Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

show your birdseye maple necks!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emielow, Feb 22, 2006.

1. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    i'm planning to build a bass, with a birdseye maple neck.

i don't know what colour / wood looks good on the (jazzbass) body

so show your basses with a birdseye maple neck please!

2. [​IMG]

Birdseye neck and board... Celinder Update 5

3. Birdseye maple always looks diseased, more like bird flu maple :bag:

Loving that dark blue stain tho :bassist:

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
  5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Neck or fingerboard??

I don't recommend bird's eye maple as a neck wood, unless you have plans to add stiffening elements (i.e. graphite rods, or a multi-laminate neck with purpleheart or wenge stringers), as it is not the most stable of woods. Figuring, such as flame, burls, or bird's eyes are actually "flaws" in the wood and tend to weaken it. Even as a fingerboard, it can (not WILL) have a negative impact on the stability of a neck - when we use it for a fingerboard, we actually put an extra graphite rod in the neck!

6. +1 on birdseye necks. I was nervous about the Celinder, but was assured that stability would not be an issue. Man, that neck has not moved in a year. It guess is all has to do with the quality of the piece of wood and the builders skill. However, I'm with Gard... better to use a good old regular maple neck and save the pretty birdseye for the fretboard.

On the other had, the birdseye neck is really, really amazing looking!

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Ken, you posted and didn't compliment my bass!!!

:mad:

:spit:

...how're you doing man, long time no talk to! Hope all is well...

8. Ha! I actually clicked on that photo and checked that bass out up close... amazing. I really dig the whole look of it, and the dual coils look amazing.

All is well. I recently played Vic's beautiful Roscoe... very, very nice. I haven't had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with your basses.... very nice!

9. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Right now I am waiting on a new Carvin Elite in which I am having it built with a birdseye maple fretboard. With the AAAAA Quilted Maple top and the Birdseye fretboard....it should look awsome!

10. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    ok, thanks for the advice!

11. I do like the blue/maple combo... nice. Very cool on the basses to Detroit. Please let me know when they ship.

12. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    I've never really seen birdseye maple that I like.

Flamed maple on the other hand......*drool*

I think I'll start a competing thread. :ninja:

13. You don't see a lot of flame used on fretboards. However, George seems to use quite a bit of flame as a fretboard option on his FBasses, and it looks great.

If you are a fan of flame maple, check out the picture of my old Fodera on my profile... IMO, the most amazing flame maple ever... just an over the top pattern.

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I still like mine better... Acrylized Birdseye Maple fretless board

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    The only thing that my Stingray has that beats the crap out of my Sterling is the birdseye maple neck. So gorgeous.

I have pics at home, will upload later.

16. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    +1 Gard...My StingRay has a beautiful flame maple neck (with a rosewood board). While it has aged nicely and is rather unique among StingRays (haven't seen another one like it ever), figured maple does have a tendency to need a lot more attention. There have been a couple of times over the past 20 years where I thought the neck was shot (thank God for Larry Cragg) and considered swapping out the neck for a Status replacement. I probably will never get another figured maple neck bass because it is so tempermental.

17. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    This is my '82 Mockingbird - bought it 3 years ago and have had zero issues with the neck. Plays and sounds great. I also have a Warmoth with an all Bird'seye Jazz neck that I got new 4 years ago and after the initial installation I have never had to adjust it in an way. Stable as hell.

18. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    One of the jewels of my collection is Lakland #5001 (their 1st production 5 string). Along with the SICK birdseye, check out the "veins" in the quilt. ITS ALIVE!!! :eek:!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. NICE! I had an early 55-94 for quite a while that also had one of the most figured and amazing birdseye boards I'd ever seen. Lakland really does some amazing work.

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member