel of the neck, but I wish the body was contoured instead of a slab. It's not very comfortable to play. I might find a different body to put this neck on.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. ulynch

ulynch Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Nor Cal
    That's a pretty bass. :bassist: I like the vintage white, with white pickup covers. All the Jazzes I've seen have been E- prefix. I wonder if there were others.

Another good lookin Jazz. I wonder if that vintage cream color is a real faded white. What's it look like under the guard?

Re: the E1 serial number, here's what the Wiki page has to say

"The first guitars made ​​in Korea are those with serial number written in silver E1 + 6 digits"

and

"E1 + 6 digits with silver serial = made by Young Chang in 1987-88."

So an '87-'88, and a 1989 Young-Chang Jazz. I wonder if there were Samick Jazzes too ...

Nice! Same neck as mine, different body. Any idea what the fretboard radius is? It seems flatish compared to other instruments I've played. How does it feel to you compared to other Precisions?

Thanks for the photos all! Who's next? :D

11. Here is my 1989 S 9 MIK Squier Precision, with the gloss neck and licensed by Schaller machine heads. It was bought by my Girlfriend twice for me in 1998, & again in 2008 when I was lucky enough to get it back from my friend who I sold it to. The only upgrade has been the B/W/B scratchplate, I plan on keeping it now the serial number is S 978682.

It is a good bass & I have always liked the neck on it, who knows maybe one day I'll upgrade the pots and pickups.

Attached Files:

12. ulynch

ulynch Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Nor Cal
    That pickguard looks killer. Good call! And hats off to a woman who buys back your bass for you. :cool:

I haven't seen this variation before. It's an S9 (Samick factory, 1989), but not Squier II, and with a rosewood, not maple fretboard. Do you know if the body is laminate or solid wood?

Anyone care to guess what wood the solid bodies were made from?

I only replaced my electronics because I wanted the experience. It sounded killer before, very fat. It sounds more killerer now, somewhat more fatterer. :D :p

13. Not sure on the body wood but it is heavy, so maybe solid wood.

14. themacinator

Oct 8, 2009
    Disclosures:
    Recently pulled the guard and it was slightly brighter so I think that cream color is the original. Thanks for the date information. Glad it's Young Chang too, good company.

Must be why this bass is so good.

15. Here's my Korean Squier P, I bought it as my first bass in the early 90's. Not sure if it was used but i think it was. No idea what the manufacture date on it is as it's 6 digits starting with E9 so there's nothing on Wiki or Fender that mentions this variant.

[​IMG]

High Gloss neck/ Rosewood fretboard

[​IMG]

Standard tuners, same as on my MIM

[​IMG]

Original sticker on the back of the headstock

[​IMG]

Came with these more vintage-style knobs

[​IMG]

In my youth i painted the pickguard black, and wore some of that off since. Color has faded some but it's always been a cream color.

Play's and sounds great, very bright and punchy, it stands up against my MIM P, and i think sounds better. I only keep the MIM because it's fretless.

16. ulynch

ulynch Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Very cool. Thanks for posting that. It looks like the P-bass brother of throbbinnut's E9 Jazz posted above. Probably Young-Chang factory, 1989.

Hey Waterpilot - are those the "Licensed by Schaller" tuners? Slab laminate body? Do you love the neck?

17. ulynch

ulynch Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Nor Cal
    Here's one more example. I got this bass for nothing, but it turns out the neck is badly warped.

It's a Squier, not Squier II. The VN4 serial makes it a Saehan/Sunghan factory, 1994 model. The neck has a maple board, and a matte finish. The tuners are the cheap closed back type.

It's got a front routed laminate body with contours, but the edges of the contours are very angular, not smoothly curved. I tried to show that in pics, but with the black finish it doesn't show up. Sorry.

It seems like of all the variations I've seen, this one's got the fewest redeeming qualities.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. LowNotes1

LowNotes1

Jun 8, 2008
    My son's girlfriend recently acquired a Squier II Precision, and I did a string change and set-up for it. I had never played one before, and I was impressed. Nice, solid neck, and a lot of thump.

19. themacinator

Oct 8, 2009
    Disclosures:
    I think that Korean Squiers will be more and more sought after. Seems they are just now becoming more well known for their value and quality.

20. I honestly think that the MIK Squier's are better than the Affinity models, & as good as the Standard model. I wish I'd kept the Jazz bass and upgraded parts on it, it was a really nice bass.