1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Show your Blade!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassAgent, Oct 26, 2006.

1. BassAgent

BassAgent Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    Wether you have a B2, B3, B4, B1, B25 or another Blade, show it!
    This is my Blade B2 from 2000:
    Bleet004.gif
    Bleet003.gif
    Bleet001.gif
    Blade003.gif
    Blade002.gif

Yes, I have a lame bed.

2. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I remember seeing these in MF a while ago. What happened to them?

3. BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    MF?

4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    That'd be Musician's Friend, a catalogue that comes every once in a while to help us pass the time in the bathroom.

5. So I'm not alone.:D

6. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Blades are designed by an American named Gary Levinson. He's been here in Switzerland for about 20+ years. At one time, his guitars and basses were all hand made. The old ones pop up on Swizterland's version of ebay called ricardo.

The ones you see on the website are made in China, assembled in Japan and set up in Basel, Switzerland. I have the B-1, identical to the black one posted on their website.

These basses have subtle improvements from 60's jazz basses. The necks are slightly thinner and narrower than a Geddy Less, certainly further up the neck towards the body. The neck is finished in nitros and is very fast. Small to medium size frets. The bass balances very well.

The basses are wired Vol/Balance/Tone. You can pull out the tone control and get a 0-14db (adjustable gain), which is great if you want to solo and get a quick boost.

One complaint is the sound is a little thin. However, when hooked up to a Sadowsky pedal, it kills. I mean seriously kiils. It just blossoms.

Another complaint is they are not agressive enough with their sales and marketing. They're all over Europe and quite a few people use them and really like them. Their guitars have long been popular with studio players in Nashville.

Fellow TB'rs owning Blades (that I know of) are Bassagent, Heath the Great, and Markus Willet. That's not many when you compare it to other bass owners. I personally find these basses sit competitively between MIA Fenders and Sadowsky's, both from a quality/feel perspective and price. It sits nicely in the middle. (I have three Fenders.)

And my last complaint is the limited colors they come in. I would love to see a range of solid colors with matching headstocks. I think they could win a bigger audience.

They're very nice basses if you like jazz basses, but want just a little bit more than the Fender offering. And I will qualify that last statement by saying that I recently 6-7 Custom Shop Jazzes and found those necks too thick when compared to the Blade. They aren't thin like Ibanez Soundgear's. Just a bit slimmer than stock Fenders. Subtle but noticeable.

As usual, YMMV.

andronik likes this.
  7. BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Yep, you are completely right bmc! Except that the B2 (like I have) do nót have push-pull pots, but Volume/Balance/Bass/Treble.

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    When I first saw the thread title, I was pleased to see someone else take the lead. Then when I opened it, recognized it was you and remembered our pm exchange, I thought "what a prick for torturing me like that" :D

The B-2 is a different beast from the B-1, not that different than the vintage/modern distinction of other well know makers of Jazz clones..

I really wish Blades were more accessible to TB's in the states. There are a lot of jazz bass lovers on the forum and I know many of them would snap these basses up.

9. BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    They're not available to the USA? Lame.

I've made some better pictures of my Blade, I'll edit the opening post. Why don't you post pics of yours, bmc?

And it wasn't on purpose, I was just thinking: hey, there isn't a Blade-topic yet.

10. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    nice basses, played one before, but no way is it sadowsky territory, I put it in the 500-1000 category

11. BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Errr, no, a new Blade is around 1600 euro's, that's almost 2000 dollars.

12. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

My latest addition (older Swiss made Blade):

blade_bass.gif

DSC00770.gif

DSC00771.gif

DSC00772.gif

13. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006

14. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    They don't make 6ers. Only 5ers and 4. Typo? ;)

15. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    My read on that, given that he said a couple dozen sixers AND about 8 basses, was that the sixers to which he referred were, in fact, guitars.....

Lee

16. where are all the people 'showing their blades' :meh:

17. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

The one I just bought from Marcus (pictured above) is extremely impressive. Great craftmanship, SUPER fast neck and great tone! I'll probably put an Audere pre-amp in her. Lovin it!

18. zbigniew

zbigniew

Nov 14, 2002
    Northern Iceland
    Hi, I have a 1991 B3 (according to Levinson Blade reply).
    I am very happy with it, it plays well and sounds very good - a sort of eighties/nineties "modern jazz" tone.
    I don't know the body wood - maybe alder? The neck is maple with a thick ebony fingerboard and jumbo frets.

The previous owner sanded down the finish on the neck and while I find it very comfortable I am a little worried about leaving it like that. Does anyone know if that's safe? I guess I should look around here for threads about it.

Blade_full01.jpg
    bc_3.jpg
    79_3.jpg
    6d_3.jpg
    1f_3.jpg

andronik likes this.
  19. CrazyWallaWalla

CrazyWallaWalla

Aug 16, 2006
    Toronto
    how un-godly true

20. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    You are correct, sorry for any confusion.