Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Show your Aerodyne

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr M, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Well, I really like the look of Aerodyne (never tried/heard one). I've made a search and found that lots of TB'ers have them. So let see those Aerodynes (especially new pics as I spent few hours to check the pics already sent)...

2. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    My girl's Limited Edition Aerodyne.

The look is the only thing I find nice in this bass.

(Sorry I don't have pics of it alone...)
    [​IMG]

3. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Nice basses man, the Aerodyne looks cool, the only thing that is stopping me from buying one is the P stlye pickups, if it were two jazz pickups id most likely get one!

Joss stone's bassist has a nice red Jazz aerodyne..

4. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
  5. I'd like to have JJ pickups too. That's why I'm thinking about a Warmoth possibility too..

6. pseek

pseek

Jun 17, 2004
    Netherlands
    This is mine. With a badass II and SD basslines.
    [​IMG]

7. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    HOT!!!

8. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    [​IMG]

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    So not as a dis on anyone...but aren't all Aerodyne's black except for a very few limited edition ones?

Aren't all the pictures gonna look like the same bass? I know there are ones both with and without pickguards...but...hmmmm.

10. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    They are all made in Japan, but the only one available in the States is black without p/g. You can order the gunmetal one with the p/g from some Japanese vendors. Wish it was easier to get here, I might pick one up.
    Anyone have any input on how they sound?

11. narcopolo

narcopolo

Sep 12, 2005
    richmond, va
    that ibanez is sexy

12. Hi

Which Basslines have you used on it?
    Thanks

13. Sincerely you are right but I just can get enough of it. The same thing applies to Liv Tyler for me too :D . It's the same lady....

14. How much will it cost to build a Warmoth Aerodyne (slightly modified, especially the Pickups and some hardwares).
    Let's do it together:

BODY
    Normally we should go with the following body option: Basswood J body $165.00 + $20.00 for rear routed version. But for "drop top binding" Warmoth works with a laminated top only. They offer laminated tops on their hollowed and dinky J bodies (not on their normal jazz bodies according to the website, or am I wrong?). Let’s go with a hollowed Basswood J body laminated top $260.00 + $20.00 for rear routed version (the dinky is only $10.00 cheaper)
    Drop top binding (color:cream) $90.00
    Black polyurethane paint for body is $185.00
    BODY TOTAL $555.00 only for the body!!! And the body is not with a radius like the original Aerodyne...

NECK
    For neck, it will be a jazz bass neck maple/rosewood for $167.00 (with an additional 21st fret, the original is with 20 fret only) Also it's with a 10" fingerboard radius instead of 7.25" radius for the original. As long as I see in their webpage, they do offer only one back shape for their 4 string necks. And the original is Side Dot Position Inlays Only, I thing they will offer the same thing too.
    Paint (Peghead Color with a clear gloss/satin back) $115.00
    Fender Curved Graphtech Graphite string nut $4.75
    NECK TOTAL $286.75

PICKUPS AND ELECTRONICS
    Let's begin for some modification with a JJ configuration and beter pickups
    e.g. Basslines STKj-2 for $156.00
    And Duncan STC3-p for $123.00
    PICKUPS AND ELECTRONICS TOTAL $279.00

HARDWARE ETC.
    bridge (gotoh 201 black) $32.00
    tuners (Schaller BML Bass Tuners, black) $50.00
    Strat type black jack plate $7.50
    Strap button Set of 2, Black $3.25
    String retainer (Vintage Round, Black) $2.55
    A set of string $30.00
    Copper shielding $5.00
    HARDWARE ETC.TOTAL $130.30

The time, sweat and blood you’ll spend to put the things together: PRICELESS :D :D

TOTAL $1,251.05 (hmmm, have we doubled the price?) But OK the pickups cost a lot...

15. [​IMG]

Fender Aerodyne J, non-export Jazz.

16. pseek

pseek

Jun 17, 2004
    Netherlands
    @ Mr M

STK-J2 and SPB3

17. How is the balance? Is the quarter pound overwhelm the hot stack?

18. pseek

pseek

Jun 17, 2004
    Netherlands
    No, I was surprised because the SPB3 has a greater output. But
    the STK can easily match it. I have the SPB for 80% open and the STK for 60% to get my prefered sound. If I put the STK completely open it can even overwhelm the SPB.

19. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    A few small points:

We don't offer drop-top binding on the Dinky, and while the full-size J must have a laminate top to get this option it does not have to be hollow. There's also some additional cost related to masking and scraping the binding with this finish - our paint section has the details on this, or you can PM/email me.

And hey, if you're going the custom route, why not think outside the box a little and get a different color, wood, or other option? To be honest, if you spec out a USA custom-built dead-on copy of a mass-produced import guitar, you might just as well buy the import and upgrade it. Not that we don't like the money... ;)

20. Thanks for the reply. My misunderstanding about the dinky and not-hollowed J body. And also about the paint job..

I think the only thing that I'll upgrade about that bass is a pair of JJ pickups and a preamp (Aguilar or Duncan). To do this I should change the body which comes with a PJ pickup set and this is the most costly part :D