Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SHOW!! YOUR!!! CHEAPO!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Coutts_is_god, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Yeah Squier! :bassist:
    I just like looking at pictures :hyper:

I would show mine but I don't know how to post pictures.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    My imported Hamer 5 ($300ish off eBay in 98-99)
    [​IMG]

and the one I'm waiting for now (shipping from Scottsdale AZ... from eBay $198.49 + shipping :cool: )
    [​IMG]

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    oh yeah my *free* MIJ Squier Strat :ninja:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    I think you overshot on price a little bit ;) I think when he said cheap, he was talking about my starting rig (a pounding 30watt combo! Quake in fear!!!) and bass, which I got for less then you got your Hamer ;) I spent some money and time replacing all the electronics in the P-Bass. It's no longer the shell of what it could be and simply is ;).

[​IMG]

Now here's a look at that beautiful body.
    [​IMG]
    Her name is Mandy (I name all my basses after women I had failed relationships with....). She started out a standard Squier P-Bass with a white pickguard. I painted the pickguard, then took marker to it, then slapped some clear coat on it to seal it all in. I still use it and plan to untill I get my Traben a little later this year.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    [​IMG] my fretless essex p bass.

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    My cheapo:

[​IMG]

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ha ha..

8. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    ProgZilla, you're the biggest cheapskate I know!! :p

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I almost posted the same thread about a week ago, I was thinking more along the lines of ones guys have carved up some, modified. You always see all the high dollar stuff. There are some excellent cheap basses out there.

I just sold a Schecter Stiletto NT Elite 4 with Bart M34C soaps with vol/tones for each pup and a triple throw switch that runs outside coils (J tone), duals, and inside coils (J tone but more full with more mids) respectively. More and better sounds out of that combo than I got with a Bart NTMB or TCT 3 band in it. I couldnt hardly get the sound out of the bassment using the preamps. Running passive it puts out from bassment to ridge and dead quiet. Frets dressed, low action - you can chord and fingerpick it like a standard 6 string. Not a scratch or ding on it and gold hardware is untouched. $300. And that's high dollar for me.

Looks like all the rest of them with an extra knob and switch - It's headed to Californie soon as the dinero arrives.

10. Steve-O18

Steve-O18

Feb 19, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Galveston sixer i got off of ebay for 192$

11. TomLeggate

TomLeggate

Feb 21, 2004
    How cheap is cheap?

I got a MIJ precision for £60.

12. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    yeah!

13. My no-name, 35" scale P-copy my dad's friend found in a pawn shop and gave to me. It's pretty run down (read: the nut wasn't glued on, bad pots, so on), but I plan on spending about 3-400 bucks and completely remodelling most of it, new pups, bridge, tuners (the neckdive is insane), a proper set up, that sort of thing.

[​IMG]

14. LIMOZEEEEN!

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nice socks.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    For $300-$400 you can get a new Mexican Fender P bass or something else!

17. Meh, I like the thought of having my own the way I choose. It's practically free, why not fix it up for the price of a MIM and have it exactly the way I'd probably spend another hundred or so to get the Fender?

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well ya COULD start new with an Essex P bass, higher quality than what you got, for only $110, and then you dont need to upgrade too much on those. Pickups, maybe the pots, tuners if you want, maybe bridge. Should run yha around $150-200.

19. Yeah and those certainly aren't bad ideas, but I can't justify the idea of buying a brand new bass when I can fix up one of my crappy half-run down basses that I got for free that are laying around.

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah ic ic, ok then. Good luck with the upgrades :) !