1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Show Your 5 String Short Scale Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JohnArnson, Oct 21, 2019.

1. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    I realize there probably won't be many people having one, since it is somewhat a small niche with not a lot of options on the market, but if you do post a picture of yours with a few words about it.

Mine is a 5 string Ibanez GSRM25 Mikro bass, with a just 28,6" scale length, poplar body, maple neck with a jatoba fretboard, and 16,5mm string spacing.

I have done a few visual mods on it, but still have the stock pickups in it, and actually don't plan on swapping them out, cause even if I really didn't like how they sounded in any combination as they were wired from stock in parallel, wiring then in series directly to the output jack socket of the bass gave me an amazingly great tone that I truly love.

Also I have it stringed with a gauge .100 to .032 set of strings, and tuned F# to D, like the 5 lowest strings of an 8 string guitar, or 2 half steps up form standard E tuning (still give me less tension than what a similar gauged set of strings would be in standard E tuning on a regular 34"scale bass).

Works well for how I use it, playing it a bit more like you would a Bass VI type instrument or a baritone guitar, than you traditionally would play a bass, with a lot of melodic work and chords going on.

I also split my signal up in 2 parallel paths, one carrying my bass signal, and one going through an octaver pedal pitching the signal up 1 octave, giving me the effect of playing a 10 string octave bass, with 5 bass strings and 5 octave strings in pairs, just with the advantage that I can use different effects on the bass signal and the octave up signal and adjust the tone and balance of the 2 signals exactly to my liking.

Here it is:
    Bass-5-120919-small-Edit-666999-Lostus-blomst-copy-Take-2-copy-smallest.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Mekana and Bassaga like this.
  2. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    I realize they are a fairly rare breed, but really, no one else who got a short scale 5 string bass here?

3. DaveTomasi

DaveTomasi Gold Supporting Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Just saw this when searching.

Rare indeed! All of my basses are short scales (30 3/8 ") including 1 5'er.

Bru Crew 3A.jpg

Bru Crew 4.jpg
    KXB-5 09.jpg
    KXB-5 10.jpg

Mekana likes this.
  4. Mekana

Mekana Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2009
    E16AB507-E61D-4BAD-928A-8ED545444BE6.jpeg

The short scale 5’s I’m currently playing are 30” Brices. In the photo: An older model that I modded with Armstrong pickups and wired passive only; the aqua (oceanburst), violet (custom refinished) and fretless are newer versions and all stock (active/passive) other than strings, setup, and the purple makeover.

... and not in the photo is a 30” older version Brice 6 string.

I also have a 30” scale Kiesel Vader, which is fantastic, but I need to get my tendinitis under control before I can get back to playing it.

And I also have a beautiful 31” scale Birdsong Hy5 that I love, but it needs some repair work... and right now the Brice basses are doing the trick for the gigs I play, so I’m not rushing it.

DaveTomasi likes this.