Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Show us your Sterlings ! !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kelu, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    Here is mine, I got a much more beautiful pic, but the size is 339Ko...
    (If you know how reduce the size tell me ! )

2. bump

3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    What is the main difference between the Stingray and the Sterling? I have been told that they are totally different animals.

4. the biggest difference I see is the feel.it's like comparing the Stingray and Sterling with a Precision and Jazz bass.

5. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I believe sterlings have a smaller body, and have a 3 way switch for series/paralell/single coil.

6. yea that too!

7. and also.....I like the Sterlings more!

8. The pickups are also made of different materials. The SR5 sounds like the Sterling because it's basically the same pickup materials. SR uses different ones and subsequently sounds different.

But the different most people notice is:

-Weight
    -Feel (neck/body is more streamlined and smaller)
    -Electronics (three way switch not availible on SR).

But I hate the sterling just because the pickguard looks stupid. :p

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    YEa the Stingray neck is like a Pbass i think and Sterling is like a jazz, i heard that somewhere? Too bad i like neither, i prefer one thats kinda inbetween, like, not wide at the nut, but kinda thick, like a Warwick or Steinberger or Hohner, but jazz basses are way too thin.

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    The Jazz P-Bass analogy is right on.
    I have a fretless 2002 Sterling, Sunburst unlined fingerboard.
    If you dig Jazz bass necks, you will love a Sterling.
    Neck plays itself.
    Does sound more like SR5 than stngray.

11. yea........I love Jazz necks cuz my wrists aren't that great to begin with.......so anything that'll spare them of pain or discomfort is a convience if not a blessing....I'd so love to get a sterling..they sound so nice...especially through an EBS Rig

12. I snagged one of the LE "black onyx" Sterlings recently because I needed a little fretted buddy for my Wal fretless. It plays beautifully, sounds great and is a wonderful bass for slap. I'm really pleased with it.

13. anyone have pics of their sterlings?????

14. Kelu

Kelu

Dec 6, 2002
    Lille in France
    Go on ernieball site..
    You'll can customize your instrument and have a pic of it ! Try it !