Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

show your atk's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman454, May 12, 2003.

1. hi,
    i have an atk305..and am keen to see its other long lost sisters...so post any pics of ibanez atk basses thanks

2. Is there an echo in here?

[​IMG]

;)

- Wil

3. Chockoo

Chockoo

Feb 15, 2003
    Germany
    hmm.

4. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey Chocko,

What mod did you put into your ATK? Is that a MM pup?

Very interesting.

How's it sound?

5. Chockoo

Chockoo

Feb 15, 2003
    Germany
    its a replacement from "bassculture" (www.bassculture.de), a german luthier who offers ATK-Replacements. You can tell him what you want, in my case I ordered smooth highs, growly mids and BIIIG Lows. Thats what I got. Also he uses wood-covers. The Ibanez-PU had too sharp highs when plugged directly to the recording-console.

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    [​IMG]

7. yeah if i knew how to post pics i would post a pic of mine..but it is pretty much the same as wil davis'.
    by the way will how did u get your chrome so shiny, some sort of cleaner? or is your bass just in good condition. my chrome is a bit duller.
    i am thinking about mods, that is partly why i started this thread..i am thinknig of getting a pearl pickguard..and also electronis mods..
    that is a damn nice bass chockoo..is that a custom paint job??

8. Chockoo

Chockoo

Feb 15, 2003
    Germany
    All stock -except the Pickup. As far as I know this is a ATK600. Its got flamed maple top, and kind of blueish/tourquise laquer. --in my photo came out much more blue than it really is.
    More than once I been thinking to refinish it to a honeybrown-burst or yellow finish-so you thionk there is no urgent need for refinishing...nice?

9. yeah that colour is wicked...i think for the price it would cost to get it refinished in the burst it would prolly be not much dearer to go buy another one?? i dunno..i would deffenatly not wreck that finish..and the pick up looks really good too

10. Chockoo

Chockoo

Feb 15, 2003
    Germany
    christoph dolph at bassculture is a nice guy, just tell him what kind of tone you want if you want to change your PU. ...and yes...I better get a second bass than refinishing.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah...I own one. Flamed Koa over alder 3 piece body. I keep thinking about putting it up for sale, it's sorta collecting dust as of late...

[​IMG]

The figuring...
    [​IMG]

12. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Brendan - this is the same bass you were so fired up about buying only a couple of months ago? Dude - that's a sweet bass! Keep it!

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, it is. It's a great bass, and it's sort of the small things that are making it less and less popular. Sharp fret edges, a body that's bulkier than I'd like, a maple freboard (from a visual standpoint), it's strung EADG; and while I could string it BEAD, it just seems like that would be a last ditch modification to try to save it. I'm still using my other bass way more than this one.

It DOES sound and play great, don't think I'm not fired up about it's main qualities. It's the smaller ones that are getting to me. If I could get rosewood freboard, re-fret, and shave the body down to a smaller one, I'd keep it, but at that point, it's not really an ATK, or worth dropping the money to modify it when it's just not quite what I'm after, ya know?

14. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Yeah, that's cool. I've been really lucky with mine. I had to replace the output jack, which is VERY common as the stock ATK300 jacks are crap, but otherwise, it plays and sounds like a dream. I got it set up by a local luthier, too, as it desperately needed it.

I've actually been playing mine more and more, even over some of my basses that are "worth" three times as much. It just plays so nicely and really has a great sound for funk.

15. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Brendan, I totally agree with Planet Boulder. As you may know, I just bought the same exact bass.

I strung it with a set of DR Highbeams and it was ready to go. I love this bass. The EQ range is pretty broad, where some settings may be over the top, but I can easily dial in any tone I want.

I can get a menacing Stingray tone to a buttery, almost compressed tone.

I took the pickguard off of mine. You can hardly see the screw holes unless you really concentrate on the bass. My bandmates think the bass sounds awesome and looks pretty cool too.

16. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    Although this is not a contest, Brendan's wins, hands down!

every time I see an ATK, and how much people seem to like them, I wonder why they were discontinued...

17. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Mine looks just like Wil Davis', except it's probably alot dirtier than that one looks to be. And imagine little glow-in-the-dark triangles as position markers under the B string.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Thanks. It's a beaut alright.

The reason? Stupidity. Sheer stupidity.

19. i started this thread to get any idea's for modding my atk...i am thinking of getting a pearl pickguard.
    but i am now wondering how do you set your eq and coil switch on your atk?? and do u string through the body or bridge??
    thanks

20. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    For my ATK300 I roll the treble off almost entirely, set the bass flat and boost the mid just a tad. I position the selector switch all the way to the left...the fattest setting, i suppose. Then I boost the bass and mid on the amp. I prefer to string through the body as well.

All in all, I think I get a pretty nice, bottom heavy fingerstyle rock growl.