1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

show your 33" Scale 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cubanbass, Mar 2, 2008.

1. cubanbass

cubanbass Gold Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2006
    Hoboken, NJ
    Anyone have one? I have been thinking about getting one, wanted to get some GAS going.
    :hyper:

2. cubanbass

Feb 1, 2006
    Hoboken, NJ
    anyone?

3. bryanonbass

bryanonbass

May 13, 2001
    Northern NJ
    i have a 33" 5 string.

4. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    Here's my Shuker >>

I love it!

Eude

5. cubanbass

Feb 1, 2006
    Hoboken, NJ
    LOL!!! Maybe I should change it to show your 33"ers...

Nice Shuker Eude. Thats what I am GASSIN:hyper: for!

6. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    Nice bass! I've seen it here before but never commented on it. One of the nicest single cut shapes I've seen - Fodera Emperor II and Imperial still takes the cake (IMHO) but this is right up there. Plus I'm probably much closer to owning one of these than a Fodera. Haha.

How big is the body? Say compared to a Fender J, I assume it's smaller but how much smaller? Thanks!

7. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I haven't seen very many 33" basses. Is there much of an advantage to them, or is it just a slightly shorter scale?

8. bryanonbass

bryanonbass

May 13, 2001
    Northern NJ
    only advantage I notice is that it is slightly more comfortable.

9. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    Nice one dude.
    I'm so pleased with it, it's my dream bass!

On a side note, I'm gonna be sticking to 33" from now on too, it means a lifetime of custom bass price tags but it's worth it...

Cheers,
    Eude

10. eude

eude

Apr 13, 2006
    London
    Hey man,
    glad you like it!

It's quite a bit smaller than a Jazz Bass, I've attached an image for you to, for reference, I'm a wee guy, I'm only 5 foot 6...

Cheers,
    Eude

Attached Files:

11. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    Sorry for the late response but thanks for the pic and reference! Again, great bass!
    I'm on the opposite - 6'1" and 290 lbs... Your bass would look like a mandolin on me, hahaha!

12. More comfortable, lighter, shorter reach, and a more mellow upper register sound. The only catch is that it takes one hell of a luthier to get a solid low B out of it, provided it is strung with a low B.

13. cubanbass

Feb 1, 2006
    Hoboken, NJ
    That is what I have been thinking about. I would have to get a 33" 6er built and then be disapointed by a floppy B.

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I recall seeing a 33" scale Fodera MG a while ago, it was a stunner! Owned by some French guy IIRC.

15. I remember that one as well. It was on the old Fodera site. It had a birdseye top and a rosewood board.

Very nice looking!

16. It's a tad risky, but there are a few luthiers who have done these and do it well. Cliff Bordwell, Stambaugh, Ken Lawerence, Shuker, Bee, and a few others have experience.

17. mine's 30 1/2

18. cubanbass

Feb 1, 2006
    Hoboken, NJ

Thats crazy! What do you use it in? How does it play? Boy these seem like silly questions!

I have been spending less time on the Mac and less time obsessing about gear and more time playing and connecting with people. That being said, there are good things about checking out gear and these forums. Not to get off topic but I read your blog Randy. Bless you.

Back to my musings on 33" or shorter scale basses... This has come about loving a current string fretless but not being happy with with certain things (like a broken trussroad, string spacing,..). I have always wanted to have a custom bass built so I figured a 33" would be lighter, and easier on the hands. I would still like a full bodies tone, wide neck and string spacing, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions on builders. I figure I should start exploring their work to get an idea of who I want to work with and what I want.

19. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    33 inch Scale.....Theres allot more Fodera's than you may think.

DSCN2130.

20. cubanbass
    Made by Zolla in San Diego. And has a 30 ½ inch scale wide neck with a RMC piezo and 13-pin output to go to a V-Bass or Roland synth. Zolla can make you what ever you want.
    I had him make the neck pretty wide, over 2 inches at the nut and the construction is like a pre CDS fender which is what I love. I think it plays great and the worn in feel is like old clay-dot slab-board Fender. With the V bass it can sound like almost anything. I wanted it to have a body that was a cross between a fender bass Vl and a Jaguar or Jazzmaster. I designed the stupid headstock but if I had to do it over again I would have it more fender-like as he suggested. I just use heavy guitar strings with a wound third and the tuning is B-C an octave higher than a regular six string Bass. Originally it had a removable nut and two different nuts with the slots cut for standard or picolo tunning.

When i used briefly with standard six string bass tuning. I used a really heavy standard length b and a short scale set for the middle 4 and something like a 35 for the high C. heavy works better for a short scale. it was only an ‘OK’ B sound (pitch was funky after about the 6th fret) but I am used to the 35 inch B on my modulus.

Kevin Kaufman recently put a permanent nut on for piccolo. I originally used the Zolla as a way to sequence midi stuff for composing hence the piccolo tunning.
    I do solo gigs with tracks using it now it now about two gigs a week.

cubanbass let us know what you do get. good luck