Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Show us your ZON basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Aug 30, 2000.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Heheh pretty funny Thread, but anyone I'm curious on how many people uses Zons. I LOVE Zon, they are like awesome awesome. I really like the Legacy series over the Sonus for some reason, but anyways, if anyone can post pictures of their ZON Basses, I would really appreciate it. (My NExt Bass, the Salas is gonna have a body close to the Legacy :D)

DM

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Here ya go:

[​IMG]

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    mmmmmmmm!! that bass.. looks.......sexxxy~~~ :D!

How does it sound? :)

DM

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    no one else has a ZON Legacy or a Sonus? hehe

DM

5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    AFAIK that's correct. I prefer the Legacy body style, it's a lot more distinctive. Joe said he would still build a Legacy Standard if someone wanted one.

6. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    I had a Legacy Standard and absolutely loved it. I can't understand why he discontinued it in favor of the Sonus, which just looks "generic" to me.

7. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I have 2 Zons, both Sonus Custom 5's and they're great. I actually prefer the Sonus to the Legacy's I've tried. They seem to fit better on my body. Maybe I'll get some pic's together. Have you guys tried the Lightwave Zon?? I demo'd a fretless 5 and it was pretty incredible. If you played with you eyes closed you would swear you were hearing a really good upright bass being played. I'm not kidding! and that was with roundwounds, if you put on some Thomastic flats, then, wow. I think I'm going to sell my current fretless Zon and get the Lightwave. Anyone interested in a Sonus Custom unlined fretless 5 w/polyester coated board, nice flame top and a dark purple finish? Oh yeah, and it has the Zon piezo bridge.

8. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Brad: I LOVE the Legacy body over the Sonus :) my new Salas is gonna have a Legacy look alike body :) which is gonna be finished end of this week(?) :D! I wanna try those Zon Lightwaves. i heard many great things about it :) I heard that they can make Zon Hyperbass in fretted from what i heard!!!! I wanna try a Hyperbass.. body looks sickening.. its range is 36frets.. so.. if its fretted.. mmmmmm 36 frets....

DM

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey Coyoteboy...not really, but id be really interested in the fretted! :) I too have tried the lightwave...and back you up completely! They were AWESOME!

10. Hi!

I've got a Zon Sonus Special 5-string. If you look at the Sonus page on Zon's website

http://www.zonguitars.com/zon.sonus.456.jpg

Mine is exactly like the one in the middle.

I love my Zon. I'd love to get a Legacy.

And yes. I just emailed Zon yesterday asking about the tunable bridge on the hyperbass. If I could get a fretted hyperbass with standard guage strings, I would get it for sure. But, over $7000 for the hyperbass with the detuners! Holy ****! That's a lot of cash for one guitar!

Brian

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Hyperbasses pop up every once in a while at very reasonable prices (below $2K), probably because the market is so small for them (there's you...and Michael already has his:D)

In the Sonus line I like the Specials and the Custom.

Offbase, I agree, the Sonus looks generic, doesn't really ask for a response from whomever's looking at it;) OTOH a more generic, less in-your-face body style probably has more people interested in them. Gimme the Legacy any day.

DarkMazda, I love it, too. It really grew on me.

Coyoteboy, I've tried a few Lightwaves and you've nailed the description of it. My problem was I reeeaaaally like the percussive aspects of my Legacy and the ability to go from a fretted sound to fretless in the blink of an eye. I can get a broad, blooming LW type sound by changing hand position and plucking technique or get a killer staccato, percussive thing or a big booty P bass sound and more. And it slaps like a beast, too. I'm amazed every time I plug it in at a gig. Most people don't realize it's a fretless until I make it sound like one. Then it's "How did you get that to ...wait a minute...that's a fretless?"

The Lightwave is excellent for what it is. I wasn't able to get anything other than the upright sound, which is also the reason I haven't bought a Rob Allen (yet;)) though I think the RA is more capable of a traditonal sound. If there is a way to achieve this on the LW...I'm all ears. I prefer the Legacy.

12. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Hyperbasses are that cheap?!?!? Wow.. thats like cheap end Zons :) Since Sonus costs around $2500 and the Legacy Elite cost around $3000+ :D

DM

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Here's the best picture I have of my Sonus.

[​IMG]

I wish I had a Hyperbass too...

Will C.:cool:

14. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Will C: SHNIFTY!!! :D.. uhmm i was wondering.. why is there only 2 knobs?? o_O. its a J-style, isn't it usually 2 knobs for the 2 pickups then the tone?

DM

15. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    The older version of the Sonus has two concentric knobs (4 knobs) for dual volume, bass/treble. I agree that the Lightwave seems to be more of a one sound axe, but my problem (though its not really a problem) is that my fretless Sonus Custom sounds a whole lot like my fretted Custom (gee, I wonder why) and I'd like to broaden my sonic palate some more, and a killer upright with bite is just what I need. I'll bet that with some time spent, the Lightwave would deliver more than just the string bass sound. Also remember that you can use any kind of string with it, so for example you could use the Thomastik nylon core ABG strings. Ok, how bout this: since there is no magnetic pickups to get in the way, is there any reason why Joe couldn't build a Hyperbass style 5 string incorporating the 36 postition fingerboard and put the Lightwave system in it? I'm not worried about the detuners, but the 3 octave board has my mind racing. In fact I'm gonna write Joe right now and ask him.

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I meant "used", DM. Sorry about that. I saw a used Legacy 6 last year for $1100. deals are out there, ask Dave Siff....lucky so and so:D

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    36 position fretless, talk about an intonation nightmare:eek: (not the bass, yours:D)

18. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Brad: Yeah David siff!! that lucky bastard!!! hehe :) I want one... I want a Legacy Elite for $1100.. where can u find those!??!?!? I saw some used ones for like $1800 or so with gig bag.. but not $1100

DM

19. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    DM: Actually there are four knobs. They're stacked just like the early Jazz basses. The top one controls neck/bridge pickup volumes and the bottom set controls bass/treble boost/cut.

By the way, my bass is transparent red, not solid red like the picture would make you believe.

Oops, too late, someone already answered this one. I guess I'll contribute this instead:

Palate = Personal taste. Good food can please anyone's palate.

Palette = range of colours. This bass offers a wide palette of tones.

Just trying to make the post more useful...

Will C.:cool:

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Just have to keep your eyes open, DM. Dave's CT was on Bassgear.com, which is where the guy who traded me the Lakland for my Keith Roscoe saw my ad. I hadn't checked bassgear.com out in a few weeks (fortunately for Dave;)), I was in Atlanta when he bought it.

Missed it by "that" much!
    -Maxwell Smart, Control